Big East Shakeup

vthokies4life

The reality is, the Big East should just become a basketball only conference (maybe other non interest drawing sports too). Football teams go to FCS, or your school moves to another conference all together. They will then still have a good basketball conference.

Rutgers and UConn to the ACC. If Mizzou leaves for the SEC, WVU and Louisville goes to the Big 12 and Houston gets and invite to move the number to 12. If Mizzou doesnt leave, then Lville can still go Big 12 or hope for a Big 10 invite, and hopefully then the SEC will be open to WVU coming in.

Rutgers has as much a chance of coming to the ACC as (1) WVU to the SEC and (2) GMan setting foot on the moon combined. Besides, Rutgers's fanbase is despicable, to put it very lightly.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutgers has as much a chance of coming to the ACC as (1) WVU to the SEC and (2) GMan setting foot on the moon combined. Besides, Rutgers's fanbase is despicable, to put it very lightly.

For the most part I agree, but for some reason people tend to think Rutgers lands you the power of New York City as far as media markets goes.

#1- Who says the ACC wants Rutgers and UConn???

#2- If the SEC wanted Mizzou, they'd already have them...no one wants Mizzou and they won't be leaving the Big 12 anytime soon.

#3- Loserville will never get a Big 10 invite.

#4- I have just as good of a chance of landing on the moon as WVU has of landing in the SEC.

The SEC isnt going to stand pat at 13 teams. I dont think the SEC really likes any of the other viable options out there, but something has to give somewhere. I believe Mizzou ends up in the SEC by default. The SEC doesnt love it, and if it wasnt for the St. Louis market it would never be considered. If they had their preference it would probably be FSU, then Clemson as their choices, but that isnt going to happen because those schools will not get the necessary votes.

As for the ACC wanting Rutgers or UConn, I think they would really like to have UConn, but if they do take them they will need to drag another bystander in to make 16 which may be Rutgers. The ACC seems far to putoff by WVUs academics to want to consider them, but I think its a much better draw than Rutgers as a whole.

For the most part I agree, but for some reason people tend to think Rutgers lands you the power of New York City as far as media markets goes.

No one in New York City gives a rat's ass about Rutgers football. New York City is a "pro town" and the ACC has already addressed the "New York market" by adding Syracuse...

I don't know why they'd think that. Lots more Syracuse/UConn fans there than Rutgers. That's actually the reason that UConn to the ACC makes decent sense. Good baseball, great basketball, decent academics, and put a stranglehold on the NY/New England markets.

As for the ACC wanting Rutgers or UConn, I think they would really like to have UConn, but if they do take them they will need to drag another bystander in to make 16 which may be Rutgers. The ACC seems far to putoff by WVUs academics to want to consider them, but I think its a much better draw than Rutgers as a whole.

If there's a 16th team, it'd be Navy.

IMHO UCONN is a non-starter for the ACC strictly based on the bad press they have had in recent year's for graduation rates (25%) and questionable recruiting. Yeah, I know you are thinking what about Miami. Academically, Miami is a far superior school, and had yet to be tainted by the recent scandal when they came into the ACC.

No one in New York City gives a rat's ass about Rutgers football. New York City is a "pro town" and the ACC has already addressed the "New York market" by adding Syracuse...

I don't know why they'd think that. Lots more Syracuse/UConn fans there than Rutgers. That's actually the reason that UConn to the ACC makes decent sense. Good baseball, great basketball, decent academics, and put a stranglehold on the NY/New England markets.

I can report that I have seen a (singular) person wearing Rutgers paraphernalia in the two years I've been up here. That's either indicative of a.) a fan base who hates wearing their team colors or b.) a lack of influence here by Rutgers fans.

I think choice B is more likely.

It's a great move. Of course SEC was number 1 on the wish list but unlikely. The ACC wasn't much of an improvement, and the Big XII is a great move. Geographically, it's not ideal. Competition will be a plus. I'm excited to see the change take place. I've always been a BE fan, but when all are jumping ship, you have to find a home or be left out in a messy situation.

It's a great move. Of course SEC was number 1 on the wish list but unlikely. The ACC wasn't much of an improvement...

LOL! To say that the ACC "wasn't much of an improvement" is one of the most ridiculous claims you've ever posted on here, and that is saying a lot. You do realize that the Big East has ranked at or below several of the mid-majors the past few seasons and before ANY team jumped ship in addition to the lengthy, serious discussions about them losing AQ status when the next reclassification came about, don't you?

It is redundant, but yes, the Big East took a major hit when VT, BC and Miami bolted in 2003 and it never recovered. Cincinnati and Louisville couldn't match what left and Rutgers and UConn football didn't exactly fill the void either. No one is claiming that the ACC is a world-beater conference, but to say that what is arguably the most stable conference in the country, that has ranked football teams, and has decent national respect isn't an "improvement" is laughable. The Big East has always been a basketball conference that tried its hand in football; and it is going down quick, with or without WVU.

...and the Big XII is a great move. Geographically, it's not ideal. Competition will be a plus. I'm excited to see the change take place.

The Big XII is only a great move when you have nowhere else to go. It's gonna be fun traveling almost 900 miles to see your closest conference game (Aimes, IA). Something tells me that WVU has an excellent shot at ending up like Marshall, but on a bit of a larger scale. Rewind to 2005 when Marshall joined the C-USA. They had quality wins over BCS schools, dominated their conference, tons of talent, and were ready for the "big time". All that was great until they joined a TX-based conference, with much more competition than the MAC (read: Big East in WVU's case) and had no true conference rival. What is approaching 10 years later, they still haven't landed completely on their feet. Be careful what you ask for with "ideal competition," you just might get it.

I do, however, believe that the move is going to benefit the state of WV as a whole, but I believe that a good portion of your fan base is out the window along with the 8-9-10 win seasons.

Edited by hokie07

Ac2h_NWCIAARvlY.jpg

The Boomerang Conference!

LOL!!! EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that map!!!

I prefer The 9-Iron Conference!

(turn your head to the left and look at it from that angle.)

Closest opponent for WVU is Iowa State: 871 miles, give or take a few

If the Big East did not dismantle and TCU would have stayed, their closest opponent Louisville would be 868 miles, give or take a few....

So boomerrang or not, it's not about the miles, it's about what's best for the future. I'm not saying the Big 12 was a great decision, but it's better than going down with a sinking ship..