lack of pride? motivation? SWVA

cwood78

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well... everyone got hammered except, union.... figured (i know lower seed)... but seems like a lack of team spirit or whatever.....everyone says the state line ends at roanoke...............but to me SWVA FOOTBALL, starts this side of abingdon..................may not have always won, but geez......aleast keep it close................

well... everyone got hammered except, union.... figured (i know lower seed)... but seems like a lack of team spirit or whatever.....everyone says the state line ends at roanoke...............but to me SWVA FOOTBALL, starts this side of abingdon..................may not have always won, but geez......aleast keep it close................

well...with Grundy...they just ran in to a heavy dose of speed...one of the linemen ran down our fastest guy from about 7 yards away...if that tells you anything? 2 fumbles inside the 20 and 2 other trips inside the 10 ended on 4th down shots...could have been closer than it was had Grundy played a perfect game...but you give up 535 yards rushing in a game, you are not going to come out on top very often. They did the best they could with what they had, just lost to a better team.

Hurley and Honaker was a good game, both local so one had to go home.

Abingdon...well, what do you expect?

Gate City...i expected them to win, I think they fully expected to win...not sure what went on there but sounds like they just had an off game...it happens, sometimes at the worst possible time.

The facts are this, when you have watered down playoffs you're going to have nasty games like the Grundy, Virginia High, Abingdon, etc. In the case of the Grundy and Virginia High games, I really have no idea why these games were played on Friday night. Not saying that playing on Saturday would have helped but it couldn't have hurt.

And to be quite honest, 3 of the better games in the playoffs so far have came from teams from playing against each other. The RR/Chillhowie, Castlewood/Cove and Honaker/Hurley games all were games to show anyone that SWVA football is just fine.

guess what GRINDS MY GEARS....back in the day..........i'm swva proud....... we and don't matter who "WE" are could kick anybodys butt PAST roanoke!!!!

yeah back in the day WE had 300+ kids graduate every year...now you are lucky to have that many in a 4 year span...these smaller schools over on the other side still have a lot of good talent pools to pull from...instead of large city and county schools you have a lot of smaller schools in a general area...makes it hard to compete even though the actual school #'s are similar or atleast within the same div. class.

yeah back in the day WE had 300+ kids graduate every year...now you are lucky to have that many in a 4 year span...these smaller schools over on the other side still have a lot of good talent pools to pull from...instead of large city and county schools you have a lot of smaller schools in a general area...makes it hard to compete even though the actual school #'s are similar or atleast within the same div. class.

This^^^^

It is really hard for some people to realize the decline in enrollements of all the area schools. Richlands and Grundy both had near AAA numbers in the late 80's and up into the 90's. Garden had more students in the early 90's than Richlands does now. Tazewell also had up in the 800-900 student range.

20 years ago you had A schools with more numbers than todays area AA schools.

I think the Hogo would argue that this side of Wytheville may be where the line is drawn..

Gate City...i expected them to win, I think they fully expected to win...not sure what went on there but sounds like they just had an off game...it happens, sometimes at the worst possible time.

Losing Bird to a torn ACL against Clintwood really hurt GC. If he'd played they're probably still playing.

The problem with the area is that we're just not that good. The talent level is down so far from the 90's that it's laughable. It's not a shot at the kids playing today either, they're just not as good. Clintwood owned the 70's in A ball. GC, Appy, and Burton all won titles in the 70's. JJ Kelly won 1 in the 80's. In the late 80's and throughout the 90's you could pencil Appy and PV into the state title game every year and more likely than not they were going to win. The question is this, does anyone really believe that many if any of the kids today could get playing time on a 70's CW team, a late 80's or anytime in the 90's PV team, or a 90's Appy team? The answer is no or the number is so small that it's not worth mentioning. That doesn't mean that starting next year someone can't start taking a step back in the right direction but right now, we're just coming up short.

The facts are this, when you have watered down playoffs you're going to have nasty games like the Grundy, Virginia High, Abingdon, etc. In the case of the Grundy and Virginia High games, I really have no idea why these games were played on Friday night. Not saying that playing on Saturday would have helped but it couldn't have hurt.

