Hunting, 2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, today makes the fourth time I've gone out and sat in the woods so far this rifle season...

Day 1: Didn't see $hit.

Day 2: Didn't see $hit.

Day 3: I chose to set up behind the old barn in my chair blind instead of my big blind. About 9:30 AM, I heard a rustling in the woods back across the field to my right. I look over in time to see a buck (looked like a 4-pointer but could have been the 3-pointer that used to hang with funky rack) leap the fence, sprint across the 75 yard wide field and go behind the other side of the barn on a dead run. I get up and move to the corner of the barn, hoping to get a shot at him on the other side. As I got to the corner of the barn, I see him, 300 yards away, taking his last two steps in the field before leaping the fence, crossing the road, going up the hill across the road, leaping the fence at the top of the hill and turning around broadside, pausing for a moment and looking back at me, then disappear into the woods and up the mountain. That all happened in about 10 seconds. Saw two does later that day.

Day 4: Today, didn't get out until after lunch. Took the chair blind out to a place I had not hunted this year. Didn't see anything. I started heading back as it was almost dark. I get to the ladder crossing on the fence (right where the buck jumped across on Day 3) and look down to the far end of the field about 125 yards away. DEER!!! LOTS OF DEER!!!! Looks like six of them. I lifted my rifle to my shoulder and began scoping to see if any were bucks. I could tell that most of them were does but it was getting dark and difficult to see. As I was about to give up, another deer comes into view. I quickly put the rifle up to my shoulder again and strain to look through the scope in near darkness. This deer was big, bigger than the rest...and it looked like it had antlers but I couldn't really tell for sure as it was facing me. I raise my head from the glass, relaxing my straining eyes for a second, then go back for one last good look. The deer turns broadside and I can see what looks like a nice set of horns. I click the safety off and just as I'm about to pull the trigger, he disappears over the hill and back into the woods. FUDGE! I did pick up my game cam from that I had set out last week. Pics of three bears from Monday night and pics of a group of six does from this morning. Pretty sure that was the same group of does I glassed this evening.

Tomorrow is the last day of rifle season.

Well, today makes the fourth time I've gone out and sat in the woods so far this rifle season...

Day 1: Didn't see $hit.

Day 2: Didn't see $hit.

Day 3: I chose to set up behind the old barn in my chair blind instead of my big blind. About 9:30 AM, I heard a rustling in the woods back across the field to my right. I look over in time to see a buck (looked like a 4-pointer but could have been the 3-pointer that used to hang with funky rack) leap the fence, sprint across the 75 yard wide field and go behind the other side of the barn on a dead run. I get up and move to the corner of the barn, hoping to get a shot at him on the other side. As I got to the corner of the barn, I see him, 300 yards away, taking his last two steps in the field before leaping the fence, crossing the road, going up the hill across the road, leaping the fence at the top of the hill and turning around broadside, pausing for a moment and looking back at me, then disappear into the woods and up the mountain. That all happened in about 10 seconds. Saw two does later that day.

Day 4: Today, didn't get out until after lunch. Took the chair blind out to a place I had not hunted this year. Didn't see anything. I started heading back as it was almost dark. I get to the ladder crossing on the fence (right where the buck jumped across on Day 3) and look down to the far end of the field about 125 yards away. DEER!!! LOTS OF DEER!!!! Looks like six of them. I lifted my rifle to my shoulder and began scoping to see if any were bucks. I could tell that most of them were does but it was getting dark and difficult to see. As I was about to give up, another deer comes into view. I quickly put the rifle up to my shoulder again and strain to look through the scope in near darkness. This deer was big, bigger than the rest...and it looked like it had antlers but I couldn't really tell for sure as it was facing me. I raise my head from the glass, relaxing my straining eyes for a second, then go back for one last good look. The deer turns broadside and I can see what looks like a nice set of horns. I click the safety off and just as I'm about to pull the trigger, he disappears over the hill and back into the woods. FUDGE! I did pick up my game cam from that I had set out last week. Pics of three bears from Monday night and pics of a group of six does from this morning. Pretty sure that was the same group of does I glassed this evening.

Tomorrow is the last day of rifle season.

GMan, that must suck for you. Hopefully you'll bring in one, bud.