Hunting, 2012

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I heard the same thing. Just didn't know if there is enough around here to be worth the investment of getting started, buying gear, calls, ammo etc. etc. Plus gotta try to find a farmer that is willing to let me use their land for it.

You can try down in the Cove around that area to find a farmer who would let you bag the coyotes and stop them from getting into their livestock. Worth a shot.

Pretty sure there is still a coyote bounty. Last I heard it was like $50 a coyote.

Correct, up to a $5000 total payout per year, which may be increased by the Board upon its discretion. And, to the best of my knowledge, that limit hasn't been reached this year.

The $5000 limit came about as the result of some strong suspicions that people were breeding them on farms solely to claim a bunch of $50 bounties. When farmers may come in with 2/month, and you come in with 27 (actually happened), that's ridiculous.

Yeah I heard the same thing. Just didn't know if there is enough around here to be worth the investment of getting started, buying gear, calls, ammo etc. etc. Plus gotta try to find a farmer that is willing to let me use their land for it.

There are more around here than you'd think, but not enough to put $300+ into it in hopes of turning a profit...

If one thing is for sure, there are enough of them around here.....

I did a little hunting this morning a big ole doe decided to cross the road in front of me and well the rest is history

LOL. Happened once to my grandfather, too, except it was a 9-point buck. Went hunting over the weekend, Friday-Sunday, got nothing. Coming out of the woods, a 9-point buck jumped in front of him, and as you say, the rest is history.

As I said above, there are plenty, but not if you're looking to make a profit on it.

Thanks, but no not trying to make a profit out of it just wanted to see if there was enough around to be worth trying. I'm thinking about maybe heading out to Burks Garden to see about places to hunt.

Hit the farm for a few hours this evening. Got in the blind just before 5, not much action until about 6.

Two does came from my left to feed on acorns under the oaks. They were working their way up toward my blind and were well within range but I passed, told myself I was only going to shoot a buck if one came along. As the two were getting closer to my blind, about 15 yards, a third doe comes from the same direction and begins working toward my blind as well. As the first two headed toward the trees to my right, the third doe continued working her way toward my blind and actually worked her way within five feet of the left side of my blind. She eventually worked her way completely around my blind, without spooking, and headed to the trees toward the other two does. I don't think I breathed one time while she was so close to me.

About 30 minutes later the three does came back out of the trees to my right and worked their way back toward where they came from.

About 15 minutes later, two more does came out of the trees on the right and worked the acorns, both well within range again. They eventually worked back into the trees on the right.

I sat there for about another 15 minutes or so, and as the light of day began to fade, another doe came from the trees on the right, further out this time, and made her way in the direction of the three earlier does.

As it was getting dark, I decided to climb out of the blind and head back home. As I unzipped the blind to get out, I hear a loud wheeze to my left (would be my right if sitting in my blind) and I see momma doe and her two fawns dash into the trees.

A total of nine different deer but no bucks. May go back tomorrow evening for a few more hours.

The weather and the leaf fall has certainly changed the deer pattern. Sat in the blind all day and didn't see one deer. Saw a BUNCH of turkeys though...if the winter is mild again, its going to be a fun gobbler season in April.

Passed a 4 point on Monday. Skewered a nice Mud Fork doe this evening. Thank goodness for away games.

Good job! Not exactly sure where all my deer went.

And the thing that ticks me off about today is, I had said I was going to hold out for a buck but last night I told my wife I was going to go ahead and drop a doe. Just my luck...:D