Cave Spring at Richlands

Ryan4VT

I'm pretty surprised to see all of the predictions for a marginal Richlands win. Cave Spring is a very good D3 team. They beat Christiansburg which is enough in itself to prove how good they are. Cave played a very tough schedule in the River Ridge. They also face undefeated Northside. Richlands schedule is very weak in comparison. It has been weeks since Richlands has faced a good opponent. Maybe D1 Honaker back 6 weeks ago?

Do some of you realize how bad Tunstall is? They beat Patrick 7-0. Patrick is one of the worse teams in the state in any classification. I see this as a complete dog fight. No easy games from here on out. I would pick Richlands because it is at their place but it can go either way.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok maybe I don't know my english well, but isnt "marginal" used to describe a small amount, or just enough?? I'm not sure why you would be surprised by predictions of a marginal win by Richlands if you feel Cave is a very good team.

rushing per game

145 William Byrd

247 Martinville

206 Northside

180 Lord Botetourt

184 Allegheny

214 Salem

287 Pulaski County

158 Blacksburg

208 Christiansburg

189 Hidden Valley

297 Martinsville

total 2315

These are very impressive numbers even if the competition was bad but I know several of these teams are very good football teams. I hope we can slow him down and keep them from running at will. It will be a huge test for our defensive line and linbackers to keep him in check. It may just be a game of outscoring each other and who has the ball last. Should be a Great game to see. I love to see close games as we don't get many in Richlands due to the people we have access to play down here in SWVA. I wish we could pick up Salem or Christiansburg or even Blacksburg somehow. They are much closer than Patrick county and they have excellent programs year in and year out. This would help us also to be ready for the level of competition we have in the playoffs. I personally think if we had better competition throughout the years we may have a another title or 2 in our books. Its hard to simulate good competition in practice.

The way I feel about this matchup is whoever can outscore the other one, Richlands will not be able to stop sam wright on every down, and cave will not be able to stop Devon or Reece on every down, I see a turnover or two being the difference in this game, ahhhh F**K it, I'll take richlands 35-28

The way I feel about this matchup is whoever can outscore the other one, Richlands will not be able to stop sam wright on every down, and cave will not be able to stop Devon or Reece on every down, I see a turnover or two being the difference in this game, ahhhh F**K it, I'll take richlands 35-28

I don't think Cave Spring will score 28 points on this Richlands defense. Everyone talks about the Blues' offense, and the offense is very good, but the defense has been outstanding this season, and a lot of the scoring by Richlands has been created by the stops made by the defense.

I don't think Cave Spring will score 28 points on this Richlands defense. Everyone talks about the Blues' offense, and the offense is very good, but the defense has been outstanding this season, and a lot of the scoring by Richlands has been created by the stops made by the defense.

While I believe the Blues will win, I wish I was as confident about their ability to stop Cave Spring from scoring. Pulaski County moved the ball well on the ground in the second half of that game which makes me a little nervous.

Edited by parsons

But next week Richlands does not play Tunstall again. CS is the best team we have seen and are certainly good enough to beat us. Tunstall is not a good football team. Marion must have just flat laid down. Spare me all of the "Richlands will roll" crap, some of our players frequent this website and they need the truth. Which is this. Cave Spring is not intimidated by us. They are good enough to win and that is what they are planning to do. You will need to bust your guts in practice this week and on Friday night to advance. Take this game lightly and your season will be over Friday night @ 10 p.m.

I agree, Tunstall had a losing record and Marion wasn't that good. I think RHS will be ready though, who ever turns the ball over the most loses.

I agree, Tunstall had a losing record and Marion wasn't that good. I think RHS will be ready though, who ever turns the ball over the most loses.

and Tazewell was horrible I believe Northwood could have beat them

I'm pretty surprised to see all of the predictions for a marginal Richlands win. Cave Spring is a very good D3 team. They beat Christiansburg which is enough in itself to prove how good they are. Cave played a very tough schedule in the River Ridge. They also face undefeated Northside. Richlands schedule is very weak in comparison. It has been weeks since Richlands has faced a good opponent. Maybe D1 Honaker back 6 weeks ago?

Do some of you realize how bad Tunstall is? They beat Patrick 7-0. Patrick is one of the worse teams in the state in any classification. I see this as a complete dog fight. No easy games from here on out. I would pick Richlands because it is at their place but it can go either way.

Tunstall beat Patrick County 21 -13.

Ron Brown said that Tunstall had several key injuries mid-year that contributed to some of their losses. I know they almost beat Martinsville their last game and were only down 15-0 at the half against Magna Vista.....so the Patrick County score makes you scratch your head.

Having seen both teams I don't think Richlands fans have alot to worry about.

Devin and Sam Wright will get their share of the yardage but Richlands will be able to exploit Cave's secondary.

Cave will be the best team Richlands has played but they are missing some key ingredients.

For one Cave has no kicking game whatsoever. They rarely attempt extra points and kickoffs are pathetic at best. Richlands is guaranteed excellent field position to respond to any Cave score.

