Gate City vs Union

gcdevils47

What do you guys think? Will the reborn Gate City team come out of the BSG with a W or will Union prevent it from happening? Should be an exciting game to watch!

Union played Richlands very tough at Union... They need a win real bad.. Coach Turner probably in the hot seat... This should be a dandy ...Too close to call for me!

Think Union in this one. Gate is down this year. I wish they would play my Falcons. Its not because Abingdon hasn't tried.

Lebanon defeated Abingdon 13-0 - Gate City defeats Lebanon 36 -0 -- Now lets add 13 +36 = Gate City 49 -Abingdon 0-- Abingdon doesn't want GC ..

The Union Bear's performances this season have been very consistent and I anticipate another solid performance against the GC Blue Devils. The Bears' 3-4 record is as much a reflection of the quality of schedule as it is a reflection of the quality of the team.

Coach Turner has done an outstanding job of meshing two teams into one. A very important factor to consider is that the young men on the Bears' roster had not played together as a unit until two months ago. We should not underestimate how valuable it is for kids to have played football together regularly in JV or peanut leagues before becoming varsity teammates. The Bears have become more than the sum of their parts as a result of Coach Turner's considered appoach.

With that said, I do give GC the edge in this game, due in large part to the play of the Devil defense - which might be the best that Union has faced. Union scored three touchdowns against North & Richands, and four tds against Clintwood. I don't see the Bears putting three or four on the board against GC. I do think it will be another game that may be up for grabs in the 4th quarter but I'm going to predict the final score to be GC 21 and Union 12.

The Union Bear's performances this season have been very consistent and I anticipate another solid performance against the GC Blue Devils. The Bears' 3-4 record is as much a reflection of the quality of schedule as it is a reflection of the quality of the team.

Coach Turner has done an outstanding job of meshing two teams into one. A very important factor to consider is that the young men on the Bears' roster had not played together as a unit until two months ago. We should not underestimate how valuable it is for kids to have played football together regularly in JV or peanut leagues before becoming varsity teammates. The Bears have become more than the sum of their parts as a result of Coach Turner's considered appoach.

With that said, I do give GC the edge in this game, due in large part to the play of the Devil defense - which might be the best that Union has faced. Union scored three touchdowns against North & Richands, and four tds against Clintwood. I don't see the Bears putting three or four on the board against GC. I do think it will be another game that may be up for grabs in the 4th quarter but I'm going to predict the final score to be GC 21 and Union 12.

12--why not 14---is there a problem with Union converting extra points...that was the difference in the Union -Central game wasn't it? 20-18 Central.

Guest bigdaddyd50

Abingdon would be a waste for GC to schedule. GC wants a tough schedule not a weak ass one. The only teams that have been in contact to throw us an offer is Greenville and Alcoa. I know GC's AD real well and we have talked about the football schedule and how hard it is for us to find anyone to play us in swva. Trust me Abingdon doesnt want none, even from a down GC team. :)

They won't be able to in the near future Falconman, Dad said we will be in their district.

How?? The only way is if you drop to single A ball. And you can't do that with your numbers.

Envy who? haha

The Union fans. They have witnessed 7 or 8 great games. They have all come down to the wire.

Think Union in this one. Gate is down this year. I wish they would play my Falcons. Its not because Abingdon hasn't tried.

Down? Losing to Richlands, Harlan CO and Sullivan South makes us down? Please we would still stomp you guys by 5 or 6 touchdowns.

I don't know. Both teams are down Gate City has picked it up a little but ill say GC by a TD.

How do you get Gate City as "down"??? Look at their losses? Richlands, Harlan County, and Sullivan South. Three powerhouse programs. No offence, but there aren't many teams in this area that could win two, let alone all three of those games. Gate City is far from down. Just wait untill the playoffs and see...

Abingdon would be a waste for GC to schedule. GC wants a tough schedule not a weak ass one. The only teams that have been in contact to throw us an offer is Greenville and Alcoa. I know GC's AD real well and we have talked about the football schedule and how hard it is for us to find anyone to play us in swva. Trust me Abingdon doesnt want none, even from a down GC team. :)

Exactly.

GC had a TOUGH time this year scheduling games. We were lucky to get a complete slate scheduled.

Now GC is a little "down" this year........at least compared to last year. But even in a "down" year, Abingdon wants no part of GC. No part.

Gate City lost 2 of the 3 "tough" games on their schedule last season and went on to win the state championship. Because of being 8-2 in the regular season no one (outside of themselves obviously) gave them any chance in the postseason. If you would look at the schedule from last year and compare it to this year you would notice that it is actually a tougher schedule this season.

Yes they lost a lot to graduation but they're still pretty competitive.

Im a Union fan (hints the name) but they way my bears have been palying and the way the blue devils is playing il take the devils to win by 14 or more to be honest with yall. Union has fell apart like a cheap made toy. Id love to see Union win but i think the devils are too strong to loose to the bears. Gatecity 28 Union 14

Gate City and Union both have good football teams. Union has home field advantage, but I think this game will come down to penalties, turnovers, and who gets lucky breaks. Good luck to both teams.

As indicated, I am predicting a Gate City win tonight but I totally dissagree with UNIONFAN's assessment of the Bears coming apart - and I'm surprised by his post.

I think the Bears played a better game against Central last week than they did against Lee or Lebanon earlier in the year. The Bears rolled up 350 yards of offense and did not commit a single turnover against Central - a solid Bear performance. The reason that Central beat Union, while Lee & Lebanon did not, is that the Warriors played a great game and took advantage of their opportunities, unlike the Generals or Pioneers.

An interesting side note about tough schedules - according to a friend, something will happen to Union this season that never happened to PV. For all ten games on their schedule, they never have nor never will kick the ball off to a team with a losing record at the start of the game. Because they played Lee & Lebanon early (teams that may have losing records for the year but did not have losing records at that time; 0-0 & 1-1 respectively) and are ending the season with Clintwood, North, Central, GC, JIB, and TW (already with 5 wins) this will happen. According to my friend, part of this has to do with PV's historical LPD district games at the end of the season against Pound, Wise, Burton, Appy, and in the older days, Ervington - when one or more of those teams would have losing records.