Hunting, 2012

Well, bow season is 7-weeks away in WV and I've been working on food plots, mineral sites and setting cameras for several weeks already. The work is paying off as I've had nearly 100 pictures in the last two weeks, on one camera, of does, fawns, turkeys, rabbits, a coyote, and this morning, this little fella showed up...

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering the same thing. Something is definitely outta whack on the left side of his head. Maybe I'll get some better pics this week.

I think his rack looks fine. I think the right rack shadows the left rack in pictures 1-3, and the left rack is directly facing the camera in picture 2.

What I'm wondering is: was it REALLY 49 degrees at some point this week?

Yes, it was 49* at the farm on Sunday morning.

I've been fighting myself over this...at times, I see what UVAO sees with the antlers pointing at the camera but I also see what 1inStripes sees, a knub of horns. Really hoping to get a better picture of him this week.

BTW, on my way home from work yesterday, in the field beside Ramey's on 460 in Tazewell...5 deer including one 8/10 point buck with a big, tall rack. Almost wrecked trying to look at him...

The buck at Ramey's is out almost every day. Other places on 460 to spot big bucks regularly are on the road cut just east of Magic Mart in Tazewell, across from the gas station at Pounding Mill, and just west of Payne Equipment on the North side of the highway under the apple trees. And I think your buck is missing a good bit of his left antler.

The buck at Ramey's is out almost every day. Other places on 460 to spot big bucks regularly are on the road cut just east of Magic Mart in Tazewell, across from the gas station at Pounding Mill, and just west of Payne Equipment on the North side of the highway under the apple trees. And I think your buck is missing a good bit of his left antler.

There's a herd of deer in/around the field, and surrounding farm land, beside Ramey's. A couple of weeks ago I counted seven on the hillside above the field and three more in the field.

Last fall, and during the winter, there was another herd that I would see almost every day in the field between Lincolnshire Lake and the Rt. 61 exit on 460. More than once I counted teens of deers in that field.

Also see them quite often in the field just east of the road cut that you are talking about.

And those apple trees you speak of, I've often thought that would be a good location for seeing deer, but I've never seen any in that location.

On my way home today, as I crested the Divides, there was a big deer coming down the hillside on the left where all the trees were removed. Not sure if he had been spooked by something or not, but he was definitely in a big hurry coming down the hill.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today, I checked my camera that was set up on a mineral site two weeks ago...648 pictures. Lots of does and fawns but here are a few of the highlights, including a better picture of the buck I posted above...

PICT0463.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0334.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0077.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

A couple days ago, I saw a couple nice 6 pointers at my grandparent's place, the same area where I had a shot at a 7 pointer, but he hasn't shown up all year.. I'm thinking I should get a trail camera to see what we've got.

Yes you should. You can find some good inexpensive game cams...you don't have to pay big bucks for them.

Inexpensive...Wild Game Innovations

Money no object...any of the top of the line models from any of the major manufacturers

My wife bought mine for me last Christmas, its a Moultrie M80. Got it for $119 on sale, however the price is significantly higher ($159-$179) at most places this year for the same model.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-dgs-m80xt&cn=1002289&att=1002289

• 2 weeks later...

Checked my cam this morning...94 pics since Sunday afternoon.

Two things of note:

1) Bucks have shed their velvet.

2) I have an unbelievable set of pictures from 6:45 AM until 7:45 AM on Wednesday, 9/12. I wish I could post them all. Bucks, does, fawns, turkeys...looked like a damn wildlife party.