ESPN dumps Hank over Obama comment

VHSLhelper

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Censorship in action, whether I agree with someones opinion or not I think you have to support their right to voice it.

Why is it that stars left and right could bash Bush and get away with it but anybody that says something about Obama is crucified???

Why is it that stars left and right could bash Bush and get away with it but anybody that says something about Obama is crucified???

That's not true. The biggest issue here wasn't that Hank said something negative about Obama, it was more so the use of Hitler as a comparison. People always seem to get upset when you compare anything to the Holocaust or Hitler. Besides, do you not remember when the Dixie Chicks said that stuff about Bush? They didn't exactly get away unscathed.

For the record: In my opinion, the comparison was silly, but not worthy of getting your panties in a wad.

I say bad things about both on a routine basis. Some days you just have to exercise the Troll inside yourself.

"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," he wrote. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It's been a great run." Hank Williams Jr

Guest The Variable
There's Freedom of Speech, Hank. Not Freedom from Consequence.

Indeed. Not too dissimilar to when I explain to some folks that its freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Guest The Variable
Wait, what?

You can say what you want, but you cannot keep others from disliking what you say and acting on that.

You can believe (or not believe) what you want, but you cannot keep others from believing (or not believing) what they want.

Freedom of Speech is in regards to government penalty and/or cencorship. Its original intent was that you could say what you wanted to without fear of imprisonment or legal penalty by the government (civil suits notwithstanding)

Freedom of Religion allows you to practice your religion with much of the same liberty. I know folks (and indeed there are many in the public eye and media) who want any public display of religion eliminated because it offends, or somehow annoys others. Freedom of Religion does not say anything about you being free from others practicing openly. It seems to be a somewhat popular complaint among atheists who think anyone believing in a higher power is a flaming idiot.

You can say what you want, but you cannot keep others from disliking what you say and acting on that.

You can believe (or not believe) what you want, but you cannot keep others from believing (or not believing) what they want.

Freedom of Speech is in regards to government penalty and/or cencorship. Its original intent was that you could say what you wanted to without fear of imprisonment or legal penalty by the government (civil suits notwithstanding)

Freedom of Religion allows you to practice your religion with much of the same liberty. I know folks (and indeed there are many in the public eye and media) who want any public display of religion eliminated because it offends, or somehow annoys others. Freedom of Religion does not say anything about you being free from others practicing openly. It seems to be a somewhat popular complaint among atheists who think anyone believing in a higher power is a flaming idiot.

Oh ok, I just needed the elaboration on your quote. I agree to an extent.

That's not remotely true.

Deuces no matter which side of the fence you are on, we both know the media is harder on conservatives than they are on the liberals. What aggravates me the most about this ordeal is Hank never compared Obama to Hitler like some people like to believe. I will admit it was a poor choice of words on his part however.

I don't care about all the uproar. To me it is a non-event. Just another celebrity saying something stupid into a live microphone. Happens everyday to a liberal or a conservative. We should just collect them all into a book and publish it. "Stupid S&(t Celebrities Say"

It might even become a best seller. We could do political editions, social commentary editions, and editions of just general stupidity.

Deuces no matter which side of the fence you are on, we both know the media is harder on conservatives than they are on the liberals. What aggravates me the most about this ordeal is Hank never compared Obama to Hitler like some people like to believe. I will admit it was a poor choice of words on his part however.

Conservative news networks can be outright harsh if not more harsh than the more plentiful liberal news networks. If you want to argue there are more left leaning news outlets, we can agree. There are. But when you talk about "harshness" and "leaning", they lean about the same in opposite directions.

As for conservatives getting it harder, I can't agree with that. Whether political statements or not, every public figure is held accountable for the things they say. The transparency age has been a wake up call for some.

We'll agree to disagree.

I don't care about all the uproar. To me it is a non-event. Just another celebrity saying something stupid into a live microphone. Happens everyday to a liberal or a conservative. We should just collect them all into a book and publish it. "Stupid S&(t Celebrities Say"

It might even become a best seller. We could do political editions, social commentary editions, and editions of just general stupidity.

There we go. Then we can become celebrities and say dumb stuff too!

Conservative news networks can be outright harsh if not more harsh than the more plentiful liberal news networks. If you want to argue there are more left leaning news outlets, we can agree. There are. But when you talk about "harshness" and "leaning", they lean about the same in opposite directions.

As for conservatives getting it harder, I can't agree with that. Whether political statements or not, every public figure is held accountable for the things they say. The transparency age has been a wake up call for some.

We'll agree to disagree.

Deuces, why argue? Can we just go play some golf and not worry about it lol.

What aggravates me the most about this ordeal is Hank never compared Obama to Hitler like some people like to believe. I will admit it was a poor choice of words on his part however.

It was a poor choice of words because he compared Obama to Hitler.

"one of the biggest political mistakes ever. It’s like Hitler playing golf with [israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu"

In that analogy, Obama=Hitler and Boehner=Netanyahu. Williams Jr never even debated this in his apology.

But to be frank, I for one could care less what he says. He's a country music singer, not a religious figure or politician. What he says means next to nothing to me and doesn't affect how I watch Monday Night Football.. at all. In fact, if not for this, I completely forgot he existed.

Edited by deuceswild

Deuces, why argue? Can we just go play some golf and not worry about it lol.

Exactly. We can play golf dressed up as infamous war mongers!

No one can be Hitler though, seriously.

Dibs on Bush!

(see what I did there?)

Guest The Variable
Exactly. We can play golf dressed up as infamous war mongers!

No one can be Hitler though, seriously.

Dibs on Bush!

(see what I did there?)

Who will then go as Che?

Guest The Variable
As for conservatives getting it harder, I can't agree with that.

That I think is a tad inaccurate. I will agree that some liberal celebrities get called to task on their comments, but some are downright bullet-proof. To name a few:

Alec Baldwin

Susan Sarandon

Kevin Spacey

Sean Penn

Oliver Stone

Name some conservative celebrities (who often have to keep their political leanings hidden to save their careers) who have been able to say the same things with little-to-no repurcussion. I can think of none.

To be fair there are some folks who have been punished even by our left-leaning media:

Rosie Odonnell

That I think is a tad inaccurate. I will agree that some liberal celebrities get called to task on their comments, but some are downright bullet-proof. To name a few:

Alec Baldwin

Susan Sarandon

Kevin Spacey

Sean Penn

Oliver Stone

Name some conservative celebrities (who often have to keep their political leanings hidden to save their careers) who have been able to say the same things with little-to-no repurcussion. I can think of none.

To be fair there are some folks who have been punished even by our left-leaning media:

Rosie Odonnell

I'm not keen on anyone's quotes so I have no comment on it. But by shear numbers, there are plenty more Hollywood liberals than conservatives. This is without a doubt a factor.

Guest The Variable
I'm not keen on anyone's quotes so I have no comment on it. But by shear numbers, there are plenty more Hollywood liberals than conservatives. This is without a doubt a factor.

True, but Ill let Hollywood itsself prove my point:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tv-executives-admit-taped-interviews-193116

Some celebutards unashamedly admit that they run hollywood.