Virginia Tech Football

SteveEurkel

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly, I am not a Hokie fan. Far from it, actually. My wife was in the Marching Virginian's for her 5 years in Blacksburg, the last of which was the national championship loss to Florida St. so I am familiar with the program.

I don't understand all of the concern with the Hokie offensive personnel. They have placed just as many offensive players in the NFL as defensive players since 1995 and that is fact, not my opinion. Look it up.

NFL teams will find talent, no matter where it's located and they have found loads of offensive NFL talent in Blacksburg over the years. In my opinion, the entire coaching staff at Virginia Tech do a great job coaching fundamentals and getting the maximum amount of potential out of players other schools overlook. They have never, however, been very good talent evaluators. What I mean by that is, they don't seem to fit personnel to positions very well. They commonly have players drafted by NFL teams only to play other positions at the next level.

With that said, Logan Thomas has never been, and should never be, a quarterback. You can't create Cam Newton, you either are, or never will be.

I don't know if Beamer and Co. should be replaced or not and don't really care. It seems common to me for college basketball coaches to build programs to national championships. See Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski, Lute Olsen and Jim Calhoun. It is far more rare for that to happen in college football. The norm seems to be for a staff to build a program such as Virginia Tech and someone else come in and take it over the top. See Howard Schnellenberger turning things over to Jimmie Johnson in Miami, Bob Devaney to Tom Osborne at Nebraska, Bennie Owen to Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma, Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly at Oregon (admittedly not produced a championship yet but the progression is there) and more recently, the rebuilding of programs like Alabama, LSU and Auburn.

Without previous staff and recruiting talents, the progression of the program would not be there.

I don't know if Beamer and Co. should be replaced or not and don't really care. It seems common to me for college basketball coaches to build programs to national championships. See Jim Boeheim, Mike Krzyzewski, Lute Olsen and Jim Calhoun. It is far more rare for that to happen in college football. The norm seems to be for a staff to build a program such as Virginia Tech and someone else come in and take it over the top. See Howard Schnellenberger turning things over to Jimmie Johnson in Miami, Bob Devaney to Tom Osborne at Nebraska, Bennie Owen to Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma, Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly at Oregon (admittedly not produced a championship yet but the progression is there) and more recently, the rebuilding of programs like Alabama, LSU and Auburn.

Without previous staff and recruiting talents, the progression of the program would not be there.

If Schnellenberger had stayed at Miami, he'd probably have had 10 national championships upon his retirement. I have full confidence in saying this: that man was beloved in Miami to a point that would make Frank Beamer jealous. His decision to bolt to the USFL, when Miami had just won a national title and was primed for more, was quite possibly the dumbest move in the history of coaching.

It took Johnson 3 seasons to win his only natty, including blowing that Fiesta Bowl against Penn State when they outgained the Nittany Lions 3:1.

Admittedly, I am not a Hokie fan. Far from it, actually. My wife was in the Marching Virginian's for her 5 years in Blacksburg, the last of which was the national championship loss to Florida St. so I am familiar with the program.

I don't understand all of the concern with the Hokie offensive personnel. They have placed just as many offensive players in the NFL as defensive players since 1995 and that is fact, not my opinion. Look it up.

My retort: until very recently, UVA had more players in the NFL than VT. Just because the program puts players in the NFL does not mean that the entire unit is solid.

Edited by UVAObserver

My retort: until very recently, UVA had more players in the NFL than VT. Just because the program puts players in the NFL does not mean that the entire unit is solid.

I agree, but if you have talent on the field and "coach em up" as the old ball coach would say, the "unit" becomes a very talented unit. UVA has better coaching now than it has had in a long long time. In my opinion, this is a very important next year or two for VT. They could loose all they have gained over the past 20 years very quickly to their in-state rivals.

Bud Foster speaks to the media after practice and speaks loud and clear!

“Is that … a loaded question?” he said. “I mean, what the [expletive]?"

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybittervirginiatechfootball/2012/10/01/agitated-foster-backs-his-defense-says-execution-of-a-few-plays-to-blame-in-loss/

Edited by bhs7695

“Is that … a loaded question?” he said. “I mean, what the [expletive]?"

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybittervirginiatechfootball/2012/10/01/agitated-foster-backs-his-defense-says-execution-of-a-few-plays-to-blame-in-loss/

...Bud...:D

“Is that … a loaded question?†he said. “I mean, what the [expletive]?"

It may be an endearing thing to VT fans, but it's the reason he's constantly passed over for HC gigs.

Sadly, I think they can be ready for UNC and still lose...

I can see a scenario where the loose out. The team I watched play Pitt and Cincinnati will not come close to beating Clemson or Florida St. UVA is a rivalry game where records won't matter, anything can happen. UNC and Boston College are toss up's at best.

Just sayin!

I carefully avoided reading the early in the week comments, because emotion runs high.

All I want to say on the subject is that now is gut check for the players and coaches. Tech's young players in key positions are going to have to grow up quicker than you would like.

I also think Hokie fans, myself included, have gotten a comfortable with things. Maybe we need to step up our efforts at games and support the team the way we used to.

The talent is there to compete, it is just a case of execution across the board. The defense is better when the offense is executing, and the defense playing lights out helps the offense.

I carefully avoided reading the early in the week comments, because emotion runs high.

I think you would be surprised by the number of people that are no longer mad, or care, about losing, just expecting and accepting it as it is. Most know Beamer isn't going to make changes on his own.

The best description I heard it called was "apathetic resignation".

When I heard that, I was like, that's it! That's what I've had since the Orange Bowl loss to Stanford.

What a pathetic performance. Our defense just got worked by every facet of UNC's offense. Another emotionless, zombie performance from the Hokies. Just a sickening performance from everyone associated with VT's football program.

The defense just appeared to quit. Dropped passes all day. Special teams allowed 14 pts. This group of players looked worse than the team that lost to JMU. Looks like this will be the first Hokie team to finish with a losing record since the 1992 team. Maybe this is what it will take to get some coaching changes.

The defense just appeared to quit. Dropped passes all day. Special teams allowed 14 pts. This group of players looked worse than the team that lost to JMU. Looks like this will be the first Hokie team to finish with a losing record since the 1992 team. Maybe this is what it will take to get some coaching changes.

At least we had a viable excuse against JMU. This is just miserable, unacceptable football.