numbers out so far?

Lance

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Abingdon has 55 out. The most athleticism I have seen on a Falcon squad in many years.

considering they have 1000 kids in the school, this tells you all you need to know about Abingdon.

how many are in the band this year? serious question...I bet there are more in the band than there are playing football.

You know what Lance? I haven't paid alot of attention to the band. This is a sports site( yours) and I was answering a question about high school football. You know I have heard all the gigs against Abingdon football and most of them I agree with. We have a group of kids and parents that would like to throw off all of the old sterotypes and become a respected and competitive program. These young men are working their tails off, and have been all summer. Much of it on their own. I realize its going to be hard to get a modicum of respect on this board until we start competing with quality programs, ( Especially with Falconman and Southbound running their jib) but we are legitimately trying.

You know what Lance? I haven't paid alot of attention to the band. This is a sports site( yours) and I was answering a question about high school football. You know I have heard all the gigs against Abingdon football and most of them I agree with. We have a group of kids and parents that would like to throw off all of the old sterotypes and become a respected and competitive program. These young men are working their tails off, and have been all summer. Much of it on their own. I realize its going to be hard to get a modicum of respect on this board until we start competing with quality programs, ( Especially with Falconman and Southbound running their jib) but we are legitimately trying.

thats all good and dandy...as, well...you should be trying.

All I am asking is how many kids are in the band this year? I'd bet close to 100 between the band and the dance patrol or whatever you call them...and when you have a school the size of Clintwood that has about 1/3 the amount of kids in school who has more kids out on the football team than a school the size of Abingdon, then you have a problem.

Abingdon has some great athletes in the school, i don't know why they have such a hard time getting the kids to play football?

I wasn't making fun of Abingdon or being a smart ass, its a legit question and thats why i said "serious question"...all kidding aside.

Instead of getting overly defensive about it, just calm down and discuss it.

thats all good and dandy...as, well...you should be trying.

All I am asking is how many kids are in the band this year? I'd bet close to 100 between the band and the dance patrol or whatever you call them...and when you have a school the size of Clintwood that has about 1/3 the amount of kids in school who has more kids out on the football team than a school the size of Abingdon, then you have a problem.

Abingdon has some great athletes in the school, i don't know why they have such a hard time getting the kids to play football?

I wasn't making fun of Abingdon or being a smart ass, its a legit question and thats why i said "serious question"...all kidding aside.

Instead of getting overly defensive about it, just calm down and discuss it.

Just to jump in here a sec, it's really only a problem if you consider the town or city in question a football community. Size of the school doesn't necessarily matter. Schools like Clintwood and Gate City are known for their football programs above all. Abingdon is really known for a mix of things and have a lot of athletes out for other sports, especially what other schools consider the smaller sports or olympic/preppy sports. I'd actually be more worried about GC right now, after hearing that they have less than 50 kids out so far, considering their past numbers and how big they are in football. Just my opinion anyway.

Just to jump in here a sec, it's really only a problem if you consider the town or city in question a football community. Size of the school doesn't necessarily matter. Schools like Clintwood and Gate City are known for their football programs above all. Abingdon is really known for a mix of things and have a lot of athletes out for other sports, especially what other schools consider the smaller sports or olympic/preppy sports. I'd actually be more worried about GC right now, after hearing that they have less than 50 kids out so far, considering their past numbers and how big they are in football. Just my opinion anyway.

Abingdon should easily have 75 kids playing football year in and year out and they should be winning 8 to 10 games a year under the current playoff system....anything less and there is a problem. ..they have some kids in that school who could be stand out players on most of the teams around here, that will never play.

Abingdon should easily have 75 kids playing football year in and year out and they should be winning 8 to 10 games a year under the current playoff system....anything less and there is a problem. ..they have some kids in that school who could be stand out players on most of the teams around here, that will never play.

I see what you're saying, but maybe there just isn't an interest in football at that school, even with those big numbers in enrollment. Then again, I guess that would be the problem...no one there to push football in the school.

I see what you're saying, but maybe there just isn't an interest in football at that school, even with those big numbers in enrollment. Then again, I guess that would be the problem...no one there to push football in the school.

that's what i'm saying. They have had a chance to pick up good coaches in the past and didn't...i don't understand. I do know the people who have been running the show and calling the shots, who are also on here by the way...are complete idiots...and I'm not talking about the coaches either. One of them has flip flopped back and forth from JSB to keep his job amid all the previous controversy there...so you probably know who I am talking about....reminds me of slime on a river rock he's so slick.

