numbers out so far?

Lance

Didnt say I hated money, just the opposite. I am saying that lawyers and such usually dont breed athletes, they tend to be sissy like if you catch my drift. Coal miners breed bigger girls and their offspring make football players. Its alright, we need band members, I like music. Maybe you guys will have a good soccer team, I hear its a fun game.

The more I think about this post the more I realize the idiocy on here. You do realize that Steve Young, Hall of Fame Quarterback for the 49ers, is also an attorney don't you? How'd that happen? He wasn't the son a "hefty coal miners daughter". He's just one example that completely exposes your idiocy. I am hoping your profiling was in jest but with the caliber of folks on here it's hard to tell. The soccer comment was also stupid due only to the fact that the second most valuable sports team in the world is a pro soccer team. Dudes bring in some coin. And band offers some kids an avenue of expression....and most schools have a band (except apparently Clintwood...they don't have enough lawyers in town to booster a band).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol,i think falcon and big0 are parents of two guys on this site..lol..maybe its stripes..lmao..u gotta have alil tunes..come on...but a state trophy is nice..ppl in abingdon get made fast when they read how bad the football program is..i mean look..they got our reject qb...lol...lol....lol

The point here is that for some reason a large number of people on this board have some gripe against Abingdon. I don't understand it. I didn't grow up here and therefore I have no preconceived notions against any other teams...because...are you ready for this....because they are HIGH SCHOOLS. I hope every kid out there has a great season. I obviously am going to pull for AHS...but if other teams are subpar then beating them means nothing. Having said that, AHS has been subpar for the past few years and people still act like beating them is like winning the super bowl. Says A LOT for AHS and very very little for the team that wins. BTW, no comment on the QB situation other than to say, not all things are what they seem.

As for the comment about being the parents of the 2 kids that post here....I seriously have no idea who they are. But the fact that they get you guys all worked up absolutely cracks me up. 2 high school kids besting grown men intellectually. What they say is mostly drivel...and yet you bozo's bite every.freaking.time. Classic. Then when I post something that calls you out for hiding behind a computer screen in your mommys basement you go for the "you make no sense..blah blah blah"....what? Man up or shut up. Peace out.

The point here is that for some reason a large number of people on this board have some gripe against Abingdon. I don't understand it. I didn't grow up here and therefore I have no preconceived notions against any other teams...because...are you ready for this....because they are HIGH SCHOOLS. I hope every kid out there has a great season. I obviously am going to pull for AHS...but if other teams are subpar then beating them means nothing. Having said that, AHS has been subpar for the past few years and people still act like beating them is like winning the super bowl. Says A LOT for AHS and very very little for the team that wins. BTW, no comment on the QB situation other than to say, not all things are what they seem.

As for the comment about being the parents of the 2 kids that post here....I seriously have no idea who they are. But the fact that they get you guys all worked up absolutely cracks me up. 2 high school kids besting grown men intellectually. What they say is mostly drivel...and yet you bozo's bite every.freaking.time. Classic. Then when I post something that calls you out for hiding behind a computer screen in your mommys basement you go for the "you make no sense..blah blah blah"....what? Man up or shut up. Peace out.

I bet you get up and do a victory lap around your chair every time you post, don't you. lol.

The more I think about this post the more I realize the idiocy on here. You do realize that Steve Young, Hall of Fame Quarterback for the 49ers, is also an attorney don't you? How'd that happen? He wasn't the son a "hefty coal miners daughter". He's just one example that completely exposes your idiocy. I am hoping your profiling was in jest but with the caliber of folks on here it's hard to tell. The soccer comment was also stupid due only to the fact that the second most valuable sports team in the world is a pro soccer team. Dudes bring in some coin. And band offers some kids an avenue of expression....and most schools have a band (except apparently Clintwood...they don't have enough lawyers in town to booster a band).

good thing about here is if you dont like the caliber of folks on here no one is holding a gun to your head to continue to read and post on this site you like all of us are free to leave and never return.

Didnt say I hated money, just the opposite. I am saying that lawyers and such usually dont breed athletes, they tend to be sissy like if you catch my drift. Coal miners breed bigger girls and their offspring make football players. Its alright, we need band members, I like music. Maybe you guys will have a good soccer team, I hear its a fun game.

You just made the quote wall.

I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here but here is an interesting point about Tazewell. Late 90's we sucked and the band was state honors several years in a row. Then early 00's and the band sucked but we had some really good years in football. The band started to get better again a couple of years ago...

Just saying

When I was in band we had 100+ members several years, and won 99% of what we went to. And the football team was still going to, and won, state. No correlation. Lol

Graham's best band during my time there was 2001, the football state final season.

graham has had a very good band even way back in the early 70's with jimmy jones as band director.and carlock as football coach.

Graham's best band during my time there was 2001, the football state final season.

Yeah, two of the best bands this side of the state, Graham and Richlands are at schools with solid football programs.....

The one thing I can't figure out about Abingdon is if the town supports their school and their sons and daughters. You NEVER see any the business paint their windows,hang a banner or post a sign in support of Abingdon athletics. Heck, I live in Hurley and we will hang a few signs or ballons and for the few business we have, they will let us paint the windows.

The one thing I can't figure out about Abingdon is if the town supports their school and their sons and daughters. You NEVER see any the business paint their windows,hang a banner or post a sign in support of Abingdon athletics. Heck, I live in Hurley and we will hang a few signs or ballons and for the few business we have, they will let us paint the windows.