And to be quite honest, 3 of the better games in the playoffs so far have came from teams from playing against each other. The RR/Chillhowie, Castlewood/Cove and Honaker/Hurley games all were games to show anyone that SWVA football is just fine.

Well said! No doubt that SW Virginia will be represented well in the state championship games! That is actually where it all counts to the rest of the state anyway. Have no doubt that we have been and will continue to be represented well.

Overall was football is SWVA really that great? Im not trying to take a shot at the region or anything. There were some dominant programs like PV and Appy but they were it, they didnt really even have that much competition. Sure JJ Kelly had a good year in the 80s, JI Burton had one in the 70s and Coeburn had some solid teams in the 90s(they beat PV once) but nothing consistant. It wasnt like there were 6-7 dominating teams fighting each other just to get out of the region.

Other good programs were/are GW, Lebanon, Giles and GC. But even adding all four of those together you dont have that many state titles.

Outside of 6 or so programs thing werent that great.

Add together that the teams in general really werent that great and the fact that the schools were in general 2x the size they are now and theres your answer to what is wrong with SWVA.

Trends in football have changed also. Instead of taking a 5'7" 155lb back, putting him at Tailback and slamming him between the tackles 30 times a game while letting 2 others just like him ride the bench because hes a SR and they are underclassmen now coaches are putting all 3 of them on the field and giving them the ball in space. SWVA has never produced that many athletes, good/great football players yes but not pure athletes. jmo

yeah...back 20+ years ago it was that great...you had local teams in the run for state every year in a time when not everyone and their brother made the playoffs. Grundy even had it's shots here and there but fell short. Graham won, Tazewell won, Richlands won, Clintwood and Gate City were always a powerhouse, Giles was always hard to beat, Marion and Lebanon put good teams on the field every year...even John Battle was tuff...but, that was then...this is now...things are not the same, mostly because the population has shrunk with the local economy in most areas...for about 30+ years when the coal and industrial boom that went with it on this side of the state was going, we had some solid teams around here. Now, not so much...but, we still have a few that are usually still good year in and year out....and every so often one of the others puts a good team on the field. The biggest challenge here now is population...we just dont have enough kids playing ball at the lower levels to pull from like we had years ago....that's what it boils down to.

Overall was football is SWVA really that great? Im not trying to take a shot at the region or anything. There were some dominant programs like PV and Appy but they were it, they didnt really even have that much competition. Sure JJ Kelly had a good year in the 80s, JI Burton had one in the 70s and Coeburn had some solid teams in the 90s(they beat PV once) but nothing consistant. It wasnt like there were 6-7 dominating teams fighting each other just to get out of the region.

Other good programs were/are GW, Lebanon, Giles and GC. But even adding all four of those together you dont have that many state titles.

Outside of 6 or so programs thing werent that great.

Add together that the teams in general really werent that great and the fact that the schools were in general 2x the size they are now and theres your answer to what is wrong with SWVA.

Trends in football have changed also. Instead of taking a 5'7" 155lb back, putting him at Tailback and slamming him between the tackles 30 times a game while letting 2 others just like him ride the bench because hes a SR and they are underclassmen now coaches are putting all 3 of them on the field and giving them the ball in space. SWVA has never produced that many athletes, good/great football players yes but not pure athletes. jmo

Yes, it was that great. It doesn't matter that there weren't 6-7 teams that were great. In 98 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the year) PV, Appy, and GC all won state titles. PV was undefeated, Appy had 1 loss to PV and GC had 2 losses to the aforementioned. When you have three teams within 40 miles of each other in a densely populated area to dominate half of the football divisions in the state and the only teams to challenge them are each other, I think that's pretty good. When you have teams like Appy going into the state game and beating the competion by about 60-70 points, yeah, that's pretty great. It was also about 94 or 95 that PV was ranked nationally in the top 10. In the 70's what was the crazy win streak Clintwood had? That was before divisions too. The only team to come from the Region D area that has even came close to matching that 90's success was the early 00's GC teams.

It does matter that there werent 6-7 really good teams, 3 teams isint SWVA, its 3 teams. In '98 GC, PV and Appy were great(like you said lung, 1/2 of the state titles were won by schools within 40 miles of each other) but did they have any local competiton? Were there any other really good teams in SWVA?

