Vt @ gt

dcecilgolf

I see your argument, I really do, but I think you have to take this game and many of Logan's much like we are taking Tebow's in the other thread. LT will never put up video game passing numbers like Case Keenum or Peyton Manning or any other passer. The are completely different styles of QB. He is a gamer and statistics don't always show just effective a player is.

Thomas was EXCELLENT at making things happen last night, no matter what his stat line was. Was it flawess? No. But he completed enough passes to win and for a couple touchdowns, ran effectively, and didn't turn the ball over. Those things together will win you a football game 8 times out of 10.

If playing "well" is putting up 37 points on the road against a ranked opponent with a division title on the line (no matter how good or bad the defense is), then I'll take it every time. If VT scores 35+ points every game then they won't lose a lot of games.

I know you'll argue with me on this, so I guess I'll go ahead and offer the agree to disagree plea, Mr. Attorney. ;)

LOL, agree to disagree we will. I'll just finish by saying that you're right, Thomas is winning, and that's the bottom line. 9-1 is what matters most, and if you can just keep the momentum up, you've got a good chance at an 11-1 regular season. However, whenever you meet a team that has proven it can stop a good rushing offense (hint: you are in 2 weeks), it's going to have to be Thomas that take the lead. Can he? We'll see. Just like with Tebow, the statistics need to be better. Just like with Tebow, it might not matter.

That being said, any decent ACC team would've scored 37 on GT last night. Completely uninspired defense.

Edited by UVAObserver

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That being said, any decent ACC team would've scored 37 on GT last night. Completely uninspired defense.

Uninspired...because they couldn't stop the VT QB...

When a team runs a QB sneak on you, and you know its coming, and you can't stop it...you tend to become "uninspired"...

VT beat GT at their own game last night...out-rushed them 267-243, beat them on 3rd down conversion 10/16 to 5/13, beat them on 4th down conversion 2/2 to 0/2, and beat them in time of possession 34:13-25:47.

When GT wins, they own those stats...

Uninspired...because they couldn't stop the VT QB...

When a team runs a QB sneak on you, and you know its coming, and you can't stop it...you tend to become "uninspired"...

VT beat GT at their own game last night...out-rushed them 267-243, beat them on 3rd down conversion 10/16 to 5/13, beat them on 4th down conversion 2/2 to 0/2, and beat them in time of possession 34:13-25:47.

When GT wins, they own those stats...

And how is that inconsistent with anything I said? When a QB is sneaking for 5-8 yards a pop, that's pathetic play by the defense moreso than anything Thomas did. Again, 7/13. And 4 of those 7 passes weren't anything special Thomas did: the WRs were so wide-open that it was sickening.

Those stats are indicative of strong LINE play rather than good QB play.

And how is that inconsistent with anything I said? When a QB is sneaking for 5-8 yards a pop, that's pathetic play by the defense moreso than anything Thomas did. Again, 7/13. And 4 of those 7 passes weren't anything special Thomas did: the WRs were so wide-open that it was sickening.

Those stats are indicative of strong LINE play rather than good QB play.

Yes, but I will say again: at least 3 of his 6 incompletions were due to players dropping very catchable passes.

Yes, but I will say again: at least 3 of his 6 incompletions were due to players dropping very catchable passes.

I only saw 1 drop that "should have" been a catch. Hopefully you're not talking about the pass to Wilson that was a full yard behind him, and the throw to Coale that was almost 2 yards short.

I only saw 1 drop that "should have" been a catch. Hopefully you're not talking about the pass to Wilson that was a full yard behind him, and the throw to Coale that was almost 2 yards short.

I think the Wilson pass should have been caught. The other was the pass to Drager. He had it in his hand and ended up bobbling it as he went to the ground, and dropped it.

Which were you referring to?

Bud Foster has had two weeks to get ready for this stupid offense (I honestly hate watching teams running this O). .

The "Flexbone" offense (Georgia Tech and Navy run this offense) is a thing of beauty to a football purist. It is an acquired taste I guess. This is football. It is a spin off of the Wishbone with the ability to run some Wing-T plays and still get 4 vertical routes down the field. I could see how some would get bored with watching it. They often get stuffed and the defense gets complacent and/or misses a crucial assignment and then they break off a long run. I love watching Georgia Tech, just because of this offense. I think Paul Johnson is one of the best football coaches in the country. Props to the Hokies and Bud Foster for their gameplan last night.

7/13, truly dominating performance. That's equivalent with Mike Rocco's 2nd-worst performance of the season...

He played well. Not great, well. Many of those passes a HS QB could've made. His rushing was dominant, but it should've been when GT's tacklers stupidly went high time after time after time.

Last night was more GT's defense crapping the bed than Thomas turning into the second coming of Peyton Manning.

If Tech wins it is because the other team's defense played poor. If we lose its because we choke everytime. If our QB plays well, anyone could do it? If a High School QB could play that well, i hope VT recruits the guy! I was not a big fan of Logan Thomas at the start of the year, but the throws he made last night, come on. The TD pass to Boykin over the top, that was not an easy throw, the throw to Boykin on the sideline, that was not an easy throw, and the TD to Coale, it was a perfectly thrown ball. And yes he had several drops. Give credit where credit is due. And the QB sneaks, GT knew what was coming and could not stop it. Great win Hokies!

Logan Thomas has got a chance to be really really good! Now if we can take care of UNC & UVA we will get another shot at Clemson.

Agreed. I dont think he is as fast as Cam Newton, but thats who I thought of watching him play. He's a beast.