Here's my gripe Lance. Of all the responders to this thread, the only one you asked about the band was Abingdon. So you can say it was a "serious" question all you want. But the truth of the matter is that you have some sort of gripe against Abingdon. You can go and say that you were trying to make a point about the number of kids in the school in relation to the number of kids in the band vs football team. But, again, why only bring that point up with Abingdon? You hide behind the cloak of "it was a serious question...why get defensive?" only when you are called out and made to look like a fool by Falcon. We know that recent history has been ugly here but we also know that there are some GREAT kids moving up the ranks that are doing their level best to change the fate of AHS. I would love to say something like "we will surprise a lot of folks this year" but I know that statement would get ridiculed by some of the folks on here. But, even worse, if we do what I think we will this year, there is no way any of the AHS haters will say positive things about the program. The ones that need to man up aren't the AHS folks...its the ones that throw jabs in an effort to get "e-cred" and garner some sort of pretend respect from people they don't even know. What's the value in that?

Here's my gripe Lance. Of all the responders to this thread, the only one you asked about the band was Abingdon. So you can say it was a "serious" question all you want. But the truth of the matter is that you have some sort of gripe against Abingdon. You can go and say that you were trying to make a point about the number of kids in the school in relation to the number of kids in the band vs football team. But, again, why only bring that point up with Abingdon? You hide behind the cloak of "it was a serious question...why get defensive?" only when you are called out and made to look like a fool by Falcon. We know that recent history has been ugly here but we also know that there are some GREAT kids moving up the ranks that are doing their level best to change the fate of AHS. I would love to say something like "we will surprise a lot of folks this year" but I know that statement would get ridiculed by some of the folks on here. But, even worse, if we do what I think we will this year, there is no way any of the AHS haters will say positive things about the program. The ones that need to man up aren't the AHS folks...its the ones that throw jabs in an effort to get "e-cred" and garner some sort of pretend respect from people they don't even know. What's the value in that?

I'm not even going to waste my time discussing anything with you...you have already proved to me that you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about on here previously, so I could care less what you think, say, or do...it's all just a bunch of BLAH BLAH BLAH as far as i'm concerned...so please feel free to carry on with your rambling nonsense and you might find another Abingdon person to fist pump with or something? i dunno.

I'll say it. Abingdon sucks at football, always have and always will. Be proud of that band though, bet they have some 250-300 pound flute players. Your football team is a reflection of your community, soft. Face it, Abingdon is full of lawyers, not working folks. Nothing wrong with that, just facts.

Uh, not true. They haven't always sucked. Sure, recent past they have, but not always. The hate for money on this board cracks me up. So, you'd rather your son have a stellar HIGH SCHOOL football career than be successful at life? Smart choice. But, I expect nothing more from someone that has a flute phobia.

Didnt say I hated money, just the opposite. I am saying that lawyers and such usually dont breed athletes, they tend to be sissy like if you catch my drift. Coal miners breed bigger girls and their offspring make football players. Its alright, we need band members, I like music. Maybe you guys will have a good soccer team, I hear its a fun game.

Edited by chubzfan

Don't be hating on the band XD. But if you think Abingdon's band is good, you haven't seen the VA High band, or even Battle's for that matter

(This conversation has taken a strange turn)

just for the record, football team 50-60 players, band members-0, we have not had a band in several years.........

and you won state...must be something there.

lol,i think falcon and big0 are parents of two guys on this site..lol..maybe its stripes..lmao..u gotta have alil tunes..come on...but a state trophy is nice..ppl in abingdon get made fast when they read how bad the football program is..i mean look..they got our reject qb...lol...lol....lol

This is exactly what we are working on, much to the chagrin of many. I would like to wave a wand and make it happen, but you know it doesent happen that way. We have a group of young men on this team that are going above and beyond to effect change. Will it work? I pray that it does. At least we are making a legitimate grass roots effort to be a good football team and maybe get the community behind them.

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here but here is an interesting point about Tazewell. Late 90's we sucked and the band was state honors several years in a row. Then early 00's and the band sucked but we had some really good years in football. The band started to get better again a couple of years ago...

Just saying