galax vs clintwood

fridaynightfun

"You can't make that call in that situation," he said. "If they had, it would have been the wrong call."

-takes a big man to step up and say that...play looked clean to me by the way.

Yeah, agreed...sometimes you just got to let them play.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, agreed...sometimes you just got to let them play.

well...i will say, they didn't call that play any different from any other play that day...and no one complained about the rest of the game...didn't really hear anyone complain about the last play really. I thought the refs did a good job.

well...i will say, they didn't call that play any different from any other play that day...and no one complained about the rest of the game...didn't really hear anyone complain about the last play really. I thought the refs did a good job.

Same here ... Refs were pretty good Saturday ..even called offensive pass interference which in my opinion is often non-called ... The Sussex -Clintwood game had a lot of missed calls imo...

That old school run over ya stuff stops sat..get a grind ya out team behind and.its over

Get a grind you out team and its over,lol... Clintwood got down 14 points in the first quarter....did you think it was over??? Scored the next 33 points...lol!

Galax 56 Clintwood 10

That's being nice. Anyone remember how bad Clintwood got beat by Grayson? Everyone aware that Galax beat Grayson by 2 Touchdowns? I know anything can happen, especially with the fire a state championship sets inside of a kid, and I know that comparing scores is never any good but when the point spread is that big it cant help but to throw up some red flags. In no way am i hoping for a blowout and i like Clintwood but i see them hollering Uncle by the 3rd quarter. Galax is on a completely different level than both single A divisions. They might've made a good run in the AA play-offs. I understand the lack of attention they're getting on this board being greatly due to the fact most of us live farther west, but i make no joke when i tell you Galax is downright scary good.

Galax 56 -Clintwood 10 ,lol!! Hollering uncle by the 3rd quarter...uh,,3rd quarter Clintwood was up 33 to 14---Galax was a good team but in my opinion GW was better and so was Sussex .. Sussex could hit harder than any team I saw Clintwood play... I told their Coach and fans I would not want to play Sussex twice...

I had predicted Galax victory with prospect of Cliny\twood win with if Galax made a few mistakes which of course occurred. I also think that when Clintwood came back to tie Galax got a little tight espcially in the 2nd/3rd quarters. Clintwood was well prepared and I felt Galax got away from the things they had done well all year, I saw Galax do some things they hadn/t done all year. Give Clintwood the credit for this but felt when Galax faced some adversity in the 2nd/3rd quarters they responded poorly all across the board.

That old school run over ya stuff stops sat..get a grind ya out team behind and.its over

Uh, I think that you maybe should rethink this statement.

I said in an earlier post that if Clintwood could keep it close that they would wear down Galax. Clintwood didn't panic when they were down 14-0. You could tell that they had been in that situation before. I don't think Galax knew how to respond until they broke that big play in the 3rd. Still CW had a chance to put the last nail in the coffin. Give Galax credit for that play as well on 4th down and inches...

I give Galax much respect. They could have folded but didn't. I thought that they might pull it off. It was a great game. My hats off to both teams. That was by far one of the best championship games that I have ever witnessed.

Edited by falconfan1

Give Clintwood the credit for this, but felt when Galax faced some adversity in the 2nd/3rd quarters they responded poorly all across the board.

"but" does not apply in this case. overcoming adversity, which Clintwood did all year and into the playoffs, is a major part of winning...especially over a 15 game season. Galax didn't lose the game...Clintwood won it.

yea really on the lotto!!!!!!!!!! this has turned out to be a great season, after the first 3 games, i kinda wondered, but dang.... they really turned it around.....i don't want to see interstate 81 for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Galax was completly unprepared in terms of handling adversity. They came out on fire and when Clintwood didnt lay down they looked a little puzzled, Clintwood was cool as a cucumber.

I liked Galax's offensive scheme BUT I think it hurt them not having another running thread other than the TB, and not having an inside thread. All they could do was hit offtackle and outside. No doubt Clintwood hadnt seen a scheme like that and it showed early but once they figured it out they did a prett fair job against it. About 80 of Galax's rushing yards came on 1 play from a "wildcat" set, great fake on the Jet Sweep and the TB was G O N E ! I would guess that most of the other rushing yards came early

Clintwood opened it up a little on offense and that imo made the biggest difference

Edited by redtiger

Did anyone else find it odd that Clintwood called a sweep on that 4th and inches play from the Galax 6 in the 4th quarter that got stuffed? I was certain they'd just give it to Dotson, or at the very least run a sneak. I'm sure CW was thinking Galax would be looking for that, hence the sweep, but given CW's bulk, I thought they'd play it safe and go up the gut anyway.

