G.W. Danville may drop to Div. 4 AA

Bulldog 82

Not sure how much interest there is on the forum about Danville dropping to AA but considering they used to be Div. 6 AAA, that is a significant drop. Not sure if they would move to the Piedmont Dist. or the Seminole Dist.. The Seminole would be a better fit competition wise but the Piedmont teams would be a lot closer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acoach told me that abingdon carroll co pulaski blacksburg and christiansburg would form a new district when richlands marion and tazwell drop you heard anything on this. would they call it the I81 DISTRICT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF TRAVEL TIME.

acoach told me that abingdon carroll co pulaski blacksburg and christiansburg would form a new district when richlands marion and tazwell drop you heard anything on this. would they call it the I81 DISTRICT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF TRAVEL TIME.

thats been rumored (Interstate District) for 30+ years. I dont know where Marion is numbers wise or if they can make the drop with the others...this is all talked about for the next 2 year cycle....which we are finishing up year one now. I figure if it hasn't happened yet, it won't. To many people will complain, although to me it makes good sense.

As said before in former threads, Abingdon would be a huge loser if RHS,THS, and MSHS did drop... As far as GW-Danville goes, the entire southside there has been hit hard by industry loss, it's a very sad situation, as SWVA knows all too well!!!

martinsville has had the highest unemployment rate in virginia month after month after month for the last 3 or 4 years or more. henry county and the city of danville are always near the top 5 localities for unemployment as well. i don't know the exact numbers this time around, but martinsville has dropped to barely over 700 students.

thats been rumored (Interstate District) for 30+ years. I dont know where Marion is numbers wise or if they can make the drop with the others...this is all talked about for the next 2 year cycle....which we are finishing up year one now. I figure if it hasn't happened yet, it won't. To many people will complain, although to me it makes good sense.

Marion will be hogo bound in a couple years most likely

Marion already has single A numbers.... they'll most likely be dropping next cycle....but they will join the HogoHeegee....when they do.

Abingdon will have no part of that district.... they will probably petition to go to single A for hardship....and probably get it.

one thing, if they keep the current playoff system next go around...there is really no need for districts...they could just do away with them and leave you in a region/division ...which will create schedule anarchy.

one thing, if they keep the current playoff system next go around...there is really no need for districts...they could just do away with them and leave you in a region/division ...which will create schedule anarchy.

Although the districts aren't really necessary for football now, I couldn't see them going away as long as they're needed in all the other sports.

Although the districts aren't really necessary for football now, I couldn't see them going away as long as they're needed in all the other sports.

yeah but you know the VHSL...i wouldn't put it past them to just region/division everything across the boards...if they can do it in football they can do it in any sport. I don't think they will, just saying...sounds like something they would pull.

No way Abingdon gets to play down in A, their enrollment is WAY too high

Doesn't matter....in this day and age with travel expenses....they'll let them drop down... On the other end of the spectrum, there are a couple schools in Richmond, VA with 500 or 600 playing up to AAA because of travel.... (Armstrong, for one). Doesn't Abingdon have less than 900 students now? That's not "way too high'.... Cutoff for single A is around 750.

Edited by futbolking

True. I forget that Abingdons enrollment has declined while the "cutoff" enrollment for A has went up.

I still say a split district is the best option.

I cant understand those schools laying up to AAA. Just give up hope of ever really being competitive in athletics. What would be some approximate travel times of these schools if they were to move to their apporiate division? I really dont know much about the schools on that side of the state

Edited by redtiger

Abingdon's enrollment is still over 900 last time I checked. IMO they really are too big to drop. Lee dropped with somewhere around 800+ kids and I'd say it really only happened because a new district opened up (the CMD) and they saw enrollment dropping (I think they're pretty solid A numbers now). AHS won't get that lucky and will have to stay up, at least for a few more years.

Wouldnt a straight up, hard number 6A system help those schools playing up in AAA in the Richmond area? They could form their own district in whatever classification they would be in. They would still need to play larger schools ood but could play where they belong in the playoffs.

just a thought

On the other end of the spectrum, there are a couple schools in Richmond, VA with 500 or 600 playing up to AAA because of travel.... (Armstrong, for one).

Incorrect. The smallest school in the Richmond area that is playing up to AAA is Thomas Jefferson, with an enrollment of 764. John Marshall (883), Colonial Heights (914), and George Wythe-Rich. (917) are the only other schools in the Richmond area with less than 1000 students that are playing up to AAA. New school, Glen Allen, had a projected enrollment of 700 but that is expected to double as the school fills in all four grades. BTW, Armstrong has 1002 students for this R&R period...

True. I forget that Abingdons enrollment has declined while the "cutoff" enrollment for A has went up.

I still say a split district is the best option.

I cant understand those schools laying up to AAA. Just give up hope of ever really being competitive in athletics. What would be some approximate travel times of these schools if they were to move to their apporiate division? I really dont know much about the schools on that side of the state

There are a few single A schools in the Richmond area....Cumberland, Goochland, Amelia...Armstrong is an inner city school and is surrounded by numerous AAA schools...probably why they choose to play up.

I disagree with the others that VHSL won't allow Abingdon to drop to single A....I believe that, if they are interested in doing so, the state will allow it, especially in this economy and budgets being cut to the bare bones.

Wouldnt a straight up, hard number 6A system help those schools playing up in AAA in the Richmond area?

Actually, a "hard number" system would "isolate" more schools and create some bigger travel issues than there are now.