Former VA AA schools

redtiger

In one of the current threads someone mentioned Narrows was AA at one time, I was just wondering what VA schools used to be AA and have dropped? Also what were their enrollments(roughly) during their AA days. Some of the schools I know but not many and I have no idea on enrollments. The drop year would also be nice. Lets say schools that dropped into regions C or D. Throw former AAA schools that dropped to AA in there too(some of the Roanoke schools?).

Gate City dropped '01

Grundy dropped '11

Graham dropped '11

George Wythe dropped in '91

Radford dropped '93

Patrick Henry dropped '88

JS Battle '94

Lee dropped '07

Virginia dropped '07

Lebanon dropped in '91, moved up in '96, dropped again in '01

Giles dropped '93

Narrows dropped '88

Galax dropped '84

Edited by redtiger

Glenvar in 90's, Floyd in 80's, Galax in 80's, Narrows in 87, Radford 90's, Covington 80's, Giles late 80s-early 90's...

I had a list of specific years once upon a time that VHSLhelper gave me but I can't find it...

Guest Highlanders

Radford & Giles dropped down to Group A in 1993 in which they along with Narrows who dropped down to Group A in 1988, Galax who dropped down I think the same year, and George Wythe who dropped down in 91 were in the old New River District which consisted of current Group AA schools such as Blacksburg, Carroll Co, & Christiansburg.

Glenvar was in the Blue Ridge District until the mid 1970's when they actually consolidated with Salem's Andrew Lewis Senior High School to form Salem High School until the mid 1980's, when Salem became a city school.

In one of the current threads someone mentioned Narrows was AA at one time, I was just wondering what VA schools used to be AA and have dropped? Also what were their enrollments(roughly) during their AA days. Some of the schools I know but not many and I have no idea on enrollments. The drop year would also be nice. Lets say schools that dropped into regions C or D. Throw former AAA schools that dropped to AA in there too(some of the Roanoke schools?).

Gate City dropped '01

Grundy dropped '11

Graham dropped '11

George Wythe dropped in '91

Radford

Patrick Henry dropped '88

JS Battle '94

Lee dropped '06

Virginia dropped '06

Lebanon dropped in '91, moved up in '96, dropped again in '01

VHS and Lee dropped in the 07-08 school year, not 06 (that was my senior year and Battle was in it's last year of the Hogo while Lee and VHS were in the last year of the Highlands, Clinch Mtn. was formed the next year).

Galax dropped down to the MED in 84.

First year of A ball they went 9-1 with seven shutouts but had a 2-point loss to Floyd and didn't make the playoffs.

Fort Chiswell was part of the old New River District, too.

Not a Region C or D school but William Campbell used to be AA as well. From what I heard they played as AA with D1 numbers for years. Gate City beat them in 94 in the Division 3 State Semifinals. Dont know what year they dropped to D1.

Not a Region C or D school but William Campbell used to be AA as well. From what I heard they played as AA with D1 numbers for years. Gate City beat them in 94 in the Division 3 State Semifinals. Dont know what year they dropped to D1.

William Campbell had an enrollment of 398 in 1995 when they played Graham in the State Semis...and they did pretty well against those larger Seminole District schools...

I really dont understand why schools do that? It has never made sense to me. I could see if you are very geographically isolated.

Narrows dropped prior to the '88 school year. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Giles dropped down before the '90 school year.

From what I understand Narrows went down the same path that Graham is going down now. Only difference with Narrows is that I'm fairly certain they had what would be A numbers now all along with Div 2 numbers until the mid '80's when Celanese really started cutting heads on the hourly side of operations. Once they dropped to Div. 1 enrollment numbers they decided to go ahead and drop down to A. On a hunch, I'm thinking Giles was the same way in that once they finally dropped to A numbers, they went ahead and dropped down and joined Narrows in the MED. From 90-93, the MED consisted of (football wise) Narrows, Giles, Fort, Galax, Grayson, Shawsville, Auburn, and Floyd. Bland and Rocky Gap were members also for all other sports as varsity football didn't come along as it is now till '92 or '93. Radford dropped down after '93 and Glenvar left the Pioneer after '93 and thats when those 2 plus the MED split made the Three Rivers and MED as it is today.

Guest Highlanders

The only schools that acutally moved up from the old New River District was the old Dublin & Pulaski High Schools which became Pulaski County High School in 1974. The old Dublin High School at that time had 1,024 students and the old Pulaski had 1,500 making them the two largest schools in the NRD before consolidation.

New River

B'burg 70-95, Blue Ridge 96-2002, River Ridge 2003-

C'burg 70-95, " " " " " "

Carroll 70-95, Southwest 96-

Radford 70-93, 3 Rivers 84-

Giles 70-89, MED 90-92, ??? 93 ??? 3 Rivers 94-

G Wythe 70-89, Hogo 90-

Narrows 70-87, MED 88-

Galax 70-83, MED 84-

Floyd 70-78, MED 79-93, 3 Rivers 94-

Dublin 70-73, merged into Pulaski Co. in 1974, AAA 74-2000

Pulaski 70-73 " " "

Not sure how far out geographically you want to go, but if you're talking AAA moving to AA, there have been several in addition to Pulaski and Salem already mentioned, though I'm not sure of the exact years.

Northside (dropped same year as Salem)

William Fleming (dropped down, then moved back up)

Cave Spring (due to Hidden Valley being built)

Heritage

E.C. Glass (recently)

Amherst Co. (dropped in first half of 90s, then moved back to AAA before dropping again)

Incidentally there has been talk in Lynchburg of consolidating Glass and Heritage due to structural problems at Heritage, which would make a AAA-sized school.

At one time the Western and Roanoke Valley District has as many as seven teams each.

RVD:

Salem, Pulaski, Patrick Henry, Fleming, Northside, Cave Spring, Franklin Co.

Western:

Glass, Heritage, Amherst, GW Danville, Halifax, Albemarle, Charlottesville

William Campbell had an enrollment of 398 in 1995 when they played Graham in the State Semis...and they did pretty well against those larger Seminole District schools...

The ye sure did do well against them. Being in the State Semis in 94 and 95 was no easy task for a school that small playing against the other Seminole teams!Wonder how they would have done in D1 or 2 those years?