At that point CW was up 33-21 and another TD would have certainly put it away (I think there was around 7 min left at that point). Even if CW had only gotten a first down and not scored later, a first and goal would have at least let them run another 1:30 off the clock.

During that last Galax drive, I kept thinking Clintwood might have blown it with that one 4th and goal call. Luckily for them it didn't.

Did anyone else find it odd that Clintwood called a sweep on that 4th and inches play from the Galax 6 in the 4th quarter that got stuffed? I was certain they'd just give it to Dotson, or at the very least run a sneak. I'm sure CW was thinking Galax would be looking for that, hence the sweep, but given CW's bulk, I thought they'd play it safe and go up the gut anyway.

At that point CW was up 33-21 and another TD would have certainly put it away (I think there was around 7 min left at that point). Even if CW had only gotten a first down and not scored later, a first and goal would have at least let them run another 1:30 off the clock.

During that last Galax drive, I kept thinking Clintwood might have blown it with that one 4th and goal call. Luckily for them it didn't.

Alot of offensive play calling in that game was lacking. Very rarely did Galax have a defensive front that had a DL covering the center. The 4th and inches call should have just been to have the qb fall forward or give the ball to Dotson. I've seen a lot of the Galax folks claim that Clintwood played a "flawless game". It was far from it and actually one of their worst performances since their last loss. Someone here claimed that Galax won the 2nd half and Clintwood won the 1st, that's even more rediculous. Clintwood dominated the 2nd and 3rd and was playing not to lose the 4th quarter and their usual feeling out the 1st quarter. I'm happy with the win but they could have really put a foot down and made a huge statement to some of the mouth runners on here and other places that would have left me feeling even better this week. I loved Robbie Mullins comment in the paper "They played with big heads, we played with big hearts.". Thanks to all of the Galax folks who claimed that if Clintwood played flawlessly and played their best game they'd lose a close game and if Galax played their best game it'd be a 42 point win. Don't think those guys didn't see that nonsence. Also thanks for harping on that Grayson loss that Clintwood had. That helped feed into your own kids heads and give an even more undeserved since of overconfidence. A lot of uncalled for stuff was said by a lot of you folks and I'll credit it to never being in that situation before. To all of you who were respectful disregard this but a lot of the others deserve the misery you're in right now.

As soon as I post this I get this stupidity posted on the LPD board....

posted by musiqsdestiny...

I'm right here...first of all I wasn't bragging I was quoting facts and giving credit where credit is due....The ironic thing is that EVERY single Clintwood fan I spoke to at the end of the game all basically said the EXACT samething.....that the ONLY reason Clintwood won this game was because of 20pts that was handed to them due to the ball getting caught up by the wind in mid air on kicks and Galax losing it, thus resulting in it clanking off of a helment and Clintwood recovering it in excellent field position, my grandmother could of scored with that kind of field position, not to mention that those were the ONLY times Clintwood even ended up in the redzone the entire game, because before that moment Galax was clearly on route to putting up 35pts before the half because Galax moved the ball with ease the entire game and had completely shut Clintwoods offense down the entire game with the exception of 3 good drives that Clintwood had....Not to mention the time keeper that let 3+ seconds run off the clock of 4 different plays and clearly blaten pass interference call that wasn't called on the last pass of the game, if you check the replay you will see that the defender on Deon George (WR #8) clearly tackled him while the ball was in mid-air and then stood straight looking for the flag, and completely had a shocked look on his face when he realized they didn't. But without even requesting a review the VHSL has already requested game film to look over cause there even curious about the last 30secs of the game.....I'd like to take this time to quote a group of Clintwood fans that I recorded and interviewed at the end of the game....."Honestly?...I'm not gonna lie, I am very happy that the Greenwave and LPD pride brought home the state championship trophy, but in my heart I know we got lucky today cause that Tide team was very very good!! (another Clintwood fan) Yea, I mean yes we did score 14pts on our own but the rest we got lucky and had handed to us because of some faulty kicks and then got that huge break when Galax blew there coverage on that 4th down play. (Another Clintwood fan) Yea cause Galax showed the entire game that when they wasn't making mistakes there was nothing we could do to stop them on both offense and defense which surprises me cause we so much bigger than them, but yea I agree with everyone else, had we not go those few breaks Galax would of killed us and we all know that, but still yet im glad we won".......Those were clintwood fans talking need I remind you...I didn't speak to a single Clintwood fan that said the greenwave flat out beat Galax. Spoke to plenty that said you all got lucky. Honestly, there were just about 3 plays the entire game that I was impressed with in dealing with Clintwood and there were, the long pass in the 2nd half for a TD, the 30yrd run in the 2nd half for a TD, and the fact that you all did run some clock with the running game in the 2nd half despite not being able to put points on the board, the truth of the matter is and I as well as every other news station and analyst that was there all have unanomously agreed that (minus the natural wind elements that helped Clintwood and Galax's one blown coverage on the 4th down play that resulted in a touch) Galax completely dominated this game, they out ran, out passed, had more yardage on special teams, and more tackles for loss's and interceptions....Clintwood simply had some FANTASTIC things go there way with some kicks and such which resulted in Cake touchdowns, take those away and its Clear that Galax steamrolls over the greenwave in this game, not mention that Galax STILL almost won the game....But Clintwood is the State Champions and much congradulations to them

