Tell me Im wrong......

UNIONFAN

My orginial post has done exactly what i wanted it to. It has caused dissucssion and most of all opinions. This is the true meaning of forums like these and im glad its working. Granted we keyed in on one specific topic of the post but Im glad to see people chatting about one instead of ignoring em all.

IMO i think we should take this thread and run with the other three topics on it as well. For example, I feel that the Green wave look better week two this season than week two of last, the question remains will they continue to look this good or will they faulter somewhere down the line?

Also Union is playing some better ball as well, but can the bears keep it up?

Most importantly, could Abingdon do better at water polo than football?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer this question for me. Is it possible for teams to play in a level lower than the student body numbers call for due to acedemic reasons? If Im not mistaking, some local schools droped a level some years back due to a reason like this.

Answer this question for me. Is it possible for teams to play in a level lower than the student body numbers call for due to acedemic reasons? If Im not mistaking, some local schools droped a level some years back due to a reason like this.

Lee got a waiver, but that's because Lee's about 5 hours from civilization. Give or take a little.

Travel waivers are about the only reason I've ever seen for a school to drop down. And, of course, this wouldn't be applicable to Richlands, considering Richlands was pretty much in the dead center of the old Southwest District...

Looks like we are still talking about the same thing. As for Clintwood I do think they are better at this point this year than they were last year. It all depends on their work ethic and will to win. That is what won them the state title last year. The fact that they came together worked hard and had a will to win. As for as Abingdon is concerned they would have to be better at anyhting than football one would think.

Lee got a waiver, but that's because Lee's about 5 hours from civilization. Give or take a little.

Travel waivers are about the only reason I've ever seen for a school to drop down. And, of course, this wouldn't be applicable to Richlands, considering Richlands was pretty much in the dead center of the old Southwest District...

Having lived there, it has some of the prettiest country and the some nicest folks.

I don't know about that. Some of the Appalachia teams from the 1990s were something else. Haysi, Clintwood, and Honaker MIGHT have won just a few trophies.

If they had escaped playing the Powell Valleys of the 1990s by being bumped down to D1, then they would likely still have had to face some of the Appalachia teams with guys like Travis Turner and Travis Clark. It probably wouldn't have made a very big difference most seasons.

Between the 3 of them they could have won 7 titles. Haysi in '91 and '93, Honaker in '98 and '99, Clintwood in the 2000s could have won 1-2 more. Thats 6 really good teams right there, not to mention some other years. Most of the times JIB went to state in the early 2000s it would have been better Honaker or Clintwood teams.

Again its just speculation, no doubt there were some dominating Appalachia teams; in 92 94 96 97 neither of my 3 would have beaten Appy but in the rest of those years there were some really good teams at my 3.

Edited by redtiger

Also true. I can't knock it too much. Too many of my ancestors come from there. Grandmother was born in St. Charles, for example. Still...that's a bear of a drive to most everywhere.

I still hate that the Midgets aren't still around.

I still hate that the Midgets aren't still around.

One of the great lost team names.

UVAO, I agree it is a bear of a drive, especially to Cumberland Gap. When I lived out there, I served on an economic development commission that met in the Wytheville regularly. I had to leave the house at 6:30 to make the 9 a.m. meetings.

water polo for abingdon, heck they gotta lake, over here ,we have just a pond....lol:D

I'm not sure they would like that sport. It might be too physical. Those guys beat the snot out of each other under the water.

I don't think one is saying the blues will state every yr at d2 level just think we would have a few more than we do. Gretna has been brought up a lot they where d3 a few yrs back the last run tazewell had before losing to the blues last min was at gretna so they would only be in the recent pic as far as d2 is concerned and someone else hit on this The first yr gate city dropped down they had more kids than tazewell I know that was my first yr out of school they beat tazewell in their last playoff yr in d3

You are correct in that Goochland played at the D3 level in 2009 and 2010....but they did have a higher enrollment (782) than Richlands (776) in 2008 and played a division lower. Goochland was also playing at the D2 level in 2006 with an enrollment of 770 and William Monroe is currently playing D2 with an enrollment of 770.

There were also schools with 600+ playing D1 those years. It is a mess! Hopefully next year will be better.