Thoughts on Graham

GHS89

actually if you look at our district right now the only team that is smaller in size than ghs is bland.

You and GMan keep glossing over the central theme of my posts, that it's instruction or lack thereof that is worring me, not whose larger. Williams had 3+ weeks to teach tackling and blocking, and not to put too fine a point on it, Friday night those two areas looked bad.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I want to B&M about the lack of coaching. On field performance is mearly a symptom of the teams real problem.

this teams problems are from you best bud marrs years of poor coaching. not caring about the team but only his kids getting them into college at the expense of the program. williams is a good coach but not a miracle worker. cannot change 6 years of poor coaching in one month. again go with your best bud leave the area and this board unless you can support this team. you also sound like a lot of sour grapes because the communtiy banded together to rid this team community and school of a group of terriable coaches. you are probably crying yourself to sleep every night because you bud is not the coach at ghs any more and all you can do is try and put down a coach before he has time to rebuild this team from what marrs did to it.so get lost

You and GMan keep glossing over the central theme of my posts, that it's instruction or lack thereof that is worring me, not whose larger. Williams had 3+ weeks to teach tackling and blocking, and not to put too fine a point on it, Friday night those two areas looked bad.

wow 3 weeks to change 6 years of poor teaching from your best bud marrs. only kids on this team that were not influenced by marrs are the freshmen and they do not play. the others were tought by your best bud marrs. once bad habits are learned it takes time to unlearn them. not done in 3 weeks. look at you, you seem to love marrs and cannot change yourself of loving him in 3 weeks either. please go away and love marrs somewhere else.

Lack of instruction for the entire time they played under Marrs...

Williams can not "undo" in 3+ weeks the damage that was done to the senior class the last 3+ years...apples and bowling balls, my friend...

this coach had more to teach these kids other than just blocking and tackling. they had to learn to stay with their assignment which they did. they were not out of position on the majority of plays. they did a much better job of pass coverage. not great but much better. they stayed with the receivers. the defense other than with #4 did tackle. no one in this area is going to be able to tackle this kid without having more than a team around him. ghs showed improvement from the marrs debacle of 6 years. they showed heart and were in condition. they played the entire game they did not give up, they had more heart than any team marrs coached. so leave this area and board. until you decide to give this team and coach support and time to correct your buds mistakes.

the central theme of your posts as you put is is your love of marrs. and the fact that the communtiy banded together to make a change for the good of ghs and they did that. you would not be happy until marrs was in charge i feel. and no other coach would be good enough for you other than marrs.

Lack of instruction for the entire time they played under Marrs...

Williams can not "undo" in 3+ weeks the damage that was done to the senior class the last 3+ years...apples and bowling balls, my friend...

Oh no, you have "predecessor syndrome" too? I guess this conversation is over since I seem to be the only one left with oxygen reaching the brain.

Oh no, you have "predecessor syndrome" too? I guess this conversation is over since I seem to be the only one left with oxygen reaching the brain.

you call what you have a brain. a snail has more of a brain than you seem to have. hopefully we will not see you here anymore. move with marrs and love him. and good luck.(not.)

actually we have what is called common sense something that you seem to be lacking. i guess that is from 6 years of admiring marrs and his lack of coaching at ghs. you sound like someone that does not want ghs to be a good team anymore. all i can hope is that your computer breaks and cannot post nonsense like you are posting about ghs anymore.

I couldn't disagree more, good coaching would overcome the most glaring problems that Graham is afflicted with. Inability to block, inability to tackle, inability to get off a block, motivation and on field effort. Those were the most glaring defecits that I saw on Friday, not talent level or athleticism. The things Graham does most poorly, are correctible with proper instruction.

My simple question is do you expect that all the glaring weaknesses and bad habits to have been completely corrected in 4 weeks of practice? Have you ever tried to correct a bad habit you got into? I have and it takes a great deal of time and attention.

