Krogers/Bluefield Beverage closing

http://www.wvva.com/story/16615248/kroger-closing-cumberland-road-store-bluefield-beverage

164 more people unemployed.

Bluefield, WV loses one of only two grocery stores in the city limits.

Our Mayor and City Manager continue to plant flowers and build water fountains...talk about fiddling while Rome burns...WTF!!!

I have several friends at both businesses who will either lose their jobs or be moved out of the area...

Guest The Variable
Wal-Mark had already wiped out the Kroger's in Blfd, VA and the two Food Lions in Blfd, VA and Blfd, WV a few years ago.

I wish a walmart would come here and wipe out the food lion in my area. Its the only grocery store within 20 miles and they act like they know that with the poorest service and selection imaginable. Prices suck too.

Walmart and Food-Lion killed Kroger's in Bluefield, VA...Wal-Mart and Food City killed Food-Lion...

The only grocery store left in Bluefield, WV is Food Stamp City, umm, I mean Grant's...

Guest The Variable
Walmart and Food-Lion killed Kroger's in Bluefield, VA...Wal-Mart and Food City killed Food-Lion...

The only grocery store left in Bluefield, WV is Food Stamp City, umm, I mean Grant's...

Wait, the ghetto cat killed a Kroger? WTF? I couldnt imagine Kroger going down to them.

Killed the Food Lion in Fairlawn this month too.

That Food Lion didn't need to be in Fairlawn in my opinion. The one right next to Cedar Valley in Radford is sufficient with Kroger's & Wal-Mart within a few miles of it.

Ever wonder why Bluefield, VA and Princeton, WV are growing, but the town right in the middle of either of them is going right down the toilet? It's not hard to see that a couple towns are promoting business and opening their doors to it while the other sits on its ass and does nothing.

The inability to provide a growing and prospering city hasn't only run the city into the ground, but it's running off all the people who want to work and make a living for themselves. Bluefield used to have tons of successful people and many good families who made a good community, but they have slowly left town for a little something called "opportunity." The beginning of the end started several years ago and now we're seeing it pick up even faster.

This town is going to Hell in a handbasket... McDowell County Part II.

Food City's prices are too high and that place always smells like aging seafood.....

I wish a walmart would come here and wipe out the food lion in my area. Its the only grocery store within 20 miles and they act like they know that with the poorest service and selection imaginable. Prices suck too.

Every Food Lion I have ever been in has had terrible customer service. We even have a Wal-Mart, Food City, and a Grants for competition, but the Food Lion here still blows. I have a feeling when the Food City goes in Doran/Richlands, that Food Lion will be forced out of business.

Walmart killed Food Country in Bristol a while back and now it's claimed Food Lion in Bristol. We're not hurting down here though, lol. We've still got 2 Food City's (one of them is building a huge new building to move into right across the street), a Kroger's (in Bristol and Abingdon), a Walmart on TN side, and some other places nearby.

Ever wonder why Bluefield, VA and Princeton, WV are growing, but the town right in the middle of either of them is going right down the toilet? It's not hard to see that a couple towns are promoting business and opening their doors to it while the other sits on its ass and does nothing.

The inability to provide a growing and prospering city hasn't only run the city into the ground, but it's running off all the people who want to work and make a living for themselves. Bluefield used to have tons of successful people and many good families who made a good community, but they have slowly left town for a little something called "opportunity." The beginning of the end started several years ago and now we're seeing it pick up even faster.

This town is going to Hell in a handbasket... McDowell County Part II.

You don't know how right you are. Bluefield, WV's population loss over the last 50 years is almost at the level of McDowell County. It's a damn shame, too. It's really not that hard for a town/city council to give a damn.

Every Food Lion I have ever been in has had terrible customer service. We even have a Wal-Mart, Food City, and a Grants for competition, but the Food Lion here still blows. I have a feeling when the Food City goes in Doran/Richlands, that Food Lion will be forced out of business.

Kroger's has always been ridiculously high, mostly because of the union. Good service, though.

Food Lions are awful in general.

Wal-Mark had already wiped out the Kroger's in Blfd, VA and the two Food Lions in Blfd, VA and Blfd, WV a few years ago.

