Virginia Tech Football

SteveEurkel

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents on the state of Virginia Tech football....

Frank Beamer is analogous to Don Nehlen. The fact that Beamer has a slight edge in recruiting compared to what Nehlen had to work with is one of the reasons he's lasted longer and posted arguably better numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Miami defensively ranks worse than Clemson did and the VT offense made the Clemson D look pretty good. VT is playing better defensively the last few games so they seem to be putting things together. Meanwhile the VT offense is still very much Jekyll & Hyde.

I wouldn't be surprised to see VT score on their first possession and then get stuck in neutral for their next seven possessions to leave the defense hung out to dry again.

VT has the talent to beat a very young Miami team by two touchdowns in my opinion. The question remains for VT, can they play together and be successful.....

I love how Beamer talks out of both sides of his mouth anymore.

He bitches about Todd McShay's comments about the VT offensive system being outdated and analysis of Logan Thomas' NFL draft stock, but always says he never reads/watches the news or internet.

Also, Beamer claims he doesn't think about the past, but how many times has he brought up the ten wins a season bullshit when his team suffers another poor loss???

Miami - 5

VT - 3

Miami will give up 80+ yards of penalties, but the VT offense won't be able to capitalize. The game will last until at least 11:30 pm because both teams are so inept passing the ball that the clock never moves.

Those are my predictions, and I'm sticking to them.

Soooo... That didn't go too well. We discussed a lot in the chatbox, but let's make sure our comments get archived here as well. I feel like in ten years after VT has 7 losing seasons in a row we'll look back on these comments and say, "man we were spoiled." But then again, once you play some way for a certain amount of time, it becomes the expectation.

My main point made in the chat box was my hypothesis that Beamer will stay much too long and go out the way Bowden and Paterno did. Also, VT is going to keep making peripheral changes that won't impact the program at all, causing the team to devolve over the next couple of years. It was fun while it lasted, fellas.

Reading rumors on some other boards... Posting here for fun/discussion...

Weaver retires. Big Beamer slides over the AD position. Little Beamer is your HC.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Weaver retires. Big Beamer slides over the AD position. Little Beamer is your HC.

Thoughts? Opinions?

We would never win more than four games during his tenure. And his tenure would last for at least the 10-15 years Frank is AD. What is there to suggest that he is a competent head coach? Ship him off to the Sun Belt for a couple years, see how he does there, then bring him back if he seems solid.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Wonder why, all of a sudden, my mind flashed to Graham and Doug Marrs? Strange... Anyways, Little Beamer in no way should be HC. I know many people don't agree with this, but there's just as many who do: I'd love to see what Bud Foster would be able to do as HC.

We would never win more than four games during his tenure. And his tenure would last for at least the 10-15 years Frank is AD. What is there to suggest that he is a competent head coach? Ship him off to the Sun Belt for a couple years, see how he does there, then bring him back if he seems solid.

Agreed, but apparently lots believe his stint at USC(e) as position coaches and special teams and recruiting coordinator have paved the road for him. I dunno, but like you I doubt it. Regardless, if he was ever offered the VT job then he's going to get his fair share of time to "right" the ship, IMO. Lots of people thought VT gave Beamer way too much time in the beginning (hindsight is 20/20 for sure) and I'm sure Shane will be graced with the same opportunity (read: x>5 years).

There are a lot of good lower level head coaches (Gus Malzahn) and BCS coordinators (Kirby Smart) that I believe would be a much better alternative to Shane in the beginning. I'm not ignoring the fact that Shane Beamer will be a future VT HC though; it's just a matter of how soon.

Before I get too deep, I want to clarify that I am not saying we fire Frank at all because I do think he still has some more miles left in him. I do believe though that its time to get tough on him and give him the ultimatum to either 1.) make some necessary changes on your staff or 2.) stick your neck out for them and hope you don't hang yourself.

I know many people don't agree with this, but there's just as many who do: I'd love to see what Bud Foster would be able to do as HC.

It would be interesting... but there is definitely a reason that Bud Foster hasn't ever been the head man of a football program and he won't be one at Tech either.

Agreed, but apparently lots believe his stint at USC(e) as position coaches and special teams and recruiting coordinator have paved the road for him. I dunno, but like you I doubt it. Regardless, if he was ever offered the VT job then he's going to get his fair share of time to "right" the ship, IMO. Lots of people thought VT gave Beamer way too much time in the beginning (hindsight is 20/20 for sure) and I'm sure Shane will be graced with the same opportunity (read: x>5 years).

There are a lot of good lower level head coaches (Gus Malzahn) and BCS coordinators (Kirby Smart) that I believe would be a much better alternative to Shane in the beginning. I'm not ignoring the fact that Shane Beamer will be a future VT HC though; it's just a matter of how soon.

Before I get too deep, I want to clarify that I am not saying we fire Frank at all because I do think he still has some more miles left in him. I do believe though that its time to get tough on him and give him the ultimatum to either 1.) make some necessary changes on your staff or 2.) stick your neck out for them and hope you don't hang yourself.

I completely agree with everything you said. A couple more names to add to your second paragraph: Sonny Dykes, Charlie Strong, and (taking it back a couple years) Norm Chow*.

Then again, I don't think the tip-top of Virginia Tech's administration has the balls to hire outside of, or close to, our current football staff make up. It will be interesting to see.

*There is nothing to suggest that any of these people have even the remotest interest in the VT head coaching job. I'm simply naming names who could feasibly be looking to take their careers to a slightly more attractive situation than they are currently in.