Clemson vs. VT

vthokies4life

One of the worst games I have ever seen VT play.

Offense was clueless.

Defense played great, holding Clemson to 23 points with the athletes that have is a strong effort.

Dabo saved his job by hiring Chad Morris, that guy knows how to run an offense.

VT will have trouble winning the coastal this year

I don't buy that the offense was clueless. They moved the ball, dominated time of possession, but kept shooting themselves in the foot with untimely penalties to stifle drives and poor play calling at times. (Come on, run a stretch play on 3rd and 1 against a speed defense.) Much of what looked like cluelessness was Clemson, like most everyone else knowing Tech's offensive tendencies. I thought the no huddle was an attempt to shake things up.

The D played great but committed penalties that extended drives.

I don't share the gloom and doom view of others, but the mistakes need be cleaned up and maybe they need to have Bud view the offensive game film so they start to see their tendencies.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the worst games I have ever seen VT play.

Offense was clueless.

Defense played great, holding Clemson to 23 points with the athletes that have is a strong effort.

Dabo saved his job by hiring Chad Morris, that guy knows how to run an offense.

VT will have trouble winning the coastal this year

Dang, boy!!! Where you been???? Glad to see you found your way back here!

I don't buy that the offense was clueless. They moved the ball, dominated time of possession, but kept shooting themselves in the foot with untimely penalties to stifle drives and poor play calling at times. (Come on, run a stretch play on 3rd and 1 against a speed defense.) Much of what looked like cluelessness was Clemson, like most everyone else knowing Tech's offensive tendencies. I thought the no huddle was an attempt to shake things up.

The D played great but committed penalties that extended drives.

I don't share the gloom and doom view of others, but the mistakes need be cleaned up and maybe they need to have Bud view the offensive game film so they start to see their tendencies.

Play calling was clueless...even O'Cain admitted as much...

Haven't seen any articles or interviews so I didn't know O'Cain had said anything.

"I need to go back and look at things," O'Cain said. "Maybe I need to take more shots down the field, I don't know. I never felt like I got into a rhythm tonight."

To paraphrase...he had no clue...

On 3rd down there were numerous times we never threw for 1st down yardage. I watched the replay last night to make sure I wasn't imagining things...the play calling was predictable and very poor. Our best back would get a little momentum and then get taken off the field for way to long. Clemson was very good....but we should've scored more than 3 points.

Dang, boy!!! Where you been???? Glad to see you found your way back here!

I troll every now and then if there is a relevant topic I care about.

I drove up to go to the game so I was looking for some discussion on the game and hate reading TSL's terrible message board.

Seeing what Chad Morris has done with that offense makes me green with envy.

Unfortunately, VT's defense will probably carry them to a 10 win season so Beamer won't make any changes.

The loss of Hopkins will really hurt, that guy took up some space on the line and seemed to pursue the ball really well but the D will still be solid.

8-straight ten win seasons, most of them with a terrible offense.

Sometimes I think the best thing for VT would be to go 6-6 so Beamer would be forced to make some changes.

I took the time to read Chad Morris bio on the Clemson web site. He was a very successful coach in TX high school, and was the offensive coordinator @ Tulsa last year. I was impressed with the offensive scheme, especially when they rolled Boyd.

I know someone said Dabo took a chance on Morris. It was the same chance Houston Nutt took at Arkansas on Gus Malzone, who had been a HS coach in AR.

Beamer once turned the keys to the D over to a young buck and that has turned out pretty well.

Beamer once turned the keys to the D over to a young buck and that has turned out pretty well.

But he hasn't completely turned the keys to the O over to Stinespring...makes you wonder if Beamer has complete trust in him...also makes you shake your head and ask if he doesn't completely trust him to run the O, why hold on to him???

<------Convinced that Stinespring is Beamer's lovechild...

But he hasn't completely turned the keys to the O over to Stinespring...makes you wonder if Beamer has complete trust in him...also makes you shake your head and ask if he doesn't completely trust him to run the O, why hold on to him???

<------Convinced that Stinespring is Beamer's lovechild...