Clintwood was INCREDIBLE in the 70s but they also had an enrollment of 700+(over 2X what they have now). Thats big but I dont know how it compared to their competition.

I know this is ALOT to ask but how many state championship game appearances does SWVA(Regions C, D and IV) have?

Im not saying PV, Appy, Clintwood, Gate City, etc the premier programs werent really, really good. Im questioning SWVAs overall depth year in snd year out. How many programs were a legit threat to the top programs and how many other programs made it to state?

Edited by redtiger

It does matter that there werent 6-7 really good teams, 3 teams isint SWVA, its 3 teams. In '98 GC, PV and Appy were great(like you said lung, 1/2 of the state titles were won by schools within 40 miles of each other) but did they have any local competiton? Were there any other really good teams in SWVA?

Clintwood was INCREDIBLE in the 70s but they also had an enrollment of 700+(over 2X what they have now). Thats big but I dont know how it compared to their competition.

I know this is ALOT to ask but how many state championship game appearances does SWVA(Regions C, D and IV) have?

Im not saying PV, Appy, Clintwood, Gate City, etc the premier programs werent really, really good. Im questioning SWVAs overall depth year in snd year out. How many programs were a legit threat to the top programs and how many other programs made it to state?

You need to look at the VHSL past football champions. SWVA has been well represented over the years beginning in 1962 with Graham winning the state title. You also need to think about all the coaches in SWVA who have at least 200 victories. The amount of coaches in the 150-175 range is also pretty high.

SWVA football is more than just Appy,PV,Clintwood, and Gate City there is a few teams you wouldn't think of like Chillhowie,Pennington and Jonesville before consolidation even the ol" BDD sent a couple teams to the semi's and state title game.

The thing was, those teams did run rough shod over team sin this area, but still, they faced their toughest competition in this area also. PV didnt have a real test all year other than against Appy, when they picked off Travis Turner in the end zone with a few seconds left to win the game.

Lee High was loaded, but couldn't get over the top of the other three, and lost on a FG I believe to Heritage in the D4 state semis.

Gate City was the luckiest one to win the state title. Jefferson Forest was the best team in D3, and GC won on a last second FG. The next week they played Broadway in the title game and I didn't think they were very good at all.

Appy got a scare in the title game when they played Surry and pulled out a 24-21 win after coming from behind early in the game if I am not mistaken.

Burton, and Pound would go on the next two years representing the LPD in the state title game falling in both. THey had some athletes at that time as well, but couldn't come close to Appy or PV although they could have competed for a state title in D1. Rye Cove was ranked 5th in the state, but Appy creamed them in the regional finals.

yeah...back 20+ years ago it was that great...you had local teams in the run for state every year in a time when not everyone and their brother made the playoffs. Grundy even had it's shots here and there but fell short. Graham won, Tazewell won, Richlands won, Clintwood and Gate City were always a powerhouse, Giles was always hard to beat, Marion and Lebanon put good teams on the field every year...even John Battle was tuff...but, that was then...this is now...things are not the same, mostly because the population has shrunk with the local economy in most areas...for about 30+ years when the coal and industrial boom that went with it on this side of the state was going, we had some solid teams around here. Now, not so much...but, we still have a few that are usually still good year in and year out....and every so often one of the others puts a good team on the field. The biggest challenge here now is population...we just dont have enough kids playing ball at the lower levels to pull from like we had years ago....that's what it boils down to.
what was the greatest grundy time of all time in your opinion?

what was the greatest grundy time of all time in your opinion?

I think the 1996 team was one of, if not the best...I'd probably go with them...probably should have won state that year to be honest. There were some unfortunate events that took place and it just didn't happen. There are a couple of others you can throw in there, but I'd lean towards that one I think.

Perhaps this could be, as I said about 2 weeks ago when I got shouted down by ~75% of this board, that SWVA football is VERY weak this year compared to its competition east of Roanoke.

Which might just be a result of what Lance said in his post on the last page: smaller pools of kids to draw from...

Guest king kone

This is what happens when you let more than district champions in.......