Said this many times before. How many areas can you go through and you don't even have to guess the team name of where you are traveling through. There are G stars all over Bluefield, Bulldogs or paw prints everywhere in Tazewell, seems like every business has a tornado in their window. Plus how many vehicles do I see on the road everyday that have a T or R on them. The same can be said for Lebanon, Grundy, Bluefield, WV, and even Bland Co.

I thought the community was supposed to be behind their team no matter what. Let's face it football is the star sport of high school and their image. So should't you be behind that no matter what?

Guys I completely agree. Where I went to high school we had a HUGE homecoming parade and the team was supported greatly. It aggravates me to no end how Abingdon does zilch for the high school team. I wonder if we start winning again if the town will show more support or not. It should support it more already but maybe if we have a decent season the support/recognition will return. I would LOVE to find out. Our admin at AHS is terrible with stuff like this...along with most everything else. Trust me, those of us that care don't like the lack of supprt/recognition either.

Said this many times before. How many areas can you go through and you don't even have to guess the team name of where you are traveling through. There are G stars all over Bluefield, Bulldogs or paw prints everywhere in Tazewell, seems like every business has a tornado in their window. Plus how many vehicles do I see on the road everyday that have a T or R on them. The same can be said for Lebanon, Grundy, Bluefield, WV, and even Bland Co.

I thought the community was supposed to be behind their team no matter what. Let's face it football is the star sport of high school and their image. So should't you be behind that no matter what?

Sorry but the larger the town the less interaction it has with it's schools.

Try asking someone in Richmond who the better teams are.

I would imagine your right on the larger town stuff but Abingdon isn't in Richmond's class.

You turn off of Rt. 19 at the flea market or at Walgreens and you can cover the whole town of Abingdon in 45 minutes. The red lights is the only reason it takes that long. Abingdon may be big enough to have a 1000 kids in high school but it is small enough to show more community support.

I wish I had a business right on the main drag beside The Martha Washington.I would "redneck" the store front with Abingdon banners,flags,balloons etc. just to piss off the "whine and cheesers".

Yeah, two of the best bands this side of the state, Graham and Richlands are at schools with solid football programs.....

Alright, time for a little band rant. RHS and Graham both have good bands, but they're not quite as good as the program we have at VHS. Whereas most bands around here compete against schools in our area & relatively small schools, we go to contests and compete against schools two or the times our size..and win. The past two years we've been USSBA Southern States Champions, including schools from VA, TN, MS, AL, NC, SC, and GA. So maybe I'm making a big deal out of this but as a proud member of the best band between Kingsport and Bassett, I wish we'd get acknowledged for it. If you've never seen our band, I implore you to do so, even though this year we're noticeably smaller than these past few years. That is all

So maybe I'm making a big deal out of this but as a proud member of the best band between Kingsport and Bassett, I wish we'd get acknowledged for it.

I think Battle's band would have something to say about that statement :D

As spread out as Battle's "community" is, I think we've even got more support than Abingdon does. You see vehicles everywhere around Bristol and Washington County with the Battle B or a Trojan head in the window as well as on houses. Battle even used to have a homecoming parade on Lee Highway, though it was before my time and I don't know the last year they did it.

I think Battle's band would have something to say about that statement :D

Last time we webby to a contest with Battle in it: Appalachian Band Classic 2010, VHS score: 87, Battle: 83. I rest my case

Last time we webby to a contest with Battle in it: Appalachian Band Classic 2010, VHS score: 87, Battle: 83. I rest my case

Just poking a little fun. I've never seriously compared the bands before. I just know that Battle also competes out of state against much larger schools and wins, wins, wins...

Just poking a little fun. I've never seriously compared the bands before. I just know that Battle also competes out of state against much larger schools and wins, wins, wins...

I know, me too XD. But I'll admit you all have a pretty good band as well, and it seems the best fan base in Washington County

Alright, time for a little band rant. RHS and Graham both have good bands, but they're not quite as good as the program we have at VHS. Whereas most bands around here compete against schools in our area & relatively small schools, we go to contests and compete against schools two or the times our size..and win. The past two years we've been USSBA Southern States Champions, including schools from VA, TN, MS, AL, NC, SC, and GA. So maybe I'm making a big deal out of this but as a proud member of the best band between Kingsport and Bassett, I wish we'd get acknowledged for it. If you've never seen our band, I implore you to do so, even though this year we're noticeably smaller than these past few years. That is all

I've seen the VHS band, many, many times. I think you should give Richlands a little more credit. I can count the number of bands that had beaten us in my 5 years on my hands. Including my Junior year, going unbeaten. We won a competition in Dallas, TX for the Cotton Bowl. I'm not saying you guys aren't good, because you are. But give us some credit.

IMO a lot of it depends on how many of the adults who live there actually grew up in the town. People who didn't go to school there don't have as much of a connection to the teams.

Those scores don't touch what Graham and Richlands put up back in the day. Heck, 87's barely Superior...

It wasn't anything for Graham to slap up an 89-91 and have Richlands follow it with a 94-95...

Battle's always had a considerable amount of talent per capita. Battle's best could always hold their own against Richlands's best. It's a numbers thing. It's just significantly easier to get a fuller sound when you have 110 winds as opposed to 55.

Edited by UVAObserver