Rivalry History

stu_bean

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious...how many district and regional titles has Graham won?

A bunch. There were very few years that Graham did not win or share the SWD title between 1989 and 2003. They also won the SWD in 1976 and 1981 before the big breakup. I know of 11 years that they won the SWD outright ('76, '81, '89, '90, '91, '94, '97, '99, '01, '02, '03) and 9 more years they either tied for the regular season title or finished second ('84, '86, '92, '93, '95, '98, '00, '05, '07).

They also have eight Region IV Championships: '81, '89, '90, '93, '95, '98, '01, and '03.

A bunch. There were very few years that Graham did not win or share the SWD title between 1989 and 2003. They also won the SWD in 1976 and 1981 before the big breakup. I know of 11 years that they won the SWD outright ('76, '81, '89, '90, '91, '94, '97, '99, '01, '02, '03) and 8 more years they either tied for the regular season title or finished second ('86, '92, '93, '95, '98, '00, '05, '07).

They also have eight Region IV Championships: '81, '89, '90, '93, '95, '98, '01, and '03.

For the fun of it, what years did Tazewell or Richlands win the district?

A bunch. There were very few years that Graham did not win or share the SWD title between 1989 and 2003. They also won the SWD in 1976 and 1981 before the big breakup. I know of 11 years that they won the SWD outright ('76, '81, '89, '90, '91, '94, '97, '99, '01, '02, '03) and 8 more years they either tied for the regular season title or finished second ('86, '92, '93, '95, '98, '00, '05, '07).

Graham was also Co-Champs in 1984. I am surprised you left that one out G-Man! lol

Graham was also Co-Champs in 1984. I am surprised you left that one out G-Man! lol

Yeh, I did overlook that one...not sure how I could forget that cold playoff game in Blacksburg.

Wow, it's went from not being mentioned in a rivalry to how many championships you've won...

Someone from Richlands asked...

I'm curious...how many district and regional titles has Graham won?

...and I answered.

For the fun of it, what years did Tazewell or Richlands win the district?

Tazewell 82,83,84,and 86. Region titles in 82, and 86. Lost to George Wythe in 83 and Blacksburg in 84. Both played for state titles. Lost to Martinsville in 82.

Richlands won the district in 72,87 and 92. On field was undefeated in 93 but was ineligible for district or regional title due to incidents in 1992. Mance won district in 1998 and 2004 before taking control for good.

Tazewell 82,83,84,and 86. Region titles in 82, and 86. Lost to George Wythe in 83 and Blacksburg in 84. Both played for state titles. Lost to Martinsville in 82.

Richlands won the district in 72,87 and 92. On field was undefeated in 93 but was ineligible for district or regional title due to incidents in 1992. Mance won district in 1998 and 2004 before taking control for good.

Tazewell/Richlands/Grundy shared the district title in 87

No problem. and for the record that '81 region championship for Graham was the snow bowl correct? 6-3 win over Tazewell

That's right, 82 tazewell lost at home to martinsville, 83 lost at George Wythe , 84 lost at blacksburg. Did tazewell win district in 85? I know they crushed a good Graham team down there in 85. That team finished 8-2.

After some searching, Tazewell went 8-2 in '84-85 school year and sat home for playoffs. '85-86 year stayed at home again at 7-3. That is about all I could find. My brother was on the '84 team. when I get a chance, I will see what he remembers.

After some searching, Tazewell went 8-2 in '84-85 school year and sat home for playoffs. '85-86 year stayed at home again at 7-3. That is about all I could find. My brother was on the '84 team. when I get a chance, I will see what he remembers.

Could have sworn we tied for district with you guys in 84. Oh well....

I may be wrong on the overall records. But I am positive that Tazewell lost to Richlands that year so its doubtful that they were district champions. They lost 21-7. It was my brother's senior year and Tazewell beat Richlands every year after that until my senior year, the '91 football season. Neither of us are very proud of that stat. LOL

I may be wrong on the overall records. But I am positive that Tazewell lost to Richlands that year so its doubtful that they were district champions. They lost 21-7. It was my brother's senior year and Tazewell beat Richlands every year after that until my senior year, the '91 football season. Neither of us are very proud of that stat. LOL

Actually, Richlands beat Tazewell 35-14 in 1984. The Blues started 1-5 before winning their last four to finish at .500. The sad/humorous thing is that many people around town would've been okay with a 1-9 record since we actually beat Tazewell.

The subsequent losing streak against the 'Dawgs is a poor chapter in Richlands history. My class ('89) never beat Tazewell, yet we broke even against Beaver and actually went 3-1 against Graham in the same span.

You may be right about the score, sorry bout that. Biggest things I remember about that game were my brother catching a long TD pass and our tires were slashed in the parking lot after the game. To add insult, whoever slashed them decided to urinate all over them too. Got to love those naders....LOL!!

Well, it's not the whole fan base, and I can tell you from my own experience that kind of stuff goes both ways. It's sad it happens, but you have some on both sides ( and for that matter all teams ) that take things way to far !

My experience came after I graduated back in the 70's and had got a pretty good job and bought me a custom van. Really nice with the custom paint job and all that, like you use to see back in the 70's.

I made a mistake of driving it to Tazewell for a game, and of course because I played for the blues I had a Richlands sticker on the bumper.

After the game when I got out to my van, it had been keyed and both side mirror's were broke.

But without anybody seeing anything, nothing I could do except caulk it up to experience and turn it in to my insurance.

Just saying that it's sad it happens and I hate it happen to you just like I hate it happen to me.

I can promise you though that if I would have see someone doing that to you car ( and i don't care if he was a tornado fan ) I would have tried to stop him ! I hate to see stuff like that happen. but it's not all the fans on either side. I know that you are not condemning all the blues fans, but a lot do lump all of us in with the ones that do act ignorant . !

I don't even know if ignorant is the right word since it means a lack of knowledge which they do know what they are doing.

Sorry, just thinking about the way SOME fans act just makes me want to rant !

I truly hate that happen to you and should not have !

No, I'm not lumping them together for sure! My wife is a nader and I have worked at both RHS and RMS and have some good friends down there. I actually would rather take some of our fans aside and settle some matters before I would the Blues fans! LOL

As far as that experience goes, I was only in 5th grade so it was more a hassle than anything to me, but I think my Dad was alot more pissed off! (sorry I couldn't help the word choice)