The coaching seems to be getting the guys better in the areas you are talking about. For one thing, I saw players staying in position and not trying to freelance. Old fashioned assignment football. Yeah, at times the reverted to their bad habits of hitting high and not driving through.

All in all considering how poorly they played last year, I saw better fundamentals, more focus and determination than I have in years. So many Freshmen and Sophomores are getting good experience and learning how to do things the right way. To expect all the problems and deficiencies of previous years to go away in 4 weeks is unrealistic.

Have you ever tried to correct a bad habit you got into? I have and it takes a great deal of time and attention.

All you have to do to answer this question is take a look at this golf swing...:D

Fact is, Graham just doesn't have a bunch of talent right now. The talent they do have hasn't been taught the right way to play football until this August. No coach in the world can fix that in a month. It will be when the current freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors that I would expect to see a good Graham team. Coach Williams has got to instill his weight program and his discipline before things change and he just hasn't had enough time yet. Graham will be lucky to win 3 games this year, but if they do then I think that is a very good season.

Fact is, Graham just doesn't have a bunch of talent right now. The talent they do have hasn't been taught the right way to play football until this August. No coach in the world can fix that in a month. It will be when the current freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors that I would expect to see a good Graham team. Coach Williams has got to instill his weight program and his discipline before things change and he just hasn't had enough time yet. Graham will be lucky to win 3 games this year, but if they do then I think that is a very good season.

I completely agree. It's darn near impossible to re-train someone to do something that's been taught wrong for years. I'm hoping for the best for these boys, but it's gonna be a long road ahead.

if you dont like what is going on at ghs with new coach i would suggest that you wash your hands of the program and leave this board and if you live in blfd move to a town that you have pride in. i take pride in blfd va and ghs and the team and new coach. he is taking charge and responsiblility for this school and team. so get on board or move.

A-Men

If nothing else, coach Williams demonstrates character and leadership to his players and instills that in them. They may or may not end up being winners on the field, but they'll be winners in life. How can anybody complain about that?

Sorry to tell you, it'll take more than 3 weeks to fix the problems at Graham....he's had to instill an entirely new offense. It took Coach Williams a total of ONE game to realize what Marrs never did....and that is that these kids lack fundamentals....

Like I said in a previous thread, I honestly was impressed with their tackling. Look at last years Graham Beaver game: you will see "tackling" that consisted of running up and trying to knock someone down. There was no wrapping up. There was no swarming to the ball carrier. A lot of the time the players were just out in the field looking confused as to where they needed to be. This years Graham Beaver game: you find players trying to wrap up on a player who was breaking tackles of for players that were on him because he had some strong legs to chop his feet right through the "tackles". You saw players swarming to the ball. Players that was watching where the ball was at and trying to get to the carrier. I even think last year and previous years players would stop chasing a player if they broke free. This year you had kids chasing trying to give every bit of themselves to try and at least make a tackle. They had passion to change, passion to be a team to be reckoned with, THEY HAD PASSION. I think even Coach Carlock would of been proud that they never gave up. And like one of the previous threads said about hearing that the graham players had put holes in the walls, may not of been the right thing to do but that shows that they were upset of how things were going and that they had the hope that they could do it when clearly they were the underdogs going into this game. I had hope to see improvement. My hope was full filled in the fact that I did see improvement from the years Coach Marrs was there.

As several have already stated on here it takes time. Graham will be ok but it can't happen overnight. Look at us we got a beatdown put on us by a huge team from GW. Are we complaining that the coach is not doing his job?

I have to say this weeks matchup of Tazwell Vs Graham will be a good game to really see where each team is at in its rebuilding phase. It should be something fairly close. I say this to any person out there Graham or Tazewell fan, give the coach a chance to see what they can do. After mid season then you can make a fair judgement to see if they are improving or not.

