Joe Pa

battleftbl

Joe Paterno has announced his resignation effective at season's end.

It's sad that his great career will end like this. IMO, yes, he should have made another call, but Sandusky wasnt even a member of his staff at the time it was reported to him.

I'm sure he thought that administration would take care of it correctly and he moved on.

Years from now....when I think of Joe Paterno, this isnt how I'll remember his career. I'll simply remember him as one of the greatest coaches of all time...and someone who did things the right way.

As for the one's who turned a blind eye....they deserve everything they get, and probably more.

Edited by battleftbl

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just edited it a little. I realized I may have been a little more out spoken than I should have been on a topic that people rightfully have such strong opinions about.

Edited by battleftbl

Guest The Variable

It's sad that his great career will end like this. IMO, yes, he should have made another call, but Sandusky wasnt even a member of his staff at the time it was reported to him.

I'm sure he thought that administration would take care of it correctly and he moved on.

Years from now....when I think of Joe Paterno, this isnt how I'll remember his career. I'll simply remember him as one of the greatest coaches of all time...and someone who did things the right way.

As for the one's who turned a blind eye....they deserve everything they get, and probably more.

You do realize that he is one of those people, right? He deserves to be fired yesterday. There are no crimes worse than those committed on children. This is how I will always remember JoPa and when I have kids I will show them a man with an impeccible career who lost it all because he allowed his values to slip in one momumental way. It doesnt matter that Sandusky was an employee or not. Its JoPas team, his lockerroom, his school. I am not saying "his" as it was something that he belonged to. Im saying "his" because it belonged to him. Maybe my moral compass is made better than some men, but I know there are plenty of others better than me, but I am confident that if someone did something like within my reign, he would have been smashed like a bug. I certainly wouldnt have just sent him away for him to peddle his evil someplace else.

Sorry, it was WRONG...and I mean WRONG in the most epic way. The assistant was WRONG for not beating the brakes off the pedophile and getting the kid out of there. WRONG for calling his dad and not the cops. WRONG for not following up with it and WRONG for living with himself after walking away from a child in that position.

Paterno was WRONG for not taking matters to the police and WRONG for not following up after he went to the WRONG people. WRONG for letting Sandusky walk away. WRONG for not manning up as soon as this story broke and admitting his own culpability and WRONG for that absolutely disgusting (and WRONG) display of offense on his front lawn last night.

Which is why I edited my original post..... everyone should rightfully have strong feelings towards the topic.......... I know how busy his schedule is, he barely ever sees his family, let alone his assistants. Even at the high school level, I see my kids maybe 5-6 hours total from Monday-Friday. This profession, especially at that level is a 7:00am-8:00pm job. And then you take it home with you in the form of film and things like that. At that level, throw in the all of the hours on the road recruiting. The only times he's with his coaches are games, practice and staff meetings. He has 1000 people pulling him in 1000 different directions during the day. It wasnt a football related issue...he's not the president of the university and he would have probably been fired for going over their heads before taking it up the chain of command. I'm sure he had trust in his supervisors, especially when one is over campus police, to take the correct steps in handling this, and he moved on. It wasnt a football related accident because it was a former employee. He notified higher ups and moved on. He's had an entire career of doing things the right way and being a wonderful role model for everyone in this sport and out of it. I hardly think he would turn a blind eye to the whole thing. I do agree that he should have followed up on it though, but I also know he barely has time to eat lunch during the day.

I do agree that the others main goal was to cover this thing up.....The entire thing is a shame, and that we'll all agree on.

So would I....but I do see his thought process.

I believe he thought his supervisors would take care of it. I believe he had faith in those people to think they'd handle the situation correctly.

He has always handled himself in a first class way, and went out of his way to donate money to benefit others. He has never given any reason for us to doubt him. If evidence shows that he knew more.....then my opinion of Joe Paterno would obviously change.

Edited by battleftbl

Guest The Variable
So would I....but I do see his thought process.

I believe he thought his supervisors would take care of it. I believe he had faith in those people to think they'd handle the situation correctly.

He has always handled himself in a first class way, and went out of his way to donate money to benefit others. He has never given any reason for us to doubt him. If evidence shows that he knew more.....then my opinion of Joe Paterno would obviously change.

