New Conference Proposal

Jason

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football will use the playoff format that Group A used this year. 32 teams advance to postseason play 16 in each of the two sections divided across the state, then the final two from the sectional playoffs go on to State. These conferences are for the first level of postseason play for the other sports outside of football. At the end of the regular season (or after district tournaments if a district chooses to still have one) then each team advances to a conference tournament in their designated conference as listed in the first post. The two finalists from the conference tournament go on to Regional tournaments, then its on to State.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-march-presentation-2012.pdf

Edited by Beamerball

Better than Grundy to Grayson Co.; or Lee to Grayson though.

I dunno...the trip to Lee from Grundy (or vice versa) through Big Stone Gap in the winter could be brutal.

This is probably a trial run for those opposed to the mixed district concept. In single A and AA this plan would benefit certain schools and groupings of schools in an obvious fashion- can pretty much guess who would push it. Makes no sense at all.

This is probably a trial run for those opposed to the mixed district concept. In single A and AA this plan would benefit certain schools and groupings of schools in an obvious fashion- can pretty much guess who would push it. Makes no sense at all.

The conferences are for the post season in sports other than football. This doesn't change the proposed districts.

The conferences are for the post season in sports other than football. This doesn't change the proposed districts.

so.... I'm guessing they'll be playing for a conference championship or something....

Wooo hooo we're Conference 39 champs!!!.....big deal...

so.... I'm guessing they'll be playing for a conference championship or something....

Wooo hooo we're Conference 39 champs!!!.....big deal...

The conference tournaments are the first round of the (non-football) playoffs... See Beamerball's post above. The conference tournament determines seeding for the region tournament, which determines seeding for the state tournament.

The conference tournaments are the first round of the (non-football) playoffs... See Beamerball's post above. The conference tournament determines seeding for the region tournament, which determines seeding for the state tournament.

so you could still see the Grundy - Lee trip in the winter for basketball.

so you could still see the Grundy - Lee trip in the winter for basketball.

The conference tournaments are "all-in" so you could definitely see that matchup. I have no idea where the early round games would be played (@ higher seed in the current setup) but yeah, I'd say there is a pretty good chance of making that trip.

After regular season play ends teams advance on to the conference tournament. A point system will be in place to help determine seeding for the conference tournament and I think district play finish will factor in with it too. The two conference championship representatives move on to Regional tournament (2 Regions in each class with 4 conferences in each Region), then the two finalists from the Region tournament go on to the State final four. I think I have all that right, haha.

I know Lee has to go somewhere and that's probably the most logical place, but that just makes me nervous. It probably wont be an issue, but it could be.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

It will be the same for the Grundy-Union and Grundy-Central trips though too. Got to through the same route. Once you make it to Big Stone, the rest of the trip isn't as bad on to Lee. Its that stretch through Wise over Indian Mountain and from Wise to Powell Valley mountain just before you get down into Big Stone that can get rough more often.

Edited by Beamerball

I see... thanks.

Just hold the Conference 40 games at UVA-W. I know alot of people dont like that but it solves alot of the travel issues, espicially if this holds up.

Overall I like it but I still say that the district tournaments need to be eliminated; from the end of the regular season straight into conference play.

Use the BDD as an example; all of the teams play each other twice during the regular season, then the district tournament, and finally Grundy goes off to their conference while the BDD teams gear up to play each other again in conference play. It just seems like overkill to me. I know all districts and conferences arent like that but I just see that repetition as a major flaw.

And move Clintwood to Conference 47

Edited by redtiger

Just hold the Conference 40 games at UVA-W. I know alot of people dont like that but it solves travel issues, espicially if this holds up.

Overall I like it but I still say that the district tournaments need to be eliminated; from the end of the regular season straight into conference play.

Yeah... seems like a lot of tournament play......districts....conferences....states....

That is right. When I first saw it I thought it was a new district lineup.

Richland, Marion, Tazewell, Graham, and Grayson will be Conference 39.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-conferences-model.pdf

Looks like someone drew up these conferences without looking at a map.

Marion and Grayson with the 3 SWVA schools? What?!

It does beat leaving Graham out in the MED for all sports, though.

Edited by UVAObserver

It will be the same for the Grundy-Union and Grundy-Central trips though too. Got to through the same route. Once you make it to Big Stone, the rest of the trip isn't as bad on to Lee. Its that stretch through Wise over Indian Mountain and from Wise to Powell Valley mountain just before you get down into Big Stone that can get rough more often.

makes sense...i have not been to Union or Central yet, so I'm not sure where exactly they are located.