The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Add $17 million to that. 5-year $62 million through 2015.

when did that happen? good god. Last I heard it was $45 million...or maybe that was just the remainder of what they owed him left on his contract...that's even worse than I thought.

Word this morning is that Bourn is asking for $100 million, which is absurd. He's an outstanding player, but not worth that especially for a player approaching 30 years old. The Braves will need to go another direction if that's the case, but unfortunately there is a huge drop-off with regard to the other directions they could go. Another frustrating off-season for the Braves faithful...

Ive been working on the ideas of Prado moving to 3rd as well, but I wouldnt mind seeing Francisco stay at 3B if his fielding is improved. The other option is making a move for Youkilis. Not sure what it would take, but he's such a gamer and would fit right into that lineup. As an option for covering ground in center, a cheap option trade wise might be for that nutcase Nyjer Morgan since Milwaukee optioned him to the PCL. Put Simmons leading off and Morgan in the 7 or 8 hole. Hes not near the bat Bourn is, but could be very Otis Nixon like in CF.

Word this morning is that Bourn is asking for $100 million, which is absurd. He's an outstanding player, but not worth that especially for a player approaching 30 years old. The Braves will need to go another direction if that's the case, but unfortunately there is a huge drop-off with regard to the other directions they could go. Another frustrating off-season for the Braves faithful...

I disagree. This could be the best off-season the Braves have had in a long time. They haven't had this much money to spend ($25-30 million) in years. AND they only have two major spots to fill. They will be able to get a capable CF who can lead off and a RH power hitter for either LF or 3B. Beyond that they need to strengthen the bench and find a catcher to back up Ross until McCann comes back. That's the smallest list of needs they've had in a very long time.

I think they will sign Nick Swisher to play left field and sign victorino to play center and prado moves to third base......... I also have heard a rumor but probably wont happen the braves are offering tommy hanson and julio teheran to the royals for Mike Moustakas which plays third base so if that happens then who knows

no way i'd sign a 30 year old to a long term high dollar contract....32 is the sweet spot where hitters start to really cool off for the most part. You get a few who remain productive but its a big risk. From that point on it's a ticking bomb, just look at A-Rod...all the talk of the HR record and in one year he's gone from record breaker potential to DH or retire talk lol.

I don't know who the answer is...do they have anyone down on the farm that looks good for the future they might bring up this year?

I think they will sign Nick Swisher to play left field and sign victorino to play center and prado moves to third base......... I also have heard a rumor but probably wont happen the braves are offering tommy hanson and julio teheran to the royals for Mike Moustakas which plays third base so if that happens then who knows

I'd like to see the Braves sign Victorino honestly. He's coming off one of his career worst seasons but if you look at the stats they are still productive. Productive enough to suffice if Prado, Freeman, McCann, Heyward, and Uggla all stay healthy and produce.

I like Swisher too but another option would be to sign Victorino as a LF and go after BJ Upton in center. He's young and talented and might just need a change of scenery to turn out his potential.

I think we can get out of this offseason without letting go of any pitching. Then we can hold to them as trade bait if/when we need it when the regular season rolls around.

no way i'd sign a 30 year old to a long term high dollar contract....32 is the sweet spot where hitters start to really cool off for the most part. You get a few who remain productive but its a big risk. From that point on it's a ticking bomb, just look at A-Rod...all the talk of the HR record and in one year he's gone from record breaker potential to DH or retire talk lol.

I don't know who the answer is...do they have anyone down on the farm that looks good for the future they might bring up this year?

ATL has no position players in the minor league system close to be ready for the majors. Any additions must come via free-agency or trade. We have some big-time young pitchers and I have been against trading them away, but now might be the time to re-consider that option. As long as they get a value back and not a one year rental of a past-his-prime player.

• 2 weeks later...