For the ones here who attended college

BHS03

Did you have any professors who brought their political thoughts into the classroom?

I went to WVU and I had one professor who had a Kerry/Lieberman sticker on his bag. I didn't have too big of a problem with him because he never took it into classroom discussion. (He was a Humanities professor.)

But I did have a Communications teacher in 2006 who blatantly put her political beliefs into the curriculum. She constantly talked about Barack Obama and how great of a speaker he was. Mind you, this was before President Obama was the front runner for President. Then I remember her stating that Ronald Reagan wasn't a great speaker in regards to clarity.

At the time I knew it was intentional and so did my roommate who shared the class with me. I wish I had the balls at the time to speak up in front of 250 plus students to call her out on it.

Did you have any professors who brought their political thoughts into the classroom?

I went to WVU and I had one professor who had a Kerry/Lieberman sticker on his bag. I didn't have too big of a problem with him because he never took it into classroom discussion. (He was a Humanities professor.)

But I did have a Communications teacher in 2006 who blatantly put her political beliefs into the curriculum. She constantly talked about Barack Obama and how great of a speaker he was. Mind you, this was before President Obama was the front runner for President. Then I remember her stating that Ronald Reagan wasn't a great speaker in regards to clarity.

At the time I knew it was intentional and so did my roommate who shared the class with me. I wish I had the balls at the time to speak up in front of 250 plus students to call her out on it.

Maybe she was just being objective about it in terms of the presentation of their speeches. It was afterall, a communications class. You would hope so, anyway.

I've had lots of teachers who had very strong opinions about certain politicians (or just the government as a whole). There were many who absolutely despised Obama and either glorified Bush or just made it clear that they were Republican without really supporting anyone. Then there were those who bashed Bush and the GOP and practically worshipped Obama and the Democrats. Of course, most of my teachers either never brought politics up or you could tell who they were with, but they didn't see any need to talk politics in class. It was hard for me to stay away from politics however since I started out as a Liberal arts major to be a history teacher, then switched to art/education, which is pretty big on politics these days. I never cared either way though, most of the arguments/discussions were pretty entertaining and educational, even if I didn't agree with them in the slightest.

Ive never really had professors openly campaign for their particular candidate. Have had some classes where views were openly discussed(I personally see that as a good thing), I did have 1 professor who was a huge Obama supporter, he didnt really show it before the campaign(atleast not in class) but after Obama won all he did was sing the praises of Obama and his cabinent(the entire cultural spectrum was represented). Like most people he was caught up on the message(hope/change) and not really on if Obama would be a good president or not. I never really saw him shoot down anyone who was against Obama but if they did make a anti Obama comment he would ask them to explain why they felt that way(I dont think that is wrong).

If only it was an online class...I'm sure you would have spoken up.

My degree is in Political Science, so many of my professors brought their political thoughts into the classroom, as did my classmates and I. At 18-22, you should be getting experienced enough to deal with an instructors point of view no matter the subject. (Yeah that Engineering, Music, History, or Business instructor has thoughts on their subject that might not have matched my world view, but did help me get a well rounded education.)

Maybe she was just being objective about it in terms of the presentation of their speeches. It was afterall, a communications class. You would hope so, anyway.

I wish it were that way but she would pump him up every chance that she got lol.

Hoping in one hand and going #2 in the other, I'm afraid.

The rational people on the left that I know admit that Reagan was an exemplary orator. I don't see how anyone could say otherwise: almost without exception, if you have an acting career, then you can give a good account of yourself as a pure speaker. Speaking is, of course, the main thing actors do, and Reagan wasn't there for eye candy...

In terms of presentation, Reagan was one of the contemporary parallels given in my "Age of Cicero" class at UVA. By a liberal professor.

To the heart of the thread, seldom would political ideology come into lectures where I was. I commend UVA's lecturers as a whole for not allowing this. Even Sabato, who you can tell is liberal, did a respectable job of maintaining neutrality.

I have been thinking about this, I had professors who openly discussed their political views(as I said before) but I dont think any of my Political Science professors openly let their views be known.

I will date myself here. I had a government professor that thought he knew everything about politics and he was a die hard Republican. He guaranteed the class that William Wampler would never be beaten in the 9th District of Virginia congressional race and if Wampler did lose, we would all get an A on our final exam. That year was the year that Rick Boucher defeated William Wampler. I learned two valuable lessons in that class: 1) Just because a guy has a Doctorate in a certain field does not mean he can see into the future, and 2) Never make a guarantee in public especially if you have no control in the outcome of the guarantee.

I will date myself here. I had a government professor that thought he knew everything about politics and he was a die hard Republican. He guaranteed the class that William Wampler would never be beaten in the 9th District of Virginia congressional race and if Wampler did lose, we would all get an A on our final exam. That year was the year that Rick Boucher defeated William Wampler. I learned two valuable lessons in that class: 1) Just because a guy has a Doctorate in a certain field does not mean he can see into the future, and 2) Never make a guarantee in public especially if you have no control in the outcome of the guarantee.

Knowledge for life boys and girls.

yea-fuck-yea.gif