too much info there for me to comment on everything but on the kickoff that Clintwood recovered- 3 Galax players looked at the ball on the ground and decided to go forward and block, then 1 maybe 2 other were waiting for the 1st three to turn around and fall on it, Clintwood had their heads in the game and jumped on the ball.

To start the game Clintwood had trouble running straight leads offtackle, by the end of the game they were running G/T Counters all the way across the formation and getting 8-11 yards a carry. Early in the game the Galax lines outplayed clintwoods, by the end of the game Galax's coach was throwing the ball not because of lack of time(all of the 4th quatrer) but because his linemen were done, they had nothing left.

On the 4th down play I can see why Mullins ran the sweep(it gives the ball carrier options, he can streach the D and pick the best opening) but I would have given the ball to Dotson and let him get a yard and then the game is basically over. Bad call but to me it wasnt rediculious. The only thing I can think of was Dotson appeared to be cramping in his calf and maybe wasnt 100%. He was also pretty gased(the kid goes wide open when he is on the field and thats hard to do all game at 235lbs)

I cant figure out why Clintwood didnt run the ball between the Guards in their first two possesions? Galax was stacked to stop the offtackle runs and Clintwood repeatedly ran right into them. FB dive or QB sneak would have gotten 6 yards a carry easy.

IMO there is no doubt that Galax is a more talented team than Clintwood and if it was an agility test, a track meet, or an obstacle course Galax would have won. But it wasnt, it was football and Clintwood was more physical and better conditioned than Galax and that is what won them the game.

best team won...that's it guys. Clintwood beat two #1 seeds (East and West) and a #2 seed over the past few weeks...there is nothing more you can say or argue about...you don't do that sort of thing unless you are the best...they did it.

enough said...

For those of you who can view a replay of the game, what about the next to the last play of the game where the QB got sacked and then threw it.

It was ruled an incomplete pass so the clock stopped. From my point of view it looked pretty clear his knee was down in which case the clock would have ran out and that last play wouldn't have even been ran.

My take on the game is this.....The more athletic kids lost, the best team won.

I was also questioning why Clintwood didnt run quick FB dives and traps between the guards as Galax was lined up basically with two 3 techniques and the MLB's playing 3-4 yards off the ball. Clintwood could have gained 3 YPG on QB sneaks. The more I watched though, Clintwood kept coming back to the FB counter after running the OFF tackle plays. Sometimes it's better to take advantage of things when needed, but not over do it to the point of getting the opposing coaches to get out of it. You want that advantage to be there when you need it the most. That play was there all night when Clintwood needed it most. The off tackle motion got the MLB's running out of the Middle which opened up the FB counter even more. Another thing....playing that front put alot of pressure on the Galax MLB's to stop the running game up the middle, which left the Middle of the field wide open on PA passes. The Clintwood playcalling worried me at first, but the more I watched, the more impressed I was.

BTW, the last pass into the endzone should have never happened so any argument of Pass Interference is irrelevant. The QBs knee was down for a sack on the previous play, but the ref's ruled it an incomplete pass. Galax was out of timeouts so the clock would have expired.

Edited by battleftbl

Exactly.

Galax gets two gifts handed to them with the bogus Pass Interference call on the 4th down play that kept their drive alive and then the QB pass was ruled incomplete when he was down to give them one last shot.

And some are looking for another Pass Interference call on the final play.

Ticks me off.

Exactly.

Galax gets two gifts handed to them with the bogus Pass Interference call on the 4th down play that kept their drive alive and then the QB pass was ruled incomplete when he was down to give them one last shot.

And some are looking for another Pass Interference call on the final play.

Ticks me off.

And if he was not down there was without a doubt no receiver within 20 yards of that throw