SWVA Coaches

OrangeStreak

Ward at Grundy may be a new guy, but he is pretty emotional and gets fired up...seems to be working because 2 weeks before two-a-days started I heard people saying Grundy might not win a game. 5-2 right now and talking playoffs in his first year on a team with only 5 SR's...of all the talk with the Tazewell Co. schools and who they hired, I think Grundy quietly got themselves a good one.

I think Matlock is a tremendous coach. He can get heated but he has that swagger that a lot of coaches lack. He can wink at a kid, pat them on the back, its his quiet confidence that truly pulls that want to out of a player. He always gets the best out of his players and it shows. Imagine what he could do a large school.

With some of the coaching SNAFU's around NCAAF and NFL this past weekend I was wondering:

Who are some of the most enthusiastic coaches in our area that can get a team fired up!!! Any stories??

Coach Rick Mullins of Clintwood is a great coach.. Look how well Clintwood responded after the Grayson loss and being down 20-to 0 to Union and coming back to win 30-20 ..

Mullins is a good one. My understanding is that he jumped his boys shit at halftime of the Union game(something he doesent do) and like you said look at how they have responded. He gets the most out of his players.

I question his Xs and Os but not his ability to motivate and lead, he is a fine coach.

Two basketball coaches I love to watch are Tracy Raban the girl's coach @ Graham and Lee Walker @ Tazewell. Both get so involved in the action. Raban is especially fun during timeouts. You can really tell when she is teaching, explaining, directing or chewing.

Two basketball coaches I love to watch are Tracy Raban the girl's coach @ Graham and Lee Walker @ Tazewell. Both get so involved in the action. Raban is especially fun during timeouts. You can really tell when she is teaching, explaining, directing or chewing.

Mostly chewing. That's why we loved her as our coach though. Easily one of the best coaches out there and really cared about what happened to us.

Tester over here at Hurley is a fiery coach. He is usually jumpin' around with the team, screaming, pumping everybody up.

I like Tester, he has brought that Hurley program a long way since he took over...you guys are lucky to have him. You went from barely having enough for a team to winning a bunch of games every year in a short period of time. He's also brought in people like Church that will pay off in the long term.

I like Tester, he has brought that Hurley program a long way since he took over...you guys are lucky to have him. You went from barely having enough for a team to winning a bunch of games every year in a short period of time. He's also brought in people like Church that will pay off in the long term.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Coach Church. He, Coach Tester, and Coach Davis really complement each other. Also I gotta show my old position coach some love Travis Quinley, I don't know if I would have made it without him. He's one hell of a mentor and motivator.

Tester over here at Hurley is a fiery coach. He is usually jumpin' around with the team, screaming, pumping everybody up.

Greg has a passion for the game.. BD and Anthony Church are good coaches also

and the upside is there all young Coaches who I feel will do big things in there career.

Jeremy Ward as Lance said is doing a good job with Grundy and like Greg he loves

the game they all do because I promise you they aint doing it for the money.

I've been impressed with Mark Palmer. He seems to be a good motivator.

He maybe that but wouldn't consider him a good coach. Your offense is simple and easy to defend. We were calling your plays from the stands that night - sweep left, sweep right. You defense is worse. Holston ran 2 plays the second half and put 64 points on you. Like I said before, Matlock is the best coach in Washington County and doesn't get any credit. We love the fact you guys hired him. Good luck Friday.