Hunting, 2012

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another day of nothing however I did get a return "grunt" after a "doe bleat" call...never saw anything though.

I really think the wind messed up my weekend. It blew pretty steady 10+mph with higher gusts both days I was out. Fortunately, it was coming from a good direction in regards to where I was set up...unfortunately, there was no cooperation from the deer.

Remind me to take my .22 with me next time I go to the farm...too many damn squirrels and chipmunks...

Moved the blind today...changing tactics pre-rut.

I've now setup near some heavily used trails to hopefully take advantage of bucks "chasing" the ladies.

I've got a fairly good location to catch them "coming and going"...set up between two east-west trails with a trail that comes in from the northwest and crosses both east-west trails. Looks almost like a "not equal" sign except the slash goes from top left to bottom right.

I'm about 15 yards east of the northwest running trail and about 15 yards south of the northerly east-west trail and 25 yards north of the southerly east-west trail.

There are a couple of oaks at the intersection on the southerly east-west trail.

Good shooting lanes at all trails and intersections.

This setup should be good for any wind from any direction except NE, E, and SE...best with any wind from a westward direction.

I'll see if this pays off Friday.

While at the farm, we jumped a buck and two does and saw three gobblers, a hen with eight young ones.

Only saw two "fresh" scrapes on Sunday...ironically, one was where I had been hunting all season. The other along a connector trail to where I moved my blind.

I WILL knock one down Friday.

Went out this morning until about noon. Got so hot in the blind, I started feeling ill.

Saw two does, unfortunately they were about 75 yards away and heading away from me. I did see a beautiful hawk that landed on an overhanging branch about 20 yards from me. Also saw a FRANKENPECKER! Biggest red-headed woodpecker I've ever seen!!!

Red_Headed_Wood_Pecker__vert.jpg

May try again tomorrow if I'm feeling better.

OK, let's play a little game...

I left my blind set up...what will happen to it between now and the next time I head out to it...

1- The gusty winds from this storm will turn it into a kite and either rip it to shreads or send it into the next county.

2- The gusty winds from this storm will blow a large tree down and crush my blind.

3- The heavy, wet snow will cause the frame to break and collapse.

4- Nothing. It will still be sitting where it was and the deer will continue to avoid it.

lol the wind will blow it away and lance that could happen gman im worried about the same thing

I think I'm more worried about a tree falling on it or snow crushing it. We had some really strong, gusty wind (30-40mph) on the side of East River a few weeks ago and my blind survived with flying colors. Surprised me. When I moved it, its in a more sheltered area now and I know I've got at least two stakes anchored in better than they were in the original location. I guess I'll find out Thursday evening or Friday as to whether I'll need to go shopping for a new one or not.

OK, let's play a little game...

I left my blind set up...what will happen to it between now and the next time I head out to it...

1- The gusty winds from this storm will turn it into a kite and either rip it to shreads or send it into the next county.

2- The gusty winds from this storm will blow a large tree down and crush my blind.

3- The heavy, wet snow will cause the frame to break and collapse.

4- Nothing. It will still be sitting where it was and the deer will continue to avoid it.

And the correct answer is...#3.

FIL went and checked yesterday, the snow had crushed it. I know that at least one of the roof supports broke, not sure about anything else since I haven't seen it yet. Gives me a good excuse to get an "upgrade" now.

FIL has been at the farm the past two days...he goes out everyday to either do some work or to just check on things. Tuesday, he said there were no signs of life...no deer tracks, nothing.

Yesterday was a different story. Deer tracks EVERYWHERE! Including all around where my blind was located. He said he was watching two does for about 15 minutes around where the spring is located and a 6-pointer came up out of the woods and started "sniffing around". A couple of minutes later the does took off into the woods and the buck followed. Sounds like things are heating up!!!

Now, I have to find a new blind and get it set up so I can take part in the festivities this Friday and Saturday. If I can't, I may just try to rig something up with my "crushed" blind to make do for the weekend.

A friend of mine sent me these pics yesterday. She and her husband have a place over in McDowell Co. where they have hunted for a long time. She has been telling me about this one deer in particular that they have had pictures of on their game cams, which I've seen, for the last several years.

Yesterday, her cousin finally got him...

McDowell drop tine 1.jpg

McDowell drop tine 2.jpg

And the correct answer is...#3.

FIL went and checked yesterday, the snow had crushed it. I know that at least one of the roof supports broke, not sure about anything else since I haven't seen it yet. Gives me a good excuse to get an "upgrade" now.

FIL has been at the farm the past two days...he goes out everyday to either do some work or to just check on things. Tuesday, he said there were no signs of life...no deer tracks, nothing.

Yesterday was a different story. Deer tracks EVERYWHERE! Including all around where my blind was located. He said he was watching two does for about 15 minutes around where the spring is located and a 6-pointer came up out of the woods and started "sniffing around". A couple of minutes later the does took off into the woods and the buck followed. Sounds like things are heating up!!!

Now, I have to find a new blind and get it set up so I can take part in the festivities this Friday and Saturday. If I can't, I may just try to rig something up with my "crushed" blind to make do for the weekend.

Upon further review...only one roof support was broken, everything else was OK. I was able to use the one good support to hold the roof up as a "make do" holdmeover. Ordered two new roof supports this afternoon. Going hunting tomorrow!

BTW, the woods smell like deer. If you know that smell, you know what I'm talking about.

Upon further review...only one roof support was broken, everything else was OK. I was able to use the one good support to hold the roof up as a "make do" holdmeover. Ordered two new roof supports this afternoon. Going hunting tomorrow!

BTW, the woods smell like deer. If you know that smell, you know what I'm talking about.

Break out that muzzle loader tomorrow bud, GOOD LUCK!

Break out that muzzle loader tomorrow bud, GOOD LUCK!

Not in the 304. Still bow until 11/19, rifle season. Then after two weeks of rifle its muzzleloader time for a whole week.

In the blind now. Saw two does down below where I'm set up but they were too far out. Watched for about ten minutes before they went out of sight. I've seen a ton of turkeys today. Will probably be here until dark unless I get lucky before that.

the big 8 pointer i been hunting all bow season came with in 20 yards of me and my muzzleloader shot a puff of smoke bad luck is all i got

THAT sucks!

I saw lots of scrapes and a couple of rubs yesterday, so I know they are there...and as I said, the woods "smell like deer". I think the bucks are moving during the dark hours. With the exception of the two does, I haven't seen a whole lot the last few times out...even though my FIL did see the 6-pointer this past week and that was just after sun up. I probably won't go back in the woods until rifle season, maybe give them a break and get them back to moving during the day light.

Also, another thing that really didn't/doesn't help matters is a couple of neighbors have their own personal shooting range. As a matter of fact, the neighbor down below the ridge I was hunting yesterday was out shooting his muzzleloader from about 3:45 - 4:30. I'm sure that limited most deer movement for late yesterday afternoon. And another neighbor on the ridge across from us does a lot of handgun and rifle practice...he started shooting around 4:45 yesterday and was still going strong when I called it quits. Sounds like I'm just going to have to get out pre-dawn and hope to catch one of the "late movers" like that six pointer.