Abingdon Football

eagles99trd

(NOTE: I do not wish to turn this into hate fest of Abingdon)

Just glancing at their records year in and year out, what seems to be the issues?

Player buy in? Weight room problems? Coaching staff? Parents? Administration??

Again, I do not wish for this to be turned into just a joke about how everyone hates Abingdon and don't turn it into a hate fest on the few Abingdon guys that post religiously on here with their very biases opinions.

Just really curious about the school. Thanks

This is what I've been wondering too. I know they don't have the small-town, gritty football tradition that teams like Clintwood, GC, and others have, but it seems like they should be better than what they are. From all the things I've heard over the years, I think all those reasons you suggested might be right.

Fom what ive seen(and thas not alot) general football toughness ismissing. No grit.

We schrimmaged them one year at Holston when I was in HS and they were talented(had some size on the line) but were soft. Always reminded me of Pound; talented with good size, just soft

Abingdon is too damn political...everything about the school is political...until they clean out the front office and get a coach that can win, and they get some kids fired up about the program and not the halftime show or Enter Sandman...you are going to get what you've been getting.

They've had a chance to get a good coach in the past and failed to do so...I honestly don't think they want to win anything other than a band trophy...which, sucks for the kids that want to play football.

Only place in the area that can give Tazewell a run for it's money as "worst place to coach"...but, Tazewell still holds that honor...for now.

Abingdon is too damn political...everything about the school is political...until they clean out the front office and get a coach that can win, and they get some kids fired up about the program and not the halftime show or Enter Sandman...you are going to get what you've been getting.

They've had a chance to get a good coach in the past and failed to do so...I honestly don't think they want to win anything other than a band trophy...which, sucks for the kids that want to play football.

Only place in the area that can give Tazewell a run for it's money as "worst place to coach"...but, Tazewell still holds that honor...for now.

One thing I noticed in particular last year was as bad as we were and the uncertainty in our team going to Abingdon cold and raining, we had as many fans show up as Abingdon did. It seems like their is no community pride over them. Look at any town around here you see bulldogs, tornadoes, and g-stars displayed at businesses and everywhere. As many times as I have been through Abingdon, you just don't see that there.

One thing I noticed in particular last year was as bad as we were and the uncertainty in our team going to Abingdon cold and raining, we had as many fans show up as Abingdon did. It seems like their is no community pride over them. Look at any town around here you see bulldogs, tornadoes, and g-stars displayed at businesses and everywhere. As many times as I have been through Abingdon, you just don't see that there.

The fan support (or lack thereof) is something I noticed last season when Battle played them. We were at their field and we had just as many fans as they did (though we are close by and were excited about a chance to win with our new coach/team). But when the game was near the end and got the most exciting and intense (especially when it went into overtime and we had a chance to win it) literally half of Abingdon's fans just got up and left the stadium. It's like they just gave up since the score was so close and went home, missing the final plays where THEY WON. Just doesn't seem like they have that much pride in their program.

You've obviously never been to Charlottesville, and last I checked, Abingdon didn't go to the Peach Bowl last year.

Whatever. In the last five years UVA has won 46.7% of their games... Abingdon has won 46.1%. They're practically equals.

Whatever. In the last five years UVA has won 46.7% of their games... Abingdon has won 46.1%. They're practically equals.

Abingdon plays in the weakest AA conference in the entire state of Virginia and has the largest enrollment of any school west of the New River that isn't a county-combo school. The University of Virginia plays in the 5th-toughest of 11 FBS conferences, and is on an equal playing field with its peers. Abingdon is a high school, UVA is a major university.

But whatever. Color me shocked that the turkeys would find it amusing.

It's an bad comparison no matter how you slice it. If Abingdon reminds you in any way of Charlottesville other than a terrible football comparison, then you need to climb out from underneath your orange-and-maroon painted rock and make the trek up there to see for yourself.

Edited by UVAObserver

Abingdon plays in the weakest AA conference in the entire state of Virginia and has the largest enrollment of any school west of the New River that isn't a county-combo school. The University of Virginia plays in the 5th-toughest of 11 FBS conferences, and is on an equal playing field with its peers. Abingdon is a high school, UVA is a major university.

But whatever. Color me shocked that the turkeys would find it amusing.

It's an bad comparison no matter how you slice it. If Abingdon reminds you in any way of Charlottesville other than a terrible football comparison, then you need to climb out from underneath your orange-and-maroon painted rock and make the trek up there to see for yourself.

It's also a joke, brother.

Relax.

lived in falcon land for 3 years... not far from shoneys, had a camper and jet skis at washington co. park.. moved back home....at least most of us here in dickenson county, live below the clouds........if you know what i mean..........................................:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, here's the answer to your question. I will remain anonymous out of necessity. Some of you know who I am, and that's fine...because I know you agree with me. Abingdon football....wow, here goes. First, I will state the obvious...politics. If you have pull of any sort (which translates to "money") your kid will play. Plain and simple. The boosters of AHS will (and have) played the "I will not financially support the team" card if their kid doesn't get to play. I know this first hand. Probably happens other places as well.

