Thoughts on Graham

GHS89

Yeah, we lost, but the effort was great. I was happy to see the G-Men come out of the half throwing the ball. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But the bottom line is I don't think the coaches cared if they lost 10 - 0 or 100 - 0, they were going to let their team try to make plays. They gave them the opportunity to succeed, or fail, without hiding behind the fear of a blowout. Looking back at the preseason comments that Coach Williams has made, he delivered on what he hoped to deliver. He never promised a win, only that he wanted to see this team improve in every outing, and it seemed to me that they were improving throughout the game. I think he knows that the program is a work in progress, and I for one, am satisfied with that. The G-Men just need to keep their hands on the plow, their heads facing forward, and good things will happen. See yall Friday night.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Graham put holes in the dressing room walls....any truth to this?

if it did happen at least it shows they have more emotion about the game now than the past 6 years and if it did i would drive from staunton to help repair the damage because this team is finally showing emotion and this is a positive for them.

Yeah, we lost, but the effort was great. I was happy to see the G-Men come out of the half throwing the ball. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But the bottom line is I don't think the coaches cared if they lost 10 - 0 or 100 - 0, they were going to let their team try to make plays. They gave them the opportunity to succeed, or fail, without hiding behind the fear of a blowout. Looking back at the preseason comments that Coach Williams has made, he delivered on what he hoped to deliver. He never promised a win, only that he wanted to see this team improve in every outing, and it seemed to me that they were improving throughout the game. I think he knows that the program is a work in progress, and I for one, am satisfied with that. The G-Men just need to keep their hands on the plow, their heads facing forward, and good things will happen. See yall Friday night.

The worst part of Graham's game was tackling from what I saw. I know the kid from Bluefield had a lot of yards and is a tough runner but several times Graham had a shot to bring him down with little or no gain and just didn't make the tackle. They were in the right spot to make the play a lot of times. If Graham improves on their tackling I think they are going to have a good season. Looks like the new coach is just what Graham needed.

........They're slow, small and don't block or tackle well......the O-line and the backfield aren't in sinc, so we haven't praticed as a offensive unit very much........the defensive line is the weakest in my memory......and the penalties are already piling up. Quite frankly, the team is as bad or worse as the same time last year.

Let's be honest, the program passed away with Glen Carlock.

Edited by sandman

Quite framkly, the team is as bad or worse as the same time last year.

Well when there is a coach there that basically destroys the program in 6 years, it may take more than 1 game to prove that there better.

They have a new system in, numerous new coaches. Give it time, just give it some time.

Well when there is a coach there that basically destroys the program in 6 years, it may take more than 1 game to prove that there better.

They have a new system in, numerous new coaches. Give it time, just give it some time.

So you're an advocate of the "Obama Predecessor Philosophy"?

........They're slow, small and don't block or tackle well......the O-line and the backfield aren't in sinc, so we haven't praticed as a offensive unit very much........the defensive line is the weakest in my memory......and the penalties are already piling up. Quite frankly, the team is as bad or worse as the same time last year.

if you dont like what is going on at ghs with new coach i would suggest that you wash your hands of the program and leave this board and if you live in blfd move to a town that you have pride in. i take pride in blfd va and ghs and the team and new coach. he is taking charge and responsiblility for this school and team. so get on board or move.

Just a thought here.....It takes 4-5 years for a good coach to fix what a bad coach can destroy in 2. Be patient, it may take 3-4 years. Good luck to everyone this season.

I couldn't disagree more, good coaching would overcome the most glaring problems that Graham is afflicted with. Inability to block, inability to tackle, inability to get off a block, motivation and on field effort. Those were the most glaring defecits that I saw on Friday, not talent level or athleticism. The things Graham does most poorly, are correctible with proper instruction.

I couldn't disagree more, good coaching would overcome the most glaring problems that Graham is afflicted with. Inability to block, inability to tackle, inability to get off a block, motivation and on field effort. Those were the most glaring defecits that I saw on Friday, not talent level or athleticism. The things Graham does most poorly, are correctible with proper instruction.

as i said on another post you must be a marrs subject and love this man. no coach can change in one month and one game what a bad coach like marrs corrupted in 6 years. look at vt. it took beamer several seasons to turn the program around even with being able to get the best kids from va. ghs does not have that many kids to play for the team it will take time for coach williams to get the program on the right track. but if you cannot support him and the team then i suggest as before please move to nc with marrs and live with him and worship him from there. leave this team alone.

if you dont like what is going on at ghs with new coach i would suggest that you wash your hands of the program and leave this board and if you live in blfd move to a town that you have pride in. i take pride in blfd va and ghs and the team and new coach. he is taking charge and responsiblility for this school and team. so get on board or move.

Blind faith and acceptance of current team performance is what landed Graham's football program into the situation that is now finds itself.

The most glaring problem is lack of size...period...and you can't coach size...

Also, considering what they weren't taught over the last several years (block, tackle), the learning curve for most of these kids is going to be steep...especially when going up against larger (physically) opponents...

so get on board or move.

Blind faith and acceptance of current team performance is what landed Graham's football program into the situation that is now finds itself.

You're either with us or you aren't...give Coach Williams a chance to turn things around...Rome wasn't built in a day.

You want to B&M about performance, go get you some green and white and head to T-town on Friday nights...or sit on the visitors side this week...

The most glaring problem is lack of size...period...and you can't coach size...

Also, considering what they weren't taught over the last several years (block, tackle), the learning curve for most of these kids is going to be steep...especially when going up against larger (physically) opponents...

I'm going to mark this post and revisit this thread when, in the middle of district play, when our "size" isn't a problem they're struggling because they still havent been taught to block or tackle.

I'm going to mark this post and revisit this thread when, in the middle of district play, when our "size" isn't a problem they're struggling because they still havent been taught to block or tackle.

I've seen the rosters of Fort Chiswell, Galax, and Grayson Co....they dwarf this year's Graham team. The only teams that will be the same size, physically, as Graham are Bland and Narrows...and Graham will beat both by 20+ points.

Graham only has 4 players over 250...and seven more barely over the 200lb mark. The tallest player on the team is 6'1.5"...and he is a FR.

It doesn't matter what Classification or District you play in, when you are playing with kids the size of most JV teams, its an uphill battle.

... go get you some green and white and head to T-town on Friday nights...or sit on the visitors side this week...

This rings so true from a man whose wife makes him attend every Bluefield game, no matter where Graham happens to be playing. And anyway Tazewell may be in even more dire straights than Graham.

actually if you look at our district right now the only team that is smaller in size than ghs is bland.

no blind i know it will take this coach time to fix what your best bud marrs messed up. again if you cannot support the team until he gets things turned around then move to nc with marrs and love him and worship him at his feet.

No, I want to B&M about the lack of coaching. On field performance is mearly a symptom of the teams real problem.

The coaching is fine...the problem is "fans" like you B&M-ing all the time...

And considering this group of seniors has never been "coached" to block and tackle, I think they did well in spite of that fact...

This rings so true from a man whose wife makes him attend every Bluefield game, no matter where Graham happens to be playing. And anyway Tazewell may be in even more dire straights than Graham.

My wife doesn't make me attend the Bluefield games...I've done it of my own free will for the last six seasons. Truth be told, she'd be happy not attending any games at all. As a matter of fact, it was my choice not to attend any Graham games last season. After Friday, I'll be 2-for-2 this season...

BTW, when they start winning...don't try to jump on the bandwagon...

Oh, and don't get PO'd at me by bringing wives into this conversation...I gave you the opportunity to run like hell, you just didn't take the chance...