VHSL to Form New District

Bulldog 82

Sounds legit. I get the feeling that AA and AAA will soon move to a playoff system like what has been implemented in A(w/ some modifications/improvements). The system would work really in AAA as the schools arent spread out like the As are. It should work out well in AA also. When/if that happens split districts would be perfectly reasonable because district champs no longer get auto-bids. Districts will simply exist to ease scheduling concerns and winning them will only be for pride.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

link to VHSL classification breakdown...

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-2013-14-2014-15-initial-plan.pdf

There are some big enrollment number differences between those projections and current enrollments.

Alleghany, 482??? Is that correct??? They have 837 now...could be a typo, 842, maybe???

Cave Spring is projected to have Class A numbers at 695, down from 851. Hidden Valley from 1158 to 796??? Glenvar from 638 to 437??? HMMM...I don't think Roanoke Co. reported their numbers correctly...anyone???

Lebanon from 568 to 382???

Honaker from 397 to 282???

There are some big enrollment number differences between those projections and current enrollments.

Alleghany, 482??? Is that correct??? They have 837 now...could be a typo, 842, maybe???

Cave Spring is projected to have Class A numbers at 695, down from 851. Hidden Valley from 1158 to 796??? Glenvar from 638 to 437??? HMMM...I don't think Roanoke Co. reported their numbers correctly...anyone???

I think I missed out on the mass exodus.

I heard the VHSL commitee was soppose to meet today and were going to talk about redistricting all teams and about moving Richlands and Tazewell down to single A. Has anyone else heard this or anything about this?

According to the published report, they've still got both schools listed in the SWD for the 2014-2015 cycle.

Figures are suspicious for Castlewood as well. Given that Castlewood ended up with at least 80% of the St. Paul students and they have had a fairly stable enrollment over the last several years- a 248 figure is unbelievable.

Figures are suspicious for Castlewood as well. Given that Castlewood ended up with at least 80% of the St. Paul students and they have had a fairly stable enrollment over the last several years- a 248 figure is unbelievable.

And that's down from a current number of 284...

Why not do like they had once talked,

0-400 A

400-800 AA

800-1200 AAA

1200-1600 4-A

1600+ 5A

Looks like this would fix everything??

Finally someone with a logical solution.Seems simple to do,why cant they figure it out?

Finally someone with a logical solution.Seems simple to do,why cant they figure it out?

This has been mulled over 100 times and is obviously the first thing anyone looks at when they consider reclassification.

Unfortunately the state of Virginia isn't laid out so neatly.

As someone stated in an earlier post, breaking up the numbers like this sounds nice but it leaves several schools on an island to themselves.

This has been mulled over 100 times and is obviously the first thing anyone looks at when they consider reclassification.

As someone stated in an earlier post, breaking up the numbers like this sounds nice but it leaves several schools on an island to themselves.

The way it is now,teams like Hurley,Bland,Narrows Twin Valley,Thomas Walker,and others are on a Island now.It is hard for teams with such small enrolements to compete.

A potential solution to the Roanoke City problem is for Roanoke City to cut a deal with Roanoke County- alter attendance zones- send them some kids- problem solved. Grant you this would be easier with William Fleming than with Patrick Henry.

The way it is now,teams like Hurley,Bland,Narrows Twin Valley,Thomas Walker,and others are on a Island now.It is hard for teams with such small enrolements to compete.

That's going to be the nature of their existence I'm afraid. Schools are only going to get smaller.

Look at Giles.....I call bull on that. They made sure they got way under that 475 division 1 line. Lol

Not only this, you'd have schools like T.C. Williams (2946) competing on the same field as Albemarle (1664). The 4A and 5A numbers need to be stretched a bit so you don't have such a blatant discrepancy.

However, a 4A system works well in Pennsylvania, a state that's much more open than even Virginia and similarly situated with "schools on islands" demographically. It can work.

Why not just split up into 4 regions top to bottom numbers divisions 1-6. Play the teams in your region. Or play a team close in numbers or someone that would be a good rival game from another division that is close to the school. Top 4-6 teams make playoffs.and so on

The above link Helper posted I'm printing for ALL to read

Thursday, December 1, 2011

News: VHSL Releases Revised Membership Figures; Initial Proposed Alignment Plan Released Tuesday Stands

(Dec. 1, 2011) - The Virginia High School League released revised membership numbers on Wednesday and said that the initial proposed alignment plan for 2013-14 and 2014-15 that was released on Tuesday remains the same.

The “revised†September 30 Membership Figures as provided by DOE have been posted on the VHSL r website: http://www.vhsl.org/classification.

Here are the next steps in the process to approve the plan:

*Schools will be given until January 9 to submit in writing a request for modification to the initial R&R plan.

*On February 2 R&R Committee meets to consider modification requests and present a revised plan to the Executive Committee on February 22 and the membership on March 8 and 9.

*R&R Committee will meet April 17 (tentative time 9:00 a.m.) to consider final appeals

*After acting on appeals, the committee will present its final plan with justification for Executive Committee approval on May 3. The Executive Committee will hear no appeals.

The Piedmont Dist. got railroaded just to satisfy a bunch of cry baby AAA schools. I hope the Piedmont Dist. hires some lawyers and takes legal action.

Martinsville should just go ahead and drop to Class since they have Class A numbers now. This will avoid having to play a AAA school in "district play"...

Martinsville should just go ahead and drop to Class since they have Class A numbers now. This will avoid having to play a AAA school in "district play"...

Why dont they just drop? There are plenty of A schools close to them.

How hard is it for them to make the post-season if they stay? I know the fb team only needs to win 2 games if they stay in Reg. IV... they'll prob. have to win 5 to make it in Div. 2. Don't know how the other sports would do... I know nothing about post-season field size in Reg. IV outside of fb & wrestling.

I agree that Martinsville should drop to single 'A' and join the Dogwood District. When I graduated from Martinsville back in the 80's, we had close to 1200 students. Martinsville has had a long history in group AA and in the Piedmont Dist. but times and enrollment has changed. I just don't see the Dogs being able to compete with schools double and triple their size.