Cave fans do not travel well. Even with excellent weather I do not expect a large CS turnout.

Cave also knows whats coming if they were to win this game. Several of their parents think they will have a fighting chance against Brookville but they have zero interest in seeing Northside in the semi finals.

On the flip side these Cave kids want to prove everyone wrong. With the exception of the Northside game they have relished in their ability to overachieve. (CBurg)

Barring a major turnover issue for Richlands I expect to see the Blue Tornado win this game 38-26.

Having seen both teams I don't think Richlands fans have alot to worry about.

Devin and Sam Wright will get their share of the yardage but Richlands will be able to exploit Cave's secondary.

Cave will be the best team Richlands has played but they are missing some key ingredients.

For one Cave has no kicking game whatsoever. They rarely attempt extra points and kickoffs are pathetic at best. Richlands is guaranteed excellent field position to respond to any Cave score.

Cave fans do not travel well. Even with excellent weather I do not expect a large CS turnout.

Cave also knows whats coming if they were to win this game. Several of their parents think they will have a fighting chance against Brookville but they have zero interest in seeing Northside in the semi finals.

On the flip side these Cave kids want to prove everyone wrong. With the exception of the Northside game they have relished in their ability to overachieve. (CBurg)

Barring a major turnover issue for Richlands I expect to see the Blue Tornado win this game 38-26.

Good points MR. Nut

1. Kicking game has been lacking all season. Well it's been lacking the past 6 years I've followed Cave Spring. the last time a the Kicking won us game was on the last play of the Northside game 2009.

IMG_6664

2. Cave Spring does not really turn out fans, I'm shocked (as a Richlands native) by how Cave Spring Fans don't travel. Here's Richlands Fans in 2009 - not a bad showing, yes it was very cold. Interest in High School football is not at same level in Cave Spring.

Cave Spring vs. Richlands -9592

3. When they told the crowd that Salem had lost in OT, a cheer when up, that's got to make a Richlands fan happy.

4. I believe if Sam Wright rushes for >200 yards Cave Spring Can win this game. If Sam Wright can run the ball and control the clock, keeping Richlands offense off the field, that is the key to victory.

5. No matter who wins I follow them to the finals. Man I love High School Football!!

See you Friday night.

Edited by tjwitten

I'll be interested in whether they do that with Richlands or not. I wouldn't want to give that offense any better field position than I had to,but they talk like their kicking game is horrible so who knows.

I'll be interested in whether they do that with Richlands or not. I wouldn't want to give that offense any better field position than I had to,but they talk like their kicking game is horrible so who knows.

Every kick against C-burg was a quib.

I believe Tim Fulton (Cave Spring Coach - Cave Spring class of 83) knows he is not going kick it deep an a consistent basis, so they kick on the ground like a pinball. This reduces the change of the big runback, but oftern gives the other team the ball of the 35 or 40. Really - it's fun to watch. C-burg did burn them on any kickoffs.

These are very impressive numbers even if the competition was bad but I know several of these teams are very good football teams. I hope we can slow him down and keep them from running at will. It will be a huge test for our defensive line and linbackers to keep him in check. It may just be a game of outscoring each other and who has the ball last. Should be a Great game to see. I love to see close games as we don't get many in Richlands due to the people we have access to play down here in SWVA. I wish we could pick up Salem or Christiansburg or even Blacksburg somehow. They are much closer than Patrick county and they have excellent programs year in and year out. This would help us also to be ready for the level of competition we have in the playoffs. I personally think if we had better competition throughout the years we may have a another title or 2 in our books. Its hard to simulate good competition in practice.

When we lost Grundy and Lebanon, the first two teams Mance tried to schedule was blacksburgh and Christiansburg. This is not heresay. Straight from the boss. They will not play us.

Thats interesting Kirstie, I'm not sure why they wouldn't I guess it could be one of those things where they feel like we need them a lot more than they need us? It would be nice to have had those two teams on the schedule tho for sure.

I so excited about this game, I'm not sleeping well. My English neighbor is coming with me, he said "Where in the blood hell is Richlands?"

TJ, Your English neighbor doesn't live in a sub-division off of Colonial Ave does he? When I read your post it made me think of him.

I'm torn on this game. I will be able to go to the state semi next week and I want to see Richlands play a top flight opponent but the thought of Bogle being only a mile from my house makes me root for Cave.

I agree with the points you made on the game. Although I'll stick with my pick of Richlands winning I will agree that if Sam can control the clock Cave can frustrate Richlands. I also wonder how Richlands will react if everything doesn't come easy as it has so far this year.

Cave may win Friday night.. who can say for sure, but as I have said all season, these boys have played with a big chip on their shoulder all year, I don't see them laying down if Cave jumps on them early, I fully expect for it to be a dogfight, and in an earlier post I saw someone said Cave had no interest in playing Northside, which is interesting because i was playing around with the projection thing the other day and it had Brookville winning the majority of the time, not saying that means they would, it just seems that the opinion is that Brookville is ever bit as good as Northside? So I'm not sure why you would prefer one that much over the other.