Virginia Tech Football

SteveEurkel

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Beamer slides over the AD position. Little Beamer is your HC.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Weaver should have been 'out' a long time ago...I'm very cool with that!

As for the quoted portion...not so much.

With Frank as AD and Shane as HC...nothing will change. FB will still be running things "his" way.

Its time for some new blood to breath life back into the Hokies.

I think the Norm Chow mention is someone who lines up alot like Foster. Theres something there that kept them out of the HC gig for a long time. Not sure if its just the interview process or what. Interesting to see how Chow does in Hawaii now that he has his shot.

--Only Bethune-Cookman has scored fewer points (10) than VT (12) vs. Miami this season, which was allowing 32.4 pts/game coming into last night.

--VT had 421 yards of total offense vs. Miami, the 115th ranked defense in the country which was allowing an average of 499 yards/game.

--The Hokies had four red zone possessions and produced only six points, turning the ball over twice.

--And this from Andy Bitter...

The stats will say Tech ran for 222 yards, but it's misleading. Seventy-three of those yards came on Thomas' run, when a linebacker slipped and created a huge hole for him to run through in the middle of the defense.

Take that out and the Hokies had 149 yards, only 98 of which came from their tailbacks. Gregory had 10 carries for 50 yards, Michael Holmes had eight for 25 and J.C. Coleman had five for 23, the opposite of the paring down of the running back rotation coaches had spoken about this week.

"There's no question we'd like to run the ball better," Beamer said.

The split of carries was bizarre. Coleman, who coaches said was assuming a larger role, didn't have a carry in the first quarter. Holmes, who coaches said was getting a reduced role, got significant time. Beamer's answer for why was perplexing.

"We kind of got down to packages a little bit and trying to take advantages of guys' skills," Beamer said. "Those packages weren't called there in the first part of the game. We'd like to get Holmes going, get him back there at the tailback position. Let him get going. ... Just the way the game went was J.C.'s deal."

Further proof that the offensive coaches have NO IDEA what they are doing.

Last nights game brought to mind a quote from the legendary John McKay who had a great career at USC and a horrid career with Tampa Bay. When asked about his teams execution that day he said "I'm in favor of it."

The first quarter was a great snapshot of the season. Poor execution on offense, poor execution on defense and poor execution on special teams. Fundamental breakdowns at times in all phases of the game.

--Only Bethune-Cookman has scored fewer points (10) than VT (12) vs. Miami this season, which was allowing 32.4 pts/game coming into last night.

--VT had 421 yards of total offense vs. Miami, the 115th ranked defense in the country which was allowing an average of 499 yards/game.

--The Hokies had four red zone possessions and produced only six points, turning the ball over twice.

Yeah I read Bitter @ 2 a.m. The only thing I thought he missed was that it is just 4 or 5 plays a game, like Beamer says, except it is the same 4 or 5 things week after week.

Yeah I read Bitter @ 2 a.m. The only thing I thought he missed was that it is just 4 or 5 plays a game, like Beamer says, except it is the same 4 or 5 things week after week.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Even she gets it...

insanity.jpg

I do believe though that its time to get tough on him and give him the ultimatum to either 1.) make some necessary changes on your staff or 2.) stick your neck out for them and hope you don't hang yourself.

No one has enough power/backbone at VT to make Beamer do anything that he doesn't want to do first right now. Since he threatened to leave for UNC so many years ago and got the big contract, he has more power/pull than anyone in the history of the Blacksburg campus.

Just listen to Stiney try to put together an answer in interviews........

Does anyone think that guy can put together a game plan and teach players???? Or show any sort of leadership for that matter????

Does anyone think that guy can put together a game plan and teach players???? Or show any sort of leadership for that matter????

LOL! Somebody posted on TSL about how BS was stuttering and stammering during his post game interview. They couldn't believe it and thought he was just extremely lost for words because of the perfomance...

I replied, "so, he sounded normal..."

Apparently, they'd never heard him speak before.

The only time I've heard people speak positively of Stiney is when they mention that he's a good recruiter. Is that enough to keep him around for year after year?

LOL! Somebody posted on TSL about how BS was stuttering and stammering during his post game interview. They couldn't believe it and thought he was just extremely lost for words because of the perfomance...

I replied, "so, he sounded normal..."

Apparently, they'd never heard him speak before.

I saw that! hahaha

I'll agree that he sounded (more) defeated last night after the game, but so did Foster. Bryan has been talking that way for years whether they've won or lost. Heck I've watched clips of him on Beamerball addressing the team at half time in the locker room over the years. It looks to me that the players are halfway tuning him out. I know I would have trouble being inspired to play listening to something like that. He just doesn't sound like he can lead or exhibit confidence.

Now, granted, Foster has his grammatical flaws as well when he speaks about football throwing 168 "Ya knows" into his answers post game, but his emotion and style just beams confidence and passion to me.

