Abingdon

UNIONFAN

I havent heard much on this game. Did the birds from the big sity of sophistication win or were they too concerned with the announcers grammer to play good ball? Someone please inform me of what went down

Sloppy offensive game with loads of turnovers and penalties. Both teams moved the ball decent but kept shooting themselves in the foot. Chilhowie interception return for TD in second qtr was only score. Chilhowie probably lost about 5 fumbles including on the 1 yard line going in for a score.

The squad from Abingdon was victimized via the terrible plot from an evil businessman from Chilhowie who paid the cooks at Cracker Barrell in Abingdon to taint the Falcon pre-game meal. A healthy dose of Epicac in the mashed taters totally wiped the poor Falcons out :)

Chilhowie edges Abingdon, 7-0

By: Allen Gregory

Published: September 10, 2011

CHILHOWIE, Va. --

Buddy Brooks saw it coming.

With 10:55 left in the second quarter, the lanky Chilhowie sophomore charged from his defensive end spot to intercept a pass. Seconds later, he was mobbed by joyous teammates in the end zone.

It turned out to be a scrapbook moment for Brooks and disaster for the Abingdon Falcons.

Behind the 58-yard interception return, the Warriors blanked AHS 7-0.

“The quarterback dropped back to pass and I saw the running back coming out to my side,†Brooks said. “I just jumped up, got the ball and took off.â€

The non-district game was a defensive slugfest, as both teams searched for a flow on offense.

Chilhowie (2-1) lost three fumbles, including a giveaway at the AHS 1-yard line midway through the final quarter.

Entering the season, veteran Chilhowie coach Larry Russell was concerned with how his young team would respond to such adversity. Junior linebacker Bryan Vance, senior lineman Jacob Shuler (6-0, 250) and versatile senior Brett Johnson all delivered big defensive plays Friday. But a sophomore played the hero role.

“That was a beautiful play by Buddy,†Russell said. “He read the running back and made a great catch. Buddy got an interception just like that earlier this season. He’s a tall, raw-boned boy and a just good ball player.â€

The Warriors needed a big play as AHS held the Chilhowie rushing game to 106 yards. The normally prolific Johnson managed just 53 yards on 16 carries. He scored 33 touchdowns last season.

“Give Abingdon credit, they’re a lot more physical than I’ve seen them in the past,†Russell said. “This came down to a hard-nosed Friday night ballgame.â€

AHS coach John Bowles felt his defenders deserved more of a reward for their hustle.

“I’m proud of our defense, but we just made too many mistakes on offense to even give ourselves a chance at times,†Bowles said.

After years of relying on the pass with prolific quarterbacks such as Jake Hess and Adam Henderson, the Falcons (1-2) are scrambling to make a transition to a more power-based attack. AHS has completed just five passes for 43 yards in three games.

“It’s kind to easy to see that we’re struggling with the passing game,†Bowles said. “Right now, we’re going to have to get 3-4 yards at a time, and hopefully we can continue to play real good defense.

“We’re real proud of our boys on both sides of the ball. They kept scrapping and fighting and clawing to just try to get a victory. We just got to find the right mix. We’re getting closer.â€

AHS senior Caleb Widner, who began the season at quarterback, once again worked overtime as he rushed for 123 yards on 32 attempts. Widner actually carried ball on the first eight plays of the game, but the Warrior defense remained stingy. AHS was also hurt by eight penalties.

“My defensive coordinator (Jeff Robinson) loves those goose eggs,†said Russell, referring to the shutout. “We gave [Abingdon] the ball so many times, but our guys played their hearts out.â€

Senior Aaron Conley contributed 58 yards rushing and solid defense for the Warriors.

“We’ve got a lot of inexperience and all our linemen except one are off the junior varsity, but our seven seniors are leading us,†said Russell, who used a variety of offensive sets. “It’s a work-in-progress, but the guys are coming on.â€

The Falcons had a drive stopped at the Chilhowie one-yard line in the second quarter. Senior Dakota Fields (5-8, 210) and junior fullback Grayson Toler helped key the AHS running attack with crisp blocks, while junior free safety Justin Vance, sophomore Hunter Norris and senior Matt Nash played well on defense. Widner recovered a fumble and intercepted a pass for AHS.

As for the game-changing interception by Brooks, the Abingdon coach gave the Chilhowie sophomore credit for his instincts and talent. Brooks jumped high in the air and caught the ball in his hands like a receiver.

“That was just a good play,†Bowles said. Brooks said it was just a matter of preparation.

‘‘I could see the pass coming, so I just read it,†Brooks said. “It’s pretty cool that the game came down to a defensive play. That’s real exciting.â€

The Falcons drove to the Chilhowie 38-yard line with 1:31 left in the game before Conley ended the suspense with an interception.

Abingdon 0 0 0 0-0

Chilhowie 0 7 0 0-7

Scoring Summary

C-Brooks 58 interception return (Farris kick)

Team Stats

First Downs: A 12, C 16; Rushes-Yards: A 43-142, C 30-106; Passing Yards: A 14, C 86; Comp.-Att.-Int.: A 1-10-1, C 6-14-1; Penalties-Yards: A 8-70, C 7-80; Fumbles-Lost: A 0-0, C 3-3; Punts-Average: A 3-34, C 1-34.

The squad from Abingdon was victimized via the terrible plot from an evil businessman from Chilhowie who paid the cooks at Cracker Barrell in Abingdon to taint the Falcon pre-game meal. A healthy dose of Epicac in the mashed taters totally wiped the poor Falcons out :)

This should be the post of the year. I'm still laughing. Thanks for making my day

That was funny I have to admit.

It was almost as funny as getting sacked on your own 10 with 20 seconds to go before the half and having Battle scoop up a fumble for a touchdown. I don't believe Battle had any timeouts left either. Hmmmm.

That was funny I have to admit.

It was almost as funny as getting sacked on your own 10 with 20 seconds to go before the half and having Battle scoop up a fumble for a touchdown. I don't believe Battle had any timeouts left either. Hmmmm.

u hav ur fats worng ther wuz bout a min lft i wuz ther jus w8t til u c bttle.

u hav ur fats worng ther wuz bout a min lft i wuz ther jus w8t til u c bttle.

Here we go again with "Hooked on Phonics". I am sorry, I should have said Ebonics. Oh one entire minute left. Wow and you expect to go 90 yards in a minute. Most NFL and college teams would have a hard time going 90 yards in a minute even. Maybe you couldn't read the clock correctly, since you can even understand what you are trying to say on here. Maybe you could go get Buckwheat and Alfalfa to translate for you. JA!