Chilhowie football

olewave

Chilhowie football players disciplined for 'horseplay'

Smyth County Schools Superintendent says some younger students were unwillingly dragged into the fray

By: Michael Owens | Bristol Herald Courier , Jim Sacco | Bristol Herald Courier

Published: September 25, 2012 Updated: September 25, 2012 - 10:06 PM

» Comments | Post a Comment

CHILHOWIE, Va. --

A murky picture is emerging of a Sept. 13 incident in the Chilhowie Warriors locker room that ended in disciplinary action for some members of the football team.

Smyth County Schools Superintendent Michael M. Robinson confirmed Tuesday that some “horseplay†erupted among upperclassmen that day, and some younger students were unwillingly dragged into the fray and videotaped.

Robinson described the roughhousing as some students being held down while other players stood over them.

“They stood over top of students and how far they squatted down I don’t know,†Robinson said. “There was no physical contact of another kid’s face with any kid’s genitals … everybody was clothed.â€

Jonathan Ensor, a tow-truck operator and 2003 Warrior defensive end, said he discounted what he first heard of the event because the described activity didn’t make sense and he heard it from an 11-year-old relative who wasn’t present when it happened.

Ensor said community conversations have likely blown the incident out of proportion.

He also said the community often talks about what happens with the high school teams because high school sports are important to Chilhowie residents.

“Football and wrestling is all there is to do around here,†he said Tuesday. “We don’t even have a movie theater around here.â€

Warriors coach Larry Russell was not on the sidelines for Friday’s homecoming game against the Northwood Panthers. Robinson refused to say whether the coach’s absence was the result of disciplinary actions connected to the locker room antics.

“It could be [disciplinary],†Robinson said. “Because it’s a personnel matter I can’t say.â€

Russell refused to discuss his team’s locker room behavior.

“It’s been handled and taken care of by the school board,†he said.

Last week, Robinson’s office questioned 20 players in an investigation that ended with an unspecified number of students disciplined for their involvement. The video is no longer in the hands of school investigators.

“It took us a good while to do that [investigation] because we didn’t want the rumor mill to drive it,†Robinson said.

He refused to cite the number of players disciplined because that might divulge their identities.

He also refused to specify the punishment, saying only that it was “appropriate.â€

“We can do anything from having a conversation with a child or a parent to a long-term disciplinary action … like expulsion,†Robinson said. “It’s somewhere in there.â€

The case also attracted the attention of police investigators, Robinson said.

“I am aware that the commonwealth’s attorney, Virginia State Police and the Smyth County Sheriff’s Office are aware of this situation,†he said.

Neither county prosecutor Roy Evans nor Sheriff R. David Bradley returned messages. State Police spokeswoman Corinne Gellar, after referring questions to Evans, wrote via email that her agency has not opened an investigation on the locker room incident.

mowens@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Mike_BHCNews | (276) 645-2549

jsacco@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Sacco_BHCSports | (276) 645-2572

Chilhowie football players disciplined for 'horseplay'

Smyth County Schools Superintendent says some younger students were unwillingly dragged into the fray

By: Michael Owens | Bristol Herald Courier , Jim Sacco | Bristol Herald Courier

Published: September 25, 2012 Updated: September 25, 2012 - 10:06 PM

» Comments | Post a Comment

CHILHOWIE, Va. --

A murky picture is emerging of a Sept. 13 incident in the Chilhowie Warriors locker room.

Smyth County Schools Superintendent Michael M. Robinson confirmed Tuesday that some “horseplay†erupted among upperclassmen that day:

“They stood over top of students and how far they squatted down I don’t know,†Robinson said. “There was no physical contact of another kid’s face with any kid’s genitals … everybody was clothed."

mowens@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Mike_BHCNews | (276) 645-2549

jsacco@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Sacco_BHCSports | (276) 645-2572

No Superintendent from my county ever has to describe locker room behavior like that. What a disgrace!!:mad: Don't they know that squats are done in the weight room?

I love how the Bristol sports writers quoted a tow-truck driver who played in 1993 who got the info from an 11 year old relative. Sounds very reliable doesn't it. Word on HOGO.com this morning is that the sports writers were on twitter last night trying to get info from high school students to futher their sale of newspapers. Interesting????????????

I love how the Bristol sports writers quoted a tow-truck driver who played in 1993 who got the info from an 11 year old relative. Sounds very reliable doesn't it. Word on HOGO.com this morning is that the sports writers were on twitter last night trying to get info from high school students to futher their sale of newspapers. Interesting????????????

The BHC has, without exception, the worst journalistic integrity of any newspaper I've ever seen. It runs the gamut, from threatening people with lawsuits to get information (been there, done that, beat them) to getting thirdhand information and publishing it as truth.

I know what the response will be. PULITZER, PULITZER! Lest we forget that Henry Kissinger and Le Due Tho won Nobel Peace Prizes...

Where you been Fatboy The carnival shut down?

Fatboy just got out of jail last weekend. Me and OleWave had been stealing cows and selling the leather and milk, but I got caught and OleWave made a run for it. I ain't sore or nothing at him; he took care of my old lady while I was locked up.

I read the hundreds of comments on the Chilhowie Topix about this. It is sad some of the parents on there do not care what happened to that player. Chilhowie already got a bad name a couple years back when that man rode through on that horse and the town officials treated him like crap.