BDT- Devon Johnson-Richlands-POY

trublue

Congrats Devon, it has been an honor to watch you play...

November 30, 2011

Repeat: Johnson wins top honors

By TOM BONE

The Bluefield Daily Telegraph

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x910010058/Repeat-Johnson-wins-top-honors

excerpt:

PRINCETON — Devon Johnson is now in elite company.

On Tuesday night, the Richlands senior joined Ahmad Bradshaw as the only two-time winners of the Football Player of the Year award presented by the Pocahontas Coal Association and the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

The 11th annual awards dinner took place at the Princeton Elks.

Last year’s winner, Johnson made it two in a row with a season that included 32 touchdowns and 1,818 rushing yards with an average of 11.7 yards per carry. At linebacker he recorded more than 100 tackles, nearly 80 percent solo, forced several fumbles and returned an interception for a touchdown.

Congrats Devon, it has been an honor to watch you play...

November 30, 2011

Repeat: Johnson wins top honors

By TOM BONE

The Bluefield Daily Telegraph

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x910010058/Repeat-Johnson-wins-top-honors

excerpt:

PRINCETON — Devon Johnson is now in elite company.

On Tuesday night, the Richlands senior joined Ahmad Bradshaw as the only two-time winners of the Football Player of the Year award presented by the Pocahontas Coal Association and the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

The 11th annual awards dinner took place at the Princeton Elks.

Last year’s winner, Johnson made it two in a row with a season that included 32 touchdowns and 1,818 rushing yards with an average of 11.7 yards per carry. At linebacker he recorded more than 100 tackles, nearly 80 percent solo, forced several fumbles and returned an interception for a touchdown.

Hey everyone Devon and several other excellent Richlands football players will be playing in this yrs FCA Va versus Tenn All-Star game at Science Hill on Dec17th ,1pm ----Reece Strong, Taylor Wade, Josh Hess, Josh Compton, Jeremy Macglothlin , Hunter Brown .....Tyler Graham of Lee will join Devon in the backfield...Austin Dotson of Clintwood at Fullback...GW players, GC, Honaker ,etc....come support the SWVA team!:)

Congrats also to Reece Strong of Richlands and Jacob Muncy of River View...both of these young men were finalists. Link below for this:

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1202024470/Honors-flow-for-elite-11

A shoutout to ALL the senior FB players for Richlands...we WILL MISS YOU!!!

How very blessed Richlands has been to have such quality players and young men representing our program. Thank you for the OUTSTANDING year we had. The best to ALL of you after high school.

Congrats to Devon!! Hope he does good at Marshall and just might be able to play on Sunday's if he works hard to achieve it. We Richlands fans will miss all of the SENIORS. Good luck to each and everyone of you!! GO BLUES!!

the thing about Devon, he looks like he already has a bigger frame than Bradshaw had going in to Marshall, and look how he came out...If he works out like he should, he might well end up not running the ball...he has a great future ahead of him if he takes advantage of it!

the thing about Devon, he looks like he already has a bigger frame than Bradshaw had going in to Marshall, and look how he came out...If he works out like he should, he might well end up not running the ball...he has a great future ahead of him if he takes advantage of it!

I thought he was goin to Marshall as a LB?

I havent seen him personally but from what ive seen on film I think he could do either.

Is Marshall still running a Spread look on O? If so im gonna say LB

Marshall does run the spread.

Johnson was recruited and will play linebacker at Marshall. I highly doubt he'll get a shot at RB. Next year, both starting running backs will only be a sophomore and a junior (sophomore being a 4* former Florida commit that didn't qualify there). They've redshirted at least one this year too who will be joining at least 2 NQ's (with ACC, SEC and Big 10 offers) next fall. Not saying he couldn't beat them out, just saying that Marshall is completely satisfied with their current stable of RBs and want Johnson's talents to help a struggling D.

Johnson is going to shine at LB in Huntington because just about everyone of their opponents run the spread too. He's quick and athletic enough to stop the run and cover the receivers out of the backfield. Depending on how quick he can learn the defensive schemes, he might find himself playing a whole lot next season.

Congrats Devon on a well deserved honor!! I really enjoyed watching you and the rest of the blues this year and I wish you all the best when you get to Marshall !

Work hard while you are there and we may be watching you play on Sundays in the future.

Stay humble and don't forget the Friday nights you had at Ernie!

Marshall does run the spread.

Johnson was recruited and will play linebacker at Marshall. I highly doubt he'll get a shot at RB. Next year, both starting running backs will only be a sophomore and a junior (sophomore being a 4* former Florida commit that didn't qualify there). They've redshirted at least one this year too who will be joining at least 2 NQ's (with ACC, SEC and Big 10 offers) next fall. Not saying he couldn't beat them out, just saying that Marshall is completely satisfied with their current stable of RBs and want Johnson's talents to help a struggling D.

Johnson is going to shine at LB in Huntington because just about everyone of their opponents run the spread too. He's quick and athletic enough to stop the run and cover the receivers out of the backfield. Depending on how quick he can learn the defensive schemes, he might find himself playing a whole lot next season.

So, Inside or Outside LB?

So, Inside or Outside LB?

Hard to tell. As much motion in some of the C-USA offenses, it doesn't really matter. LBs usually play all over the field. If I had to guess, though, I'd say inside LB based on his potential size. He has a chance to be a monster.