Grundy-Hurley consolidation

cwood78

any news? just rumor mind you, about some heated discussions, about where to build new school...
You are right, just a rumor!!! No school will be built unless they combine the whole county. Grundy High has plenty of room. It use to house over 1100, grades 10-12. They have around 500 on a good day.

My guess would be Council would stay open(kinda sucks for them but theres not alot of options).

Grundy/Hurley/TV is an easy consolidation, really the county could do it in grundy high right now

Be one hell of a football team!

The trip from Council is not that bad. There is a vocational school bus that makes the trip every day. I think a new consolidated high school at Poplar Gap/ Southern Gap would be ideal.

Have you been to Council? Kids miss 10 or 15 minutes of 3rd block and are rushed to eat lunch every day and they have to be here to get on the trade school bus at a little after 8 each morning School doesn't start til 8.

If they consolidated Council, look for 134 + 188 = K-12 312 kids... probably 250 or so go to Russel county and the Prater kids would be cast back to Riverview or Grundy

It's 11 miles to Honaker over big A and the county line for the bus is about 2 miles at the top of Big A ... South/Poplar gap isn't an option.

Although no self respecting Councilinian would go to Haysi.... DICKenson county is an option as well for now til they are absorbed by Clintwood ..

Although Haysi is at full capacity from what I understand they hadn't had close to 400 in years so lockers, books, and desks, were under staffed and they wouldn't accept transfers unless it was of some benefit in sports

Have you been to Council? Kids miss 10 or 15 minutes of 3rd block and are rushed to eat lunch every day and they have to be here to get on the trade school bus at a little after 8 each morning School doesn't start til 8.

If they consolidated Council, look for 134 + 188 = K-12 312 kids... probably 250 or so go to Russel county and the Prater kids would be cast back to Riverview or Grundy

It's 11 miles to Honaker over big A and the county line for the bus is about 2 miles at the top of Big A ... South/Poplar gap isn't an option.

Although no self respecting Councilinian would go to Haysi.... DICKenson county is an option as well for now til they are absorbed by Clintwood ..

Although Haysi is at full capacity from what I understand they hadn't had close to 400 in years so lockers, books, and desks, were under staffed and they wouldn't accept transfers unless it was of some benefit in sports

I was thinking the same thing,that it's a hell of a drive out of Council. I think the drive out of the area of Peapatch,Chicken Ridge,Brown Mtn, and Whitewood is a long drive. I know some of the kids in Hurley would probably go to Phelps. The KY bus and the VA bus stop on the same road in the right fork Paw Paw and Elk Creek because of how the state lines run. The guys in Guesses Fork (right&left fork) would also consider Riverview WV because the WV bus turns around on top of Guesses Fork Mtn.

Council is the odd man out....my guess is Grundy/TV/Hurley will consol and be up at the Gap as soon as they can get the school built and the roads opened up...it's just a matter of time.

I also figure it will be called Buch Co High School or something along those lines...maybe even just Poplar Gap High...who knows...it makes me sick to think there will be no more Grundy High, but I see the writing on the wall.

I've alrady been told that there is going to be a High school built on the Gap..as Lance said its just a matter of time. I'm sure atleast 3 schools will be consolidated. Even though I hate the fact that Grundy will prob. not be the name it's only fair that it not be named Grundy High.because 2 other schools will be losing their names also.

Council is the odd man out....my guess is Grundy/TV/Hurley will consol and be up at the Gap as soon as they can get the school built and the roads opened up...it's just a matter of time.

I also figure it will be called Buch Co High School or something along those lines...maybe even just Poplar Gap High...who knows...it makes me sick to think there will be no more Grundy High, but I see the writing on the wall.

I would've thought the school with less than 100 students would be the main catalyst for consolidation to begin with.

they should have consolidated council with garden and whitewood when they put them together and left council elementary/middle open and then had the high school where twin valley middle is now, it's not a bad drive from council to there, no worse than kids having to come from compton mtn, brown mtn, chicken ridge and other places over that way, only reason they weren't is politics

they should have consolidated council with garden and whitewood when they put them together and left council elementary/middle open and then had the high school where twin valley middle is now, it's not a bad drive from council to there, no worse than kids having to come from compton mtn, brown mtn, chicken ridge and other places over that way, only reason they weren't is politics

which is why council will stay open unless they can manage to pawn them off on another county...which won't happen.

