Tebow bill killed

VHSLhelper

glad it was voted down also. just doesnt seem right for a number of reasons. One major thing would be that the schools would not recieve that state funding that they get for every other STUDENT-athlete thus forcing athletic budgets to come up with more money that most don't have.

Am I the only one that reads this thread as "Tebow killed"?

There are arguments for and against this bill. The strongest for is that home-schooling families still pay taxes for public schools, thus having the right to participate in it to some degree. The argument against is that home-schooled kids are not held to the same standard that kids in public school are, and should not participate as they are not parts of that student body.

I come down on the side of not letting them play, but reasonable minds can differ.

I strongly support a voucher program and I am a supporter of homeschooling. However, I cannot support allowing homeschooled athletes to participate in public school sports. It's sort of like saying, I want the toppings but not the whole pizza.

The Tebow Bill getting cut down is great news for HS athletics in my opinion!

I cannot support allowing homeschooled athletes to participate in public school sports. It's sort of like saying, I want the toppings but not the whole pizza.

The Tebow Bill getting cut down is great news for HS athletics in my opinion!

Couldn't have said it much better.

Couldn't have said it much better.

While this particular bill may not have language regarding eligibility requirements that place both homeschooled and public schooled children on a level playing field (nice pun), I don't agree that a student should have to sacrifice scholastic athletics just because of home schooling. If the parents of both homeschooled and public school athletes are paying the same taxes, they should reap the same extracurricular benefit. I wonder who is being harmed when statistically (SAT scores, etc.) society actually benefits by a greater number of students being homeschooled.

Edited by parsons

I feel that when children grow up they will have to be able to cooperate with each other and they best figure out how to do that asap. I am against home scholing because ino it doesent make society better, it devides it. Just my opnion and I definately see where you are comming from parsons.

As far as the "tebow bill", I dont think it is right for a parent to be able to pick and choose what aspects of public school their child can/should be involved in. Take it all or leave it all. If you want them to play organized sports then sign them up for AAU. jmo

I support HOMESCHOOLING 100% and I am a public educator. I also support voucher programs. But, allowing folks to pick and choose what portion of public education that they want for their child is detrimental to the system.

What are we going to do next, allow homeschool students to piece meal their education? Take two courses at home and PE and Biology at the high school?

All or nothing, is my personal opinion. But, keep in mind I am in favor of Vouchers to offset those who say that they are paying taxes and should gain public school benefits.

I would also like to add this, a huuuuge overwhelming portion of tax $$$ that goes into public education is spent on EDUCATION. Not on athletics, most athletic funds are raised through athletic programs. I know that this is shaving hairs, but just thought that it is important to note.

I also find it interesting that these same folks who are in favor of this have yet to appeal to the state to allow them to use public school textbooks, materials and technology. Why sports instead of the more important issues?

While this particular bill may not have language regarding eligibility requirements that place both homeschooled and public schooled children on a level playing field (nice pun), I don't agree that a student should have to sacrifice scholastic athletics just because of homeschooling. If the parents of both homeschooled and public school athletes are paying the same taxes, they should reap the same extracurricular benefit. I wonder who is being harmed when statistically (SAT scores, etc.) society actually benefits by a greater number of students being homeschooled.

I have to quit trying to post when I really don't have time..... I come back to edit and I can't understand half of what I've written. It reads a little better now...

I'm sure home schooling works for those who choose that route, my kids go to public school and so did I. I believe it would be an issue allowing home schooled kids to participate in high school sporting programs. It would open exit doors for kids already in public schools, for example if a student and parents are upset because of a in school issue and the kid played sports they could just walk and still play on the Team. Just my opinion.

I would also like to add this, a huuuuge overwhelming portion of tax $$$ that goes into public education is spent on EDUCATION. Not on athletics, most athletic funds are raised through athletic programs. I know that this is shaving hairs, but just thought that it is important to note.

Good point

Good point

Not at all, actually, and it undermines his entire argument. The point is that the parents who home-school subsidize the system just as much as parents who send their children to public school. The amounts are wholly irrelevant in the discussion here. Heck, stretching that out to its logical extreme, parents who home-school and play the lottery have a STRONGER argument for their children to play football than do parents who send children to public school, because Virginia's lottery goes wholly toward education. So said home-schooling parents pay more into the system.

BucFan's post is little more than a red herring to the heart of the matter.

Not at all, actually, and it undermines his entire argument. The point is that the parents who home-school subsidize the system just as much as parents who send their children to public school. The amounts are wholly irrelevant in the discussion here. Heck, stretching that out to its logical extreme, parents who home-school and play the lottery have a STRONGER argument for their children to play football than do parents who send children to public school, because Virginia's lottery goes wholly toward education. So said home-schooling parents pay more into the system.

BucFan's post is little more than a red herring to the heart of the matter.

I completly disagree.

His point is very little of the tax money that goes to the schools actually goes to athletic programs, so the arguement "I pay my taxes so my kids should get to play on public school teams" simply doesent hold water. That money doesent support the teams. As ive stated before the parents have opted out of public school for their children and im fine w/ that, its not the decision I would make but its their choice.

Maybe you could explain why the taxes part of his arguement undermines the rest of the arguement? Because I dont see how it does.

I dont know if you have a beef w/ bucfan64 or not,but were having a discussion and frankly I dont like you insulting him or anyone else just because you think youre right. I dont really want to argue with anyone on here but could you try not to be a jackass to everyone that disagrees with you.

Edited by redtiger