Hunting, 2012

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. FIL has same camera but pics aren't quite as clear and crisp...guess I just got one of the "good ones".

Yeh, I'm getting pretty anxious for the 29th to get here to.

The problem is not CWD, it's hemoragic disease. Not that uncommon. Outbreaks will stop once freezing temperatures arrive which will kill the biting flies that spread the disease. Deer with hemoragic disease develop a high fever. Therefore, the carcasses are usually found in or near water.

Didn't check the cameras this week but did get my blind set up, shooting lanes cleared, and distances ranged. Blind is set up in good cover, didn't need much brushing in. In a good location with lots of oak trees and where four trails intersect in a fairly open area. Good shooting lanes on three of the four trails and a good view of the fourth trail to see anything that may be headed in my direction. Lots of signs of deer activity along all the trails and the open area.

BTW, saw eight turkeys when I got there and one had the longest beard I've ever seen...hope he makes it until Spring...

i cant keep the bears away from my blind 2 cubs and a momma bear stay around it dont know what im going to do

Interesting. Have you put anything out that might attract them to the area around your blind? I'd definitely carry a "little extra" with me for protection, just in case...BTW, meet "little extra"...

454lframe_r1_c1.jpg

Checked my FIL's camera just a bit ago. He had put it near a big oak tree about 20 yards below where I have my blind.

579 pictures.

Lots of deer. Four bucks, including two new ones that I didn't have pics of yet...a 4-pointer and a 6-pointer. Also pics of "Funky Rack" and a spike that I've had pics of before. And, a plethora of does and fawns, too.

He had a nice pic of a coyote on the card from where he had it before he moved it to the oak tree.

Hope to get pics uploaded at some point.

So far I've got pics of at least eight bucks frequenting the property...2 spikes, a 3, 4, 6, 7 (Funky Rack), 8 (Stud), and 8+ (Big Daddy).

Saturday can't get here quick enough!!!

Sitting here in my blind. Lots of activity early but none of the good bucks yet. Have already passed on two does and a button buck. The button buck was within 20 feet of my blind for more than 10 minutes.

Had two more does within range that I let pass. About 12:15, I look down at the far end of the oak trees, two more does. I sat there watching them eat acorns for about 10 minutes and they begin to wander down the trail to the south and into the woods. As they get into woods, here comes a big buck from the trail on the north side of the oaks. He makes a beeline to the trail heading south following the does. He had a big wide rack, at least an 8, looked very much like the last buck in post #13. He was out of my range, and even if he was, I would have had to hit a moving target because he never slowed down.

I left the farm about 3:15. On the day, I saw a total of eleven deer...all the ones mentioned plus the doe with two fawns...not going to shoot her even if she's standing right in front of me (like the button buck was). Also saw 13 turkeys (11 at the farm and two that jumped out of the weeds and in front of me on the way home), tons of squirrels, and a big hawk that was messing with some blue jays. Almost forgot, heard a couple of coyotes howling up on the mountain just before sunrise...as much as they are hated, it was truly awesome hearing the "call of the wild".

May try to go back after work a couple of days this week and hunt the last couple of hours of daylight.

Thought that it was only one or two horns from the first few pics, he must have had a ruff winter and spring!

You talkin' about "Funky Rack"? He wasn't the one I saw, the big buck in the last pic on post #13 may have been the one I saw today.

Yeah I heard the same thing. Just didn't know if there is enough around here to be worth the investment of getting started, buying gear, calls, ammo etc. etc. Plus gotta try to find a farmer that is willing to let me use their land for it.