I heard from a fried at work today who claims he spoke with a supervisor in the Grundy area and was told that the conslidation was Grundy and Hurley would happen before a new school was built and all students would be going to Grundy High until the new one is built. Also that it would happen really soon like within the next year or two. Does anyone know if they are any truth to this?

I heard from a fried at work today who claims he spoke with a supervisor in the Grundy area and was told that the conslidation was Grundy and Hurley would happen before a new school was built and all students would be going to Grundy High until the new one is built. Also that it would happen really soon like within the next year or two. Does anyone know if they are any truth to this?

i dont see that happening.

i started this post, have some kin folk who works for the town of grundy, in some sort of meeting, offical or not, hearsay, rumor ,i do not know, someone, somebodies, were in a very serious discussion about where to build new school... like i said in first post ,rumor mind you...........you can't tell..............might be another ervinton deal.......................

Better chance of that happening Lance than a new school being built with the current tax base in the county taking a hit because of the Coal layoffs. The County took a huge hit with Console shutting down and with the powers that be knowing how volitile coal is now unless the state puts a huge chunk of change into it I'd imagine it will be a long time before a new school gets built in Buchanan County. If the economy recovers probably be a while before merging happens if not chance of it happening sooner is more likely than later.

Maybe all this anti coal garbage I read from all these genious who say we dont need coal and need to get away from it and it's folks that even live here that say that will sing a different toon when they are forced to combine schools in order to afford to keep places open and running. Yep school teachers are in Coal business to if you live in Buchanan County.

I can see this happening, my question is will it be named the Grundy Golden Wave, or?....Smiley Ratliff Razorbacks

I choose Smiley Ratliff because it's a pretty common denominator between the two schools

Hurley: Smiley Ratliff field

Grundy: Smiley Ratliff, player and coach

Edited by WaveFan09

Better chance of that happening Lance than a new school being built with the current tax base in the county taking a hit because of the Coal layoffs. The County took a huge hit with Console shutting down and with the powers that be knowing how volitile coal is now unless the state puts a huge chunk of change into it I'd imagine it will be a long time before a new school gets built in Buchanan County. If the economy recovers probably be a while before merging happens if not chance of it happening sooner is more likely than later.

Maybe all this anti coal garbage I read from all these genious who say we dont need coal and need to get away from it and it's folks that even live here that say that will sing a different toon when they are forced to combine schools in order to afford to keep places open and running. Yep school teachers are in Coal business to if you live in Buchanan County.

the coal industry has been on and off since the 80s...this is nothing new...and just my opinion this layoff business is nothing more than election year politics. If the county did everything based on the coal industry alone and what was going on "right now" you would never know what to plan for.

This Poplar Gap project has been cooking for a long time, some of the heaviest hitters in the county are behind it...the coal industry might waiver, but you can bet your butt that the Gap project won't....that's already a done deal top to bottom...it's going to happen.

Grundy/Hurley could be a reality very soon! Got this from about 5 solid sources, all directly associated with an elected position within the county suggesting that there is a strong push from influential positions to bring the two together ASAP.

I am being told that TV and Council will not be messed with for a while, but eventually everything could come together at the Gap.

Edited by bucfan64

I can see this happening, my question is will it be named the Grundy Golden Wave, or?....Smiley Ratliff Razorbacks

I choose Smiley Ratliff because it's a pretty common denominator between the two schools

Hurley: Smiley Ratliff field

Grundy: Smiley Ratliff, player and coach

Love the Smiley Ratliff Razorbacks

Grundy/Hurley could be a reality very soon! Got this from about 5 solid sources, all directly associated with an elected position within the county suggesting that there is a strong push from influential positions to bring the two together ASAP.

I am being told that TV and Council will not be messed with for a while, but eventually everything could come together at the Gap.

whats the point of doing it before a new school is built? unless "they" know the new school is more than 5 years away? That's the only way i could see it unless numbers at Hurley are supposed to drop drastically in the next couple of years? which if that's true on either case, I had not heard of it.