Next, lets move on to coaches/staff. The coaches at Abingdon are totally against kids playing multiple sports, as well as the AD because he coaches basketball. This completely befuddles me because if a kid plays multiple sports wouldn't one think that would help the kid in a number of ways? Stay in shape, increase awareness, sharpen the saw..so to speak? Regardless of what they may say publicly they all hate it. Period. It also befuddles me because whatever sport that they are coaching hasn't done above mediocre, record wise, in a few years.

In that same coaching/staff vein, lets look at the coach(es). I mean no disrespect to the HC...good man, just lost his wife....but its very had to play a spread O when your fastest kid runs a 4.9 40. I made that time up....don't know how fast their fastest kid was 2 seasons ago...but whatever his time was, he was light speed ahead of the next fastest kid. They just didn't have the players to run the spread...year after year after year after year.....until this past year when they suddenly switched to a pro set and expected the kids to grasp it immediately. They did better in that set, no doubt...but it will take some time. Assistants were reluctant to make the switch because they were going to have to actually work with the kids....no more, "hey, go out there and run some plays" coaching. It required hands on. Crazy, I know.

Lastly, the parents and the community as whole are more worried about how they are perceived by others. No business in downtown Abingdon will put up a banner on their front glass that says "Go Falcons"....that is peasant stuff...the stuff they sell in their store is way to gourmet, posh, whatever word you want to use....and if they put up something like that, well their neighbors would think less of them...as well as their patrons. These are the real reasons why AHS has struggled to do well on the field. There are other reasons, but these, to me, are the basis. Until AHS gets a community behind their team, a staff that cares about the kids more than themselves, and administration with enough nads to make soem changes, they will continue to dwell in mediocrity.

Edited for those with ADD and those of you who obviously have mother issues....wow.

Edited by BigO

Alright, here's the answer to your question. I will remain anonymous out of necessity. Some of you know who I am, and that's fine...because I know you agree with me. Abingdon football....wow, here goes. First, I will state the obvious...politics. If you have pull of any sort (which translates to "money") your kid will play. Plain and simple. The boosters of AHS will (and have) played the "I will not financially support the team" card if their kid doesn't get to play. I know this first hand. Probably happens other places as well. Next, lets move on to coaches/staff. The coaches at Abingdon are totally against kids playing multiple sports, as well as the AD because he coaches basketball. This completely befuddles me because if a kid plays multiple sports wouldn't one think that would help the kid in a number of ways? Stay in shape, increase awareness, sharpen the saw..so to speak? Regardless of what they may say publicly they all hate it. Period. It also befuddles me because whatever sport that they are coaching hasn't done above mediocre, record wise, in a few years. In that same coaching/staff vein, lets look at the coach(es). I mean no disrespect to the HC...good man, just lost his wife....but its very had to play a spread O when your fastest kid runs a 4.9 40. I made that time up....don't know how fast their fastest kid was 2 seasons ago...but whatever his time was, he was light speed ahead of the next fastest kid. They just didn't have the players to run the spread...year after year after year after year.....until this past year when they suddenly switched to a pro set and expected the kids to grasp it immediately. They did better in that set, no doubt...but it will take some time. Assistants were reluctant to make the switch because they were going to have to actually work with the kids....no more, "hey, go out there and run some plays" coaching. It required hands on. Crazy, I know. Lastly, the parents and the community as whole are more worried about how they are perceived by others. No business in downtown Abingdon will put up a banner on their front glass that says "Go Falcons"....that is peasant stuff...the stuff they sell in their store is way to gourmet, posh, whatever word you want to use....and if they put up something like that, well their neighbors would think less of them...as well as their patrons. These are the real reasons why AHS has struggled to do well on the field. There are other reasons, but these, to me, are the basis. Until AHS gets a community behind their team, a staff that cares about the kids more than themselves, and administration with enough nads to make soem changes, they will continue to dwell in mediocrity.

Ever heard of paragraphs????

Ever heard of paragraphs????

Really? I type all that and you come up with "ever heard of paragraphs"?

My sincerest apology.

I will try and do better next time.

I hope you can read this better.

Have a nice day.

Really? I type all that and you come up with "ever heard of paragraphs"?

My sincerest apology.

I will try and do better next time.

I hope you can read this better.

Have a nice day.

I personally read this forum while doing hundreds of other things. Whether I'm pimpin' some sweet cutie, pwnin' some noob on XBox, Skyping your mom (naked), watching reruns of the UVA-VT football game (naked), sipping a cocktail, or plotting the demise of Abingdon - I like to read posts that are quick and to the point.

I prefer a picture (GIF animated image especially) or bullet points to funnel the information directly into my brain without much effort in reading through a jumbled mess of streamlined thought.

One second I'm reading some sentence about Abingdon politics - I look away for one second because this lady's kid I'm macking on is trying to stick his thumb in my beer, I swat him away and look back to the screen - damn, I can't find my place! Where was I? Forget it! I'm moving on!

I don't know how you peruse the forums, but for myself, Lance, and GMan you're going to have to break it up into compartmentalized sections of intelligent thought.