There is nobody save for maybe the trustees that have more power at that school than Paterno. I say that in present tense because even on top of all this he is above the fold. Hes so much a part of that school, I was convinced that when he retired Penn State would cease to be the Nittany Lions and forever be known as the Penn State JoPas. Instead of that ratty nasty and somewhat creepy sock puppet mascot suit they have now they would get an old man and put black shoes and oversized sunglasses on him.

Thats how much Paterno was Penn State. If he had done anything approaching due dilligence as a decent human being let alone being a man about the whole thing, then he wouldnt be in this position. My dad told me you can have a 1000 atta boys but its always that 1 aww sh** that kills you. Paterno did the right thing in college sports, but it seems that when the easiest decision came his way, he didnt just err, he ignored it. Then when it all broke, he acts aloof and faultless. That fact alone at the end puts the final nail in the coffin of his legacy.

You do realize that he is one of those people, right? He deserves to be fired yesterday. There are no crimes worse than those committed on children. This is how I will always remember JoPa and when I have kids I will show them a man with an impeccible career who lost it all because he allowed his values to slip in one momumental way. It doesnt matter that Sandusky was an employee or not. Its JoPas team, his lockerroom, his school. I am not saying "his" as it was something that he belonged to. Im saying "his" because it belonged to him. Maybe my moral compass is made better than some men, but I know there are plenty of others better than me, but I am confident that if someone did something like within my reign, he would have been smashed like a bug. I certainly wouldnt have just sent him away for him to peddle his evil someplace else.

Sorry, it was WRONG...and I mean WRONG in the most epic way. The assistant was WRONG for not beating the brakes off the pedophile and getting the kid out of there. WRONG for calling his dad and not the cops. WRONG for not following up with it and WRONG for living with himself after walking away from a child in that position.

Paterno was WRONG for not taking matters to the police and WRONG for not following up after he went to the WRONG people. WRONG for letting Sandusky walk away. WRONG for not manning up as soon as this story broke and admitting his own culpability and WRONG for that absolutely disgusting (and WRONG) display of offense on his front lawn last night.

Winner. Post of the thread.

/thread

There were allegations about Sandusky as early as 1998, a year before he "retired" (i.e. forced out), he was screwing a 10 year old boy in the shower of the Penn State football facility and was caught by an assistant in 2002, which is when Paterno was first notified. And all they did was tell him not to bring any more children on campus any more, but otherwise had full access to all athletic facilities, even up until last week. And Joe Pa should have done more? Please, who is this old fool trying to kid. I liked Joe Pa until yesterday. Everything is all about his ego, football program, and image. How many little boys got raped since 2002 because he was protecting his friend. He needs to go yesterday, and he is lucky they don't prosecute him.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Until proven otherwise...Paterno is the one that didnt turn a blind eye.

Should he have taken a more proactive approach? Yes, no doubt about it.

But as good of a person as he's been over the years.... I firmly believe that he just assumed it would be handled correctly and reported to police by his supervisors. Lets remember...it's only been a few short years since the powers that be, attempted to get Paterno to resign/retire. Not so sure if he's their favorite person or not.

Like I said...we'll just have to agree to disagree. As for everyone else.....guilty

No charges in 1998...If the state would have proceeded with charges and a trial, then Paterno would have fired up. As for what took place in the showers in 2002, he wasnt even an employee of PSU anymore. The Administration still allowed him access to campus facilities though.....not Paterno.

Lets be honest.....alot of people dropped the ball here. Paterno even dropped the ball. I know that....but he didnt knowingly turn a blind eye. His fault was not being proactive in following up on his original call.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Until proven otherwise...Paterno is the one that didnt turn a blind eye.

Should he have taken a more proactive approach? Yes, no doubt about it.

But as good of a person as he's been over the years.... I firmly believe that he just assumed it would be handled correctly and reported to police by his supervisors. Lets remember...it's only been a few short years since the powers that be, attempted to get Paterno to resign/retire. Not so sure if he's their favorite person or not.

Like I said...we'll just have to agree to disagree. As for everyone else.....guilty

So let me get this right, they guy who told paterno is guilty, the guy paterno told (AD) is guilty, and the President of the University is guilty, but in all this Paterno is innocent? That might be the dumbest statement EVER. This was a guy Paterno personally recruited, who played for Paterno, who coached for Paterno, who was his defensive coordinator for 20 years. You don't think they are close? They swept this under the rug because exactly what is happening today didn't happen 10 years ago. He retired to run his foundation.......do you know who is on the board of directors of the foundation? You got it Joe Pa. Do I think Joe Pa is involved with it, no. Do I think he covered it up to cover his butt? You betcha....