As a Beaver fan I would think that most Graham fans would be happy with what they witnessed Friday night. Tackling and blocking can be worked on and fixed with proper coaching and practice. But what impressed me the most on Friday night was the discipline and intensity that the Graham kids played with. I haven't seen that in the past couple of years. X's and O's can be fixed, and it looks like the new coach has the intangibles in place to start building a program up. Give the guy a chance, he just saw what his team could and could not do for the first time in a game situation. A lot of these areas that need worked on just do not show up in practice or scrimmages. But the kids represented themselves well and never laid down or quit and you should be proud of that. Best of luck to Graham and the new coach, I think he will be a good one.

When Tazewell put holes in the walll two years ago Wyatt was acused of not having any "control" of his team. Now it appears to be ok, great to be showing emotions!

no one said it was ok but it showed that a team that had lacked emotion finally had that and cared about what they showed on the field. also we do pay to use the field taz does not. if they damaged the locker it will be fixed by ghs. taz i doubt did fix it.

As several have already stated on here it takes time. Graham will be ok but it can't happen overnight. Look at us we got a beatdown put on us by a huge team from GW. Are we complaining that the coach is not doing his job?

I have to say this weeks matchup of Tazwell Vs Graham will be a good game to really see where each team is at in its rebuilding phase. It should be something fairly close. I say this to any person out there Graham or Tazewell fan, give the coach a chance to see what they can do. After mid season then you can make a fair judgement to see if they are improving or not.

this is one jerk who seems to still have a love affair with previous coach and did not want change at ghs and cannot stand the fact that he has been proved wrong that marrs was a good coach, and just has to complain about the new coach to make himself feel better.i was at the game and i did not hear one bad thing about the way the team looked other than they need to tackle better and that will come with more practice.this team showed tons of heart and never gave up even though they were out of the game early they played their hearts out.

I hear Graham Middle beat Bluefield Middle last night 12-6. That's two years in a row so there should be good players coming to the high school level for the next few years.

i think ghs is on the way back with the new coach.l it will show up at the middle school i think with more kids wanting to play and at the highschool with increased enthiuasiam for the football program. it is starting to show with the boosters club on the way back also. the pregame meal for the players is back and the bus for long away game trips. all that was taken when marrs was coach mainly because the boosters could not support a coach like marrs that did not care about the team.williams is a coach for the kids and the school, he seems to be very supportive of the boosters club also

this is one jerk who seems to still have a love affair with previous coach and did not want change at ghs and cannot stand the fact that he has been proved wrong that marrs was a good coach, and just has to complain about the new coach to make himself feel better.i was at the game and i did not hear one bad thing about the way the team looked other than they need to tackle better and that will come with more practice.this team showed tons of heart and never gave up even though they were out of the game early they played their hearts out.

That's all you can ask for is for the team to give it their all. We were down badly early on and the Dawgs never quit, that's says a lot of a coach.

I can't speak personally for Graham and I haven't talked to anyone here at work about what actually happened at the game on Friday. Honestly how can anyone love Doug Marrs? It's bad when Tazewell and Richlands people both felt bad for how bad Graham was doing after all.

That's all you can ask for is for the team to give it their all. We were down badly early on and the Dawgs never quit, that's says a lot of a coach.

I can't speak personally for Graham and I haven't talked to anyone here at work about what actually happened at the game on Friday. Honestly how can anyone love Doug Marrs? It's bad when Tazewell and Richlands people both felt bad for how bad Graham was doing after all.

this graham team is in much better shape at the end of the game now than years past the did not hang their heads they played hard from start to finish. they have pride in their selves and school now which they have not had in the past 6 years. the town is behind this team again. i did not hear any bad mouthing from the fans at the game complaining about the game. only that the kids played their hearts out against a team that had them outmanned and was much better this year again. but give a couple of years and teams had better watch out for this coach and his gmen.

I hear Graham Middle beat Bluefield Middle last night 12-6. That's two years in a row so there should be good players coming to the high school level for the next few years.

Awesome!! Who's coaching the middle school, now that Remines has moved up? Coppolo?