I think the Wilson pass should have been caught. The other was the pass to Drager. He had it in his hand and ended up bobbling it as he went to the ground, and dropped it.

Which were you referring to?

The Wilson pass would've been a sensational catch were it made. As I say, a full yard behind him. The second one I was referring 2 was a route where Thomas and the WR (I think Coale) got their signals crossed, and Thomas fired it about 2 yards behind him.

I remember the Drager catch, and that's a difficult catch. Can't fault Thomas for it too badly, but it wasn't easy.

If Tech wins it is because the other team's defense played poor. If we lose its because we choke everytime. If our QB plays well, anyone could do it? If a High School QB could play that well, i hope VT recruits the guy! I was not a big fan of Logan Thomas at the start of the year, but the throws he made last night, come on. The TD pass to Boykin over the top, that was not an easy throw, the throw to Boykin on the sideline, that was not an easy throw, and the TD to Coale, it was a perfectly thrown ball. And yes he had several drops. Give credit where credit is due. And the QB sneaks, GT knew what was coming and could not stop it. Great win Hokies!

Except it's the exact opposite from a Hokie fan's mouth. If VT wins, it's because Logan Thomas "played like a 4-year starter Heisman candidate" (an actual quote from a previous game). If VT loses, BURN STINESPRING AT THE STAKE. No in-between for you guys. Ever.

No, he did not have "several drops". He had 2, one of which was on a terribly-thrown ball that Wilson very nearly saved. The other was on the Drager bobble, which wasn't easy in the first place. Thomas's inadequacies are very well shielded by one of the 5-best RBs in the nation and a seasoned offensive line.

What won this game last night was VT's O-Line whipping GT's front-7 like a dominatrix, especially in the 2nd half. I'm gushing over your offensive line, but you Hokies are too focused on your skill players to see the forest for the trees.

Boykin and Drager both dropped balls they'd normally catch.

The "Flexbone" offense (Georgia Tech and Navy run this offense) is a thing of beauty to a football purist. It is an acquired taste I guess. This is football. It is a spin off of the Wishbone with the ability to run some Wing-T plays and still get 4 vertical routes down the field. I could see how some would get bored with watching it. They often get stuffed and the defense gets complacent and/or misses a crucial assignment and then they break off a long run. I love watching Georgia Tech, just because of this offense. I think Paul Johnson is one of the best football coaches in the country. Props to the Hokies and Bud Foster for their gameplan last night.

I agree! I love watching a team run the triple option...was a HUGE Oklahoma fan growing up because of the way they ran the wishbone under Switzer. A true thing of beauty, and damn near unstoppable, when run properly.

As for Paul Johnson...he is the biggest "johnson" in all of college football...

Great game.

VT defense played great. Collins and Wilson made some great tackles, especially when GT was running away from Hopkins and Gale all night.

Looking forward to going to Charlotte and redeeming the Clemson lose.

Let's hope they don't blow it next week, especially because I'm making the trip up for the game.

The pass to Coale was a laser for the distance it covered. But his best pass of the night was the one to DJ Coles in the 3rd Q after Coles had commited the false start to move VT back to 3rd and 11...too bad Wilson fumbled on the next play...

Probably the only one that was purely the WRs fault. 1 of 6.

For Christ's sake, Thomas still averaged almost 30 yards/completion (7 for 209)...what the hell else do want him to do??? Granted, he's no Mike Rocco, but he's doing a pretty good job for a first year starter...

And to add, Thomas did make the most of his 7 completions...

33 yd. completion to Boykin on 3rd and 13...first down

18 yd. completion to DJ Coles on 3rd and 7...first down

9 yd. completion to Boykin on 3rd and goal...TD

63 yd. completion to Coale...TD

34 yd. completion to Coale on 3rd and 12...first down

38 yd. completion to DJ Coles on 3rd and 11...first down

14 yd. completion to Drager on 3rd and 7...TD

Note: All but his TD to Coale were on 3rd and passing situations...

Note2: Thomas tied the VT QB rushing TD record for a season with 8 TDs...set in 1999 by Michael Vick.

No, he did not have "several drops". He had 2, one of which was on a terribly-thrown ball that Wilson very nearly saved. The other was on the Drager bobble, which wasn't easy in the first place.

You are forgetting the quick slant to Boykin that hit him RIGHT in the hands.

What won this game last night was VT's O-Line whipping GT's front-7 like a dominatrix, especially in the 2nd half. I'm gushing over your offensive line, but you Hokies are too focused on your skill players to see the forest for the trees.

I agree. Our O-Line played amazingly well last night. It seems like it has been FOREVER since we have had a line that can block like that. I guess we can just credit GT's terrible defense, though. You are so adamantly against LT that you can not admit that he played a great game last night. I admit he hasn't been spectacular all season, but when he has it going on...he looks amazing.

And to add, Thomas did make the most of his 7 completions...

33 yd. completion to Boykin on 3rd and 13...first down

18 yd. completion to DJ Coles on 3rd and 7...first down

9 yd. completion to Boykin on 3rd and goal...TD

63 yd. completion to Coale...TD

34 yd. completion to Coale on 3rd and 12...first down

38 yd. completion to DJ Coles on 3rd and 11...first down

14 yd. completion to Drager on 3rd and 7...TD

Note: All but his TD to Coale were on 3rd and passing situations...

Note2: Thomas tied the VT QB rushing TD record for a season with 8 TDs...set in 1999 by Michael Vick.

^^^This^^^ +100