Edited by CPF

I'll end that there. This could go back and forth but what good would it do?

Like I said, if evidence comes out that Paterno knew more, than I'd lose all respect for him.

One things for sure....they've got a mess on their hands, and not matter how its handled from here on out....it'll never take back what those kids had to go through. They're the important ones in all of this, and it seems that its getting overlooked.

As for what took place in the showers in 2002, he wasnt even an employee of PSU anymore. The Administration still allowed him access to campus facilities though.....not Paterno.

Maybe, but Paterno knew he was raping little kids in his football facility, and allowed him in there for another decade. This guy kicked the AD and university president out of his home when they asked for his resignation in 2004, and they did nothing to him. So who has the power at Penn State? Quit making excuses for this guy, he is just as guilty as the others.

The Fact Of The Matter Is Paterno Did As Little As He Possibly Could To Keep Himself Out Of Jail Without Damaging The Penn State Name At The Same Time. Thats What It Comes Down To The Fact That No One Gave A Care About The Kids Everyone Involved Including Paterno Tried To Cover It Up And Just Did As Little As Possible Without Taking The Kids Into Account And For That They Should All Rot Under A Jail Someplace I Know That's Not Going To Happen But For Them To Put The Reputation Of A University Ahead Of Proctecting Kids From A Monster Just Makes Me Sick.

Which is why I edited my original post..... everyone should rightfully have strong feelings towards the topic.......... I know how busy his schedule is, he barely ever sees his family, let alone his assistants. Even at the high school level, I see my kids maybe 5-6 hours total from Monday-Friday. This profession, especially at that level is a 7:00am-8:00pm job. And then you take it home with you in the form of film and things like that. At that level, throw in the all of the hours on the road recruiting. The only times he's with his coaches are games, practice and staff meetings. He has 1000 people pulling him in 1000 different directions during the day. It wasnt a football related issue...he's not the president of the university and he would have probably been fired for going over their heads before taking it up the chain of command. I'm sure he had trust in his supervisors, especially when one is over campus police, to take the correct steps in handling this, and he moved on. It wasnt a football related accident because it was a former employee. He notified higher ups and moved on. He's had an entire career of doing things the right way and being a wonderful role model for everyone in this sport and out of it. I hardly think he would turn a blind eye to the whole thing. I do agree that he should have followed up on it though, but I also know he barely has time to eat lunch during the day.

I do agree that the others main goal was to cover this thing up.....The entire thing is a shame, and that we'll all agree on.

Some things take priority over his schedule, which I'm absolutely sure was extremely busy. This was one of them. Paterno even admitted as much today.

I still take the standpoint of if the same thing happened in your work enviroment (or something similar) and you reported it to your supervisor or boss and after a short bit of time nothing happened, would you not go above or around them and report it to someone that will do something?

In a murder case just because you didn't kill them if you knew about it you are still an accessory to murder after all.

I still take the standpoint of if the same thing happened in your work enviroment (or something similar) and you reported it to your supervisor or boss and after a short bit of time nothing happened, would you not go above or around them and report it to someone that will do something?

In a murder case just because you didn't kill them if you knew about it you are still an accessory to murder after all.

exactly the guy that seen it going on and left without doing anything is just as guilty in my opinion.

Guest The Variable

If I saw someone getting raped at work and I wasnt man enough to stop it, I wouldnt go to my supervisor, Id call the cops. Its against the LAW. This isnt some honor code violation.

Everything we're saying is pretty much speculation on what happenend...and just how much JoePa knew... Like I said...if it comes out that he knew more, My entire opinion of him will change....it'll be very dissapointing. I do however think I'll wait until every bit of information is out there, and every testimony is heard, before throwing him under the bus.

Maybe I'm a little to loyal here. I know if I'm in his place, that I'd stay on top of it. I know he didnt follow up on it as he should have..... but covering it up on purpose? I'll hold off on that judgement.

Of course, IMHO, the University as a whole should have been on top of things even after the allegations in 1998. Like I said earlier, Everyone involved with this dropped the ball at some point or another.