Best explanation I have heard

Your choice Gary Tranquell, Ricky Bustle, or Stiney. I would take his old Murray State buddy the Fridge over all of these.

Fridge would be great, but haven't you heard he is flying a Georgia Tech flag now?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/ralph-friedgen-ive-burned-my-diploma-and-is-flying-a-georgia-tech-flag-right-now/2011/09/30/gIQAd61v9K_blog.html

Yeah I had heard. He also burned his Maryland diploma. Living on Lake Lanier, he should fly a GT flag. If for no other reason than to irk Mark Richt.

Edited by Hacker

I don't think it's Lake Lanier... that's my area. Fridge and Beamer both own homes on Lake Oconee in Greene Co. GA. Oconee is quieter with less boat traffic and not as big as Lanier. (I go up a couple of times a year to Oconee.)

Here's a recap of the golf tourney they had this year at Reynolds Plantation between the ACC and SEC NCAA football coaches.

http://www.chick-fil-abowlchallenge.com/

BTW, Coach Richt put his lake home on Lake Hartwell up for sale(don't know if it's on the GA or SC side)... motivated by his faith ...

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2011/05/25/mark-richt-says-decision-to-sell-lake-hartwell-property-was-christian-motivated/

BTW, Coach Richt put his lake home on Lake Hartwell up for sale(don't know if it's on the GA or SC side)... motivated by his faith ...

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2011/05/25/mark-richt-says-decision-to-sell-lake-hartwell-property-was-christian-motivated/

I guess "faith" sounds better than "probably won't have a job in 6 months"...

Why not? He's a lot better than what we've got...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Can it really get any worse than what we have??

I work for Bank of America at a call center called Sykes in Grundy. I talk to over 100 people a day. I had a guy last night ask me where I was from. I told him southwest Virginia. He said is that close to Blacksburg? I replied with yes, and that I was a Hokie fan. Without me saying anything else, his next words were, "Ive only watched a handful of your games the last few years, but I watched the Clemson game. And let me tell you, your offense is more predictable than my local high school team. Who is your OC?" .........I just about died. Lol. We then proceded to have a 30 min long convo on College Sports, with a good amount of that time dedicated to Tech.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Can it really get any worse than what we have??

I work for Bank of America at a call center called Sykes in Grundy. I talk to over 100 people a day. I had a guy last night ask me where I was from. I told him southwest Virginia. He said is that close to Blacksburg? I replied with yes, and that I was a Hokie fan. Without me saying anything else, his next words were, "Ive only watched a handful of your games the last few years, but I watched the Clemson game. And let me tell you, your offense is more predictable than my local high school team. Who is your OC?" .........I just about died. Lol. We then proceded to have a 30 min long convo on College Sports, with a good amount of that time dedicated to Tech.

It's no secret. Our offense is routinely mocked around the college sports world.

What's sad is that so few teams are smart enough to load the box on you, bump the WRs, and force you to beat them through the air. College DCs are terrible by and large.

Once there was a time when Tech's offense included belly plays to fullbacks, tight ends running seam routes that would catch opponents off guard. Now fullbacks and tight ends mostly block.

Clemson has a very athletic tight end who is a weapon in the passing game and can run block as well.

Once there was a time when Tech's offense included belly plays to fullbacks, tight ends running seam routes that would catch opponents off guard. Now fullbacks and tight ends mostly block.

Clemson has a very athletic tight end who is a weapon in the passing game and can run block as well.

That's what UVA used to have in its TEs: good blockers while being able-handed. Had 4 straight play in the NFL, and might have 5 if Colter Phillips ever heals.

Guest The Variable
That's what UVA used to have in its TEs: good blockers while being able-handed. Had 4 straight play in the NFL, and might have 5 if Colter Phillips ever heals.

Poor Santi, Lewis put a pounding on him two years ago when Peyton started passing to him.

Poor Santi, Lewis put a pounding on him two years ago when Peyton started passing to him.

Yep. I still think Santi could've made a solid TE were he not placed behind an all-pro at the position.

Like a poorer man's Heath Miller. A bit worse blocker, but actually a bit better of a pure receiver.

But damn, Lewis actually timed that hit. Wow.