New Disrict

swvacsas2

The Region D principals at a meeting last Thursday recommended creation of a new district consisting of Union, Central, Lee, and Lebanon. They also requested that Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion be placed in Region C. Burton would go to the Cumberland. The Black Diamond has invited Clintwood to join. I can't see the state putting any more schools in Region C- would create too much imbalance in the regions .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Region D principals at a meeting last Thursday recommended creation of a new district consisting of Union, Central, Lee, and Lebanon. They also requested that Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion be placed in Region C. Burton would go to the Cumberland. The Black Diamond has invited Clintwood to join. I can't see the state putting any more schools in Region C- would create too much imbalance in the regions .

VHSL should just assign schools to districts as they see fit and use some sense in doing so...all this political stuff with the principals is hogwash.

Under the new plan, there won't be any Regions, so how can these "Regions" say who is "in" and who "isn't". You will still have Districts...with varying classifications. You will have Conferences...of the same classification. And you will have Sections (East and West) within each classification.

Regions "C", "D", and "IV" will no longer exist...

Marion is still trying to go to the Hogoheegee.....we'll see how it all ends up.

Don't look for that to happen. The Hogo don't want them. They are two to three times bigger than most schools in the district. The R and R has already said no so let Marion play in a district with schools their size and classification. Enough said!

Under the new plan, there won't be any Regions, so how can these "Regions" say who is "in" and who "isn't". You will still have Districts...with varying classifications. You will have Conferences...of the same classification. And you will have Sections (East and West) within each classification.

Regions "C", "D", and "IV" will no longer exist...

I was under the impression that they would still exist in sports other than football (or am I THAT far out of the loop

I was under the impression that they would still exist in sports other than football (or am I THAT far out of the loop

THE LOOP...............................................................................counts

That district makes some sense. The Wise Co schools want a district more local to them(like the LPD) and Lebanon doesent want to be in the same district as the Tazewell Co schools. Clintwood in the BDD makes sense.

Edited by redtiger

THE LOOP...............................................................................counts

That district makes some sense. The Wise Co schools want a district more local to them(like the LPD) and Lebanon doesent want to be in the same district as the Tazewell Co schools. Clintwood in the BDD makes sense.

Why does Lebanon not want to be in a district with the Tazewell Co schools?

Lebanon wanting to avoid the Tazewell Co schools is just my assumption. I know they do/have played Richlands, Tazewell and Graham but it seems like they really try to avoid being the same district as those schools. IMO Lebanon is more of a large small school rather than a small big school(if that makes sense).

Don't look for that to happen. The Hogo don't want them. They are two to three times bigger than most schools in the district. The R and R has already said no so let Marion play in a district with schools their size and classification. Enough said!

Doesn't matter what the other schools say....Marion has applied for travel hardship and in these times with the budget crunches....if the state doesn't allow it, then they suck. I don't see why any of the HOGO teams would oppose the move....with the change in playoff format, it would only benefit those schools to play or beat a larger school....it baffles me. Most of these schools already play Marion anyway....I don't understand their position.

Edited by futbolking

Doesn't matter what the other schools say....Marion has applied for travel hardship and in these times with the budget crunches....if the state doesn't allow it, then they suck. I don't see why any of the HOGO teams would oppose the move....with the change in playoff format, it would only benefit those schools to play or beat a larger school....it baffles me. Most of these schools already play Marion anyway....I don't understand their position.

Agreed.

Rephrase that, some of the hogo doesn`t want them. Chilhowie and GW are fine with it.

Marion going to Hogo makes sense form a travel standpoint and that is suppose to be a part of the equation. They are much larger than the schools in the Hogo but do play in most sports. It would not be that big of a change.

T he way the point system is set up it does not help playing larger schools. Example if northwood plays Marion as usual in the next cycle and loses and lets say Marion goes 6-4 they would receive 6 points for losing the game plus 6 points for each game they won for a total of 12 points. Now compare that to Twin Valley in which they beat. They would receive 17 points for the win and since TV won 2 games they would 4 more points for a total of 21 points. The format does not reward teams for playing up like the old format. So why would Northwood want to play Marion? even playing a team that did not win many is better than losing to a bigger school. This is the correct formula look VHSL website and go under rr football rating minutes from February.

So why would Northwood want to play Marion?

A few off the top of my head...

1. They would want to play them because they would welcome the challenge

2. They would want their program to get better by playing good competition.

3. It is a rivalry game (same county, brings a good gate)

4. Everybody and their little sister will make the playoffs, anyway.

5. 30 minute bus trip.

Edited by futbolking

A few off the top of my head...

1. They would want to play them because they would welcome the challenge

2. They would want their program to get better by playing good competition.

3. It is a rivalry game (same county, brings a good gate)

4. Everybody and their little sister will make the playoffs, anyway.

5. 30 minute bus trip.

Sounds to me like reasons why Marion should want to continue playing schools they have played for the last 30 years. Like Tazewell, Abingdon, Gate City, Va. High, John Battle, Richlands, Lebanon. Marion can reach these schools within a hour and they all are about the same size. So travel is not an issue. Besides, you don't hear them whining and wanting to play schools 2 or 3 times smaller.

Lebanon wanting to avoid the Tazewell Co schools is just my assumption. I know they do/have played Richlands, Tazewell and Graham but it seems like they really try to avoid being the same district as those schools. IMO Lebanon is more of a large small school rather than a small big school(if that makes sense).

From my understanding after talking with a Lebanon guy in the know, they are not trying to avoid the Tazewell County schools. They want to stay where they are.

Sounds to me like reasons why Marion should want to continue playing schools they have played for the last 30 years. Like Tazewell, Abingdon, Gate City, Va. High, John Battle, Richlands, Lebanon. Marion can reach these schools within a hour and they all are about the same size. So travel is not an issue. Besides, you don't hear them whining and wanting to play schools 2 or 3 times smaller.

The sole reason that Marion wants to move to the HOGO is for travel reasons.....an hour travel time versus 30 minute travel time IS an issue...when gas is $4.00 a gallon and going up on a fixed budget...

They're not trying to get an unfair competitive advantage in sports...it's all about $$$....They would like to be able to afford to keep all of their athletic teams...and not be forced to travel greater distances by the state.

Edited by futbolking

Really? Marion is not a huge school....less than 700 students now...Does it really make that much of a difference....we're talking a D-2 school when the re-alignment takes place. It's not like T.C. Williams wants to join the district or something....this is Marion we're talking about.....they'll fit right in and probably in the middle of the pack in most sports, most of the time.....

Let's be realistic...none of these schools have a lot of D-1 athletes roaming around on the sidelines...the same # of kids will be on the field / court in sports...and all the schools basically have the same demographics.

And I do believe there IS a big difference in an hour and a half drive to Tazewell and a half hour drive to George Wythe....when gas costs $4.00 a gallon and going up with no end in sight....

Edited by futbolking

You wanna tell me the way from Richlands to Marion that only takes an hour??