best game over the years

Tigers_07

i know another high school football season is in a couple of months, but i got one question for everyone. out of all the games you have went to, which game(s) was the best in your mind. (upsets count too).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know another high school football season is in a couple of months, but i got one question for everyone. out of all the games you have went to, which game(s) was the best in your mind. (upsets count too).

1981 Graham-Tazewell Snow Ball

Eddie Neel to Lee Grimes 89 yd td pass to win game and Region IV title

My favorite Grundy games over the years:

(1) 28-0 over Tazewell on Halloween night in 1987...brutal game.

(2) "The two minute drill"-Tommy Crigger pulls off a miracle.

(3) Grundy at Fieldale-Collinsville upset...all you heard was how much speed FC had and how they had these "track stars" that would run all over Grundy...we hung 20+ points on them in the first quarter and they never knew what hit them...was the last game that FC ever played.

(4) Grundy vs. Salem at Tazewell...foot of water on the field and a downpour for most of the game so hard you couldn't see the other side of the field...Grundy lost a heartbreaker, but if you didn't see the game you wouldn't understand how bad it really was. Ironically the game was moved from Grundy to Tazewell in the first place due to field conditions.

(5) Grundy beats Graham in '04 to win the Region IV championship...man it was cold.

Guest king kone

1970 something Richlands/Tazewell Flood Bowl....I remember seeing pieces of 2x4 floating by in front of the bleachers....Tim Tebow/Nease beating Aquinas for the state title....

i think the Grundy region championship game your looking for lance was in 02. Snowed for most of the game and Graham drove down for the tie with about 30 sec left and dropped the tying TD in the endzone on 4th down.

My favorite Grundy games over the years:

(1) 28-0 over Tazewell on Halloween night in 1987...brutal game.

(2) "The two minute drill"-Tommy Crigger pulls off a miracle.

(3) Grundy at Fieldale-Collinsville upset...all you heard was how much speed FC had and how they had these "track stars" that would run all over Grundy...we hung 20+ points on them in the first quarter and they never knew what hit them...was the last game that FC ever played.

(4) Grundy vs. Salem at Tazewell...foot of water on the field and a downpour for most of the game so hard you couldn't see the other side of the field...Grundy lost a heartbreaker, but if you didn't see the game you wouldn't understand how bad it really was. Ironically the game was moved from Grundy to Tazewell in the first place due to field conditions.

(5) Grundy beats Graham in '04 to win the Region IV championship...man it was cold.

GWave beat me to that one. I can confirm, was '02.

i think the Grundy region championship game your looking for lance was in 02. Snowed for most of the game and Graham drove down for the tie with about 30 sec left and dropped the tying TD in the endzone on 4th down.

The last game my senior year. Perfect conditions for Grundy, too, a team that wasn't even close to being as fast as Graham, but had a noticeable size and strength advantage. Four yards and a cloud of snow.

Edited by UVAObserver

sorry...type-o...'04 was the Va High 6-0 OT loss fiasco...

4 yards and a cloud of snow...plus a 96 yard INT pick 6 by 9th grader Garon Marcum.

I think that was Bradshaw's last game at Graham also...or no?

2006 Richlands beats Rockbridge for the State Championship!

1992 Richlands beats Orange for State Championship!

1992 Richlands beats Salem in State Semi's.

2005 Richlands beats Liberty 22-20 in State Semi's.

2002 & 2003 vs Graham, Graham won both games, but Richlands kept scoring with those Graham teams to keep em close, but Ahmad Bradshaw was just too good. Richlands could have had 13 on Defense, and couldn't stop Bradshaw.

1992 vs Marion. Richlands kept the unbeaten streak going, but it was tough, Richlands took the game to OT in a pouring rain, Richlands won i think 38-35.

2007 Region 4 Title Game

Richlands at Tazewell Richlands wins in overtime 28 to 27... The day before the game we got a snow and ice storm, state department used their trucks to scrape the field!!!!

Beating Gate City back in 1979 was a big deal for Richlands, and probably ranks somewhere on the all-time list for the program. The 31-28 outcome ensured that we'd finish no lower than .500 for the first time in a while and it really scrambled the district title race. (If I'm not mistaken, this outcome helped propel Grundy into the playoffs that year.)

Three weeks before that, the Blues beat John Battle in a defensive slugfest by a score of 3 to 0. But I may be the only person on God's green earth who actually enjoyed that game.

Admitting my bias as a fan of defense, I'll give a nod to the Blues' 7-0 victory over Gate City in 1987 as well. That one ranks as one of the best games I've ever seen two high school squads play in terms of the absolute fundamentals of the game.

The 2006 state championship game against Rockbridge was a lot closer than it should have been. But that was a particularly satisfying win. Aside from the fact that it was a state championship game, it also served to exorcise some lingering demons.

'11 Clintwood over Galax, glad to see a team from Dickenson Co win the state title, it was also my first time watching a State Title game

'01 Haysi shuts out Clintwood 19-0, first time Haysi ever shutout Clintwood

'03 Haysi beats Honaker 6-0 on a last second TD pass from backup QB Cody Hutchinson to Jake Colley. Those two teams were about as even as it gets

'05 Haysi beats Honaker like a drumb 33-6 after losing to Honaker in the regular season 14-9

'05 Haysi beats Powell Valley 17-14 on a last second field goal by Freshmen Allen Owens.

Stop reading my mind!

Definately not a mind reader. Since that game I don't stop watching, listening, or recording any Bluefield game until it is over. That is why that particular game is the best in my book.

'11 Clintwood over Galax, glad to see a team from Dickenson Co win the state title, it was also my first time watching a State Title game

That's probably my favorite now. Because of it's significance and for how good the game was. That 01 Clintwood team is the worst Clintwood team I've ever seen, btw. I'd add both the GW game and the Sussex game in their with that one.

Throw in that 97 PV/Appy game. Crazy amount of talent on those two teams that will never be duplicated around here.

99 Honaker 20 Clintwood 19. Clintwood finally got over the PV monkey in the playoffs to lose to a team they'd manhandled for several years for the Region D title. Great game though.

GC 28 CW 27 in 07. The only regular season loss for Clintwood that year. A team that Clintwood should have beaten by a few TD's that continued to keep Clintwood under their thumb. Might be the most frustrating loss ever for me. Add to that one last years CW 28 GC 27 game. Just a good hard hitting game.

94 Grundy 15 CW 8. This was my sr year and one of the hardest and most heartbreaking losses ever. I came off the field for 2 plays (both kickoffs) and could barely walk afterword. Do any of you Grundy folk remember who #55 was? Played LB and Guard. Heck of a player. He came in our locker room after word and gave me a hug and told me what a great game we'd played. Class person.

Can't remember the year but there was a JIB game with Clintwood in the late 90's. I want to say 95. Heck of a game that ended regulation 0-0 with Clintwood kicking a fg to wn the game in OT.

2006 State Title game Richlands beat Rockbridge Co. 29-28 (is this correct score?)

There was also the Graham vs. Richlands game where Graham upset us in what '07? to snap our unbeaten streak...

Correct on both. http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10581&GY=2007

btw... where I got that is a great site.

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/index.cfm