Fact check: Food Lion left Bluefield years before Wally built the Super Center. Kroger closed Bluefield VA because it had the least traffic of the three stores they had within five miles.

Losing Bluefield Beverage will hurt not just in the lost jobs there, but also will impact Bluefield Transit, and our water and sewer bills since Bluefield Beverage is the largest water and sewer user.

Losing Bluefield Beverage will hurt not just in the lost jobs there, but also will impact Bluefield Transit, and our water and sewer bills since Bluefield Beverage is the largest water and sewer user.

So things truly are going down the shitter...

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Kroger's has always been ridiculously high, mostly because of the union. Good service, though.

Food Lions are awful in general.

I have to disagree with the Kroger remark. If you know how to shop at Kroger, you can get some crazy steals. I have saved over 200 dollars this year, and on my last receipt it said I saved 46.49, when I only spent 50.04. The same haul at Walmart would have easily been over a 100 bucks.

Guest The Variable
I have to disagree with the Kroger remark. If you know how to shop at Kroger, you can get some crazy steals. I have saved over 200 dollars this year, and on my last receipt it said I saved 46.49, when I only spent 50.04. The same haul at Walmart would have easily been over a 100 bucks.

Agreed, Stoney. Kroger offers better price cuts than Walmart which maintains a baseline with no specials. Ive spent less at Kroger, much less, than at Walmart on occasions. You just have to plan when you are going as the specials cycle throughout the weeks.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Agreed, Stoney. Kroger offers better price cuts than Walmart which maintains a baseline with no specials. Ive spent less at Kroger, much less, than at Walmart on occasions. You just have to plan when you are going as the specials cycle throughout the weeks.

Not to mention when you can get managers specials. They had a special today for grilling essentials chicken breasts at Walmart with samples and everything. Sale price - 3.49. Kroger had them on managers special for 1.99 and had a .55 cent coupon attached. Final cost, 1.44.

Last week I got 8 oz. Kraft mexican cheese for 38 cents a bag with managers special and a coupon.

Stocked up for tailgating and the Greenbrier Classic with Ball park franks for .99 cents a pack, and Johnsonville brats at .99 cents a pack as well.

20 bucks yesterday got me 2 whole chickens, a block of 24 oz. cheese, 2 jimmy dean sausage crumbles (regular 3.99, Kroger on sale at 2/6, I paid 1.79), 3 grilling essentials chicken breast packages, a pound of the 7.99 kroger sugar cured bacon, and 3 packs of Johnsonville Stadium brats.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg honestly, I won't tell you the deals I get on sashimi grade tuna down here in Blacksburg :).

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Oh and my favorite deal of all, Naked juice, retail 3.47, sale 1.49 when you buy 10. I bought 20 lol.

Kroger is the place to shop IF you pay attention.

With utmost respect, there's a difference between "thrifty shopping" and "overall, this store's prices are lower than store X". You've made three separate posts to this effect, but that doesn't make you triply right. I admire and applaud your thriftiness, and agree that Kroger has some good deals on items at times. As for me, I never, ever buy all my groceries at one store. I clip the coupons, study which store has the best deals on Item X, and plan accordingly. I do, however, find myself spending less time in Kroger when I'm here in SWVA than in Food City, Grant's, and Wal-Mart. I exclude Food Lion, because I can count the times they've beaten out the other 4 stores on one hand.

I'm just going off what my fiancee told me about Kroger, where she worked as an assistant manager (co-mangers, they called them) for a time. Though she worked in Lynchburg, she did comment (after she left the company) that Kroger routinely got hammered in price surveys. And though I'd only shopped at the two in Bluefield, VA and Bluefield, WV, I always found them high on non-sale items.

Edited by UVAObserver

Thanks for confirming my point so strongly.

Notice the phrase: "price cuts". This implies that the prices were higher to begin with. Notice the examples that Stoney uses are outlying examples where the prices are slashed by 70%+. After that sale's over, those prices are going right back up to pre-sale totals. If you're using a baseline, in terms of the 5 stores in the area (Wal-Mart, Food City, Grant's, Kroger's, Food Lion), Kroger's is consistently worse than everyone except Food Lion.

As you say, you have to plan. When I plan, I research it, and this is what I find. I wouldn't be fighting so hard otherwise.

Edited by UVAObserver