Big East Shakeup

vthokies4life

We've discussed it briefly in the comments section on the front page, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

First, WVU fans, are you happy with going to the Big 12?

Second, does this spell the end for the Big East as a conference? To answer that, you also have to consider that they are still a strong basketball conference. Does that make a difference in the Big East's standing in the eyes of the NCAA brass?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No dog in the fight, but the Big East's weakness has always been that it is a basketball first conference. In a world where football seems to be driving all of the decisions, that is ultimately to their detriment. Once the first round of defections happened they worked to shore themselves up by adding two new programs that are still basketball first schools. I can foresee the remaining member schools opting out of D-1 football and working to position themselves to be 1AA in football (ala Villanova) and D-1 in all other sports. The schools that want to keep D-1 football will have to find another conference.

As for WVU in the Big 12, I am so looking forward to that great rivalry game with Texas Tech.

I'll be satisfied with the move. We will struggle to achieve 9 and 10 win seasons every year, but playing better competition has potential to increase many attributes for the future. Not to mention the excitement of big name teams coming to Morgantown to play.

Hope the Mountaineers aren't getting "Syracused" by the Big 12 here. During the 2003 ACC expansion, 'Cuse was also a "done deal" -- even to the extent that a formal visit was made there by the Greensboro brass. The only thing that derailed it was the unlikely voting bloc of UVa, Duke, and Carolina. Have to admit that I know less than nothing about Big 12 politics, but that group hasn't been a paragon of rationality since its founding (Exhibit A: Baylor's membership).

WVU deserves a seat at a major conference table. While I think the notion of them in the Big 12 is positively insane (SEC membership makes much more sense), they're simply too good of an institution and a program to languish in any kind of "second tier" conference.

Hope the Mountaineers aren't getting "Syracused" by the Big 12 here. During the 2003 ACC expansion, 'Cuse was also a "done deal" -- even to the extent that a formal visit was made there by the Greensboro brass. The only thing that derailed it was the unlikely voting bloc of UVa, Duke, and Carolina. Have to admit that I know less than nothing about Big 12 politics, but that group hasn't been a paragon of rationality since its founding (Exhibit A: Baylor's membership).

WVU deserves a seat at a major conference table. While I think the notion of them in the Big 12 is positively insane (SEC membership makes much more sense), they're simply too good of an institution and a program to languish in any kind of "second tier" conference.

Ugh...

As I have said numerous times before, and have several different sources confirming this, this isn't how it played out. For approximately the 207th time, Syracuse was scheduled for admission into the ACC by a bloc including the 4 NC schools and UVA, a condition of which was the exclusion of Virginia Tech. UVA's BOV got a friendly little message from the General Assembly that more or less threatened to eliminate UVA's funding if UVA maintained course. Casteen and the BOV chickened out at the prospect of losing 7 percent of its funding, and switched horses midstream. It caught UNC and Duke with their pants down, and those two schools still harbor a grudge over it. So in short, UVA damned any chance it ever had at getting the NC bloc to work with us, and we were inwardly exposed as spineless turncoats. Lose-lose.

I know we've had this discussion before. You claim to have good sources, and I know I have mine, and I know that mine were right in the thick of the negotiations. Since we continue to fight this same battle over and over again, with neither of us willing to change positions on the issue, I propose that we leave it at this.

But yes, I hope that WVU isn't getting played.

That's just STUPID!!! I can see 16 team "super conferences". But 32?? And spread entirely across the nation??? That is insane!!

Since we continue to fight this same battle over and over again, with neither of us willing to change positions on the issue, I propose that we leave it at this.

I thought we had agreed to that previously, yet here we are again. And it's still not that big of a deal.

Admittedly, my use of the word "bloc" in the previous post was a poor choice of term. There wasn't any collusion between UVa and the two NC schools. Ultimately, the decision of Duke and Carolina to vote "no" on each individual candidate allowed Tech to come in the back door with UVa functioning as the swing vote.

And I'm still concerned that my Syracuse analogy might be germane to the current situation with the Big 12.

I'd be happy with Louisville going with us, but I mean why does it seem like politicians have to be involved in everything these days?

The New York Times reported Wednesday that U.S. Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, had lobbied Big 12 officials including David Boren, the president of the University of Oklahoma and a former senator, to include Louisville in expansion plans. The Times quoted a person with direct knowledge of the plans as saying: "I think it's 50-50 right now between West Virginia and Louisville

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7152071/west-virginia-mountaineers-move-big-12-hold-source-says

One of the organizers of the "movement" to occupy Heinz Field was on the sports line last night with Tony Caridi (I couldn't believe he had him on the show to promote it first off) and all I could think of was this was going to cause a real back yard brawl in the stands.

You very well could be correct.

Texas and Oklahoma are UVA, Duke, and UNC in this equation. Rumor has it that both UT and OU are supporting Louisville in this, and honestly, those are the only schools that matter in the Big XII. As we saw at the very beginning of this realignment mess, UT and OU ARE the Big XII and they are basically conference dictators; no other school has a leg to stand on.

Well, why not accept both you say? I also heard that UT and OU (mainly Texas) want 10 and only 10 in the Big XII. Why? Not completely sure. Could be more money, less competition, etc. etc.

Bottom line: What Texas (and Oklahoma) want; they will get. WVU better pray that they have thoughts of them in the future.

As a Marshall fan, I like the idea because it's an obvious advancement in overall competition. With the outright chance to earn a BCS bid, teams like Marshall, Boise St., Houston, or whoever wins the conference could hypothetically still play in a BCS game with a non-conference loss or two. I think that would be sort of cool.

Because this alliance reaches across the country, I think that it might be exciting and could possibly draw a little bit of revenue (which any revenue is good for many of these schools) and interest to this "playoff" for a BCS bid. It might be a small step in the right direction for an entire playoff system.

The reality is, the Big East should just become a basketball only conference (maybe other non interest drawing sports too). Football teams go to FCS, or your school moves to another conference all together. They will then still have a good basketball conference.

Rutgers and UConn to the ACC. If Mizzou leaves for the SEC, WVU and Louisville goes to the Big 12 and Houston gets and invite to move the number to 12. If Mizzou doesnt leave, then Lville can still go Big 12 or hope for a Big 10 invite, and hopefully then the SEC will be open to WVU coming in.

Rutgers and UConn to the ACC. If Mizzou leaves for the SEC, WVU and Louisville goes to the Big 12 and Houston gets and invite to move the number to 12. If Mizzou doesnt leave, then Lville can still go Big 12 or hope for a Big 10 invite, and hopefully then the SEC will be open to WVU coming in.

#1- Who says the ACC wants Rutgers and UConn???

#2- If the SEC wanted Mizzou, they'd already have them...no one wants Mizzou and they won't be leaving the Big 12 anytime soon.

#3- Loserville will never get a Big 10 invite.

#4- I have just as good of a chance of landing on the moon as WVU has of landing in the SEC.