A couple of more things I'll add 1) about the timeout before the half that Beamer argued about. I know the Miami player was injured and everyone could clearly see that while Beamer called his time out right before it was noticed by the officials that the Miami player was injured. Was there not one player or coach for VT that heard the head of the officiating crew come over the PA system and say that there was a player injured and that VT WAS NOT charge a time out? Did no one even think to look at the clock when the ball was ready for play and the play clock started? Wow!

2) Here is a little more proof that the offensive staff for the most part doesn't have a clue during the game. A friend of my in Blacksburg emailed me this morning with this: "As I mentioned to you, O'Cain said at the Blacksburg Sports Club luncheon that everything is happening so fast that he gets confused on what he has already run and what he needs to run. This is the guy who is now calling in the offensive plays? I think there was a little confusion going on last night, whatta ya think?"

Huge issues and problems within the Virginia Tech Athletic Department.

To start with, there is nobody in charge who can/will force any changes to be made. Sympathetic as I am to Jim Weaver's health condition, allowing him to effectively retire in place is causing significant (and possibly irreparable) harm to the program. Of course, he should have been encouraged to move on back in 2000 when Beamer effectively emasculated him in terms of authority.

The clock management issue at the end of the first half ought to be the "Benghazi-gate" episode for the football staff. This is one of the highest paid groups in the entire nation, yet not one of them apparently had the ability to glance at a scoreboard within the stadium to note that the clock was still running.

Back in 2005, Whammy Ward and Danny Pearman were pushed out to make way for Curt Newsome, Mike O'Cain, and Kevin Rogers. Rogers has since moved on. Ward is the DC at South Carolina. Pearman is Assistant Head Coach at Clemson. Many years since then, but how has Tech fared in the balance of that transaction?

Been a Hokie all of my life and always will be. But I am no fan of either Beamer or Weaver right now. And I've been convinced of Steger's idiocy since my days as a student in the College of Architecture.

The Dooley years were pretty tough to endure. The guy cut some corners as AD, but there is nothing to suggest that he was anywhere near as incompetent as the present administration in Blacksburg.

Going to be a long and bumpy ride in Blacksburg for many years to come, I fear.

A couple of more things I'll add 1) about the timeout before the half that Beamer argued about. I know the Miami player was injured and everyone could clearly see that while Beamer called his time out right before it was noticed by the officials that the Miami player was injured. Was there not one player or coach for VT that heard the head of the officiating crew come over the PA system and say that there was a player injured and that VT WAS NOT charge a time out? Did no one even think to look at the clock when the ball was ready for play and the play clock started? Wow!

I agree that the coaching staff should have noticed that the clock was running. However, the time management issues happened on the play that LT ran on 2nd down and got within an inch of getting the first down, making it 3rd and an inch. I think Beamer expected the officials to stop the clock to measure and when they didnt, he called for a timeout (clearly shown on TV). The officials then measured, but instead of giving VT the timeout they started the clock again after they measured. Beamer and the team thought they had a timeout so they took their time getting set for the 3rd down play, it wasn't until after the next play when they got the first down that Beamer realized that the clock had been running the entire time.

Source: I just watched the plays in question again on ESPN 3.

I agree that the coaching staff should have noticed that the clock was running. However, the time management issues happened on the play that LT ran on 2nd down and got within an inch of getting the first down, making it 3rd and an inch. I think Beamer expected the officials to stop the clock to measure and when they didnt, he called for a timeout (clearly shown on TV). The officials then measured, but instead of giving VT the timeout they started the clock again after they measured. Beamer and the team thought they had a timeout so they took their time getting set for the 3rd down play, it wasn't until after the next play when they got the first down that Beamer realized that the clock had been running the entire time.

Source: I just watched the plays in question again on ESPN 3.

Thanks for this BBA. It got confusing watching in real time while listening to the radio and TV announcers at the same time try to explain what was going on and when. Beamer in his post game radio was a little hard to follow as well as to what happened. I didn't believe he was entirely sure either as he was trying to explain.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in various places, VT fans are dreaming of the day Tony Franklin runs our offense. It seems like there's both a huge upside and a huge downside that follows Franklin everywhere he goes. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

So, in various places, VT fans are dreaming of the day Tony Franklin runs our offense. It seems like there's both a huge upside and a huge downside that follows Franklin everywhere he goes. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Open the checkbook and hire Franklin yesterday! Franklin and Bud Foster were teammates at Murray State, so maybe that would help. Fire Newsome, Fire O'Cain, move Stiney back to OL coach and give the Offense to Franklin!

Open the checkbook and hire Franklin yesterday! Franklin and Bud Foster were teammates at Murray State, so maybe that would help. Fire Newsome, Fire O'Cain, move Stiney back to OL coach and give the Offense to Franklin!

Beamer was the D-coordinator and HC, so yeah he knows Franklin.

Do you think there could be a reason why he has bounced around. Lets see UK, Troy, Auburn, MTSU and LA Tech not to mention some HS time when he was blackballed after the Hal Mumme mess at Kentucky.

I will say his offense is innovative. I am curious as to that baggage he may carry.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT retain Stiney as the O-Line coach. That's when the O-line play started going downhill when he took it over in my opinion.

Not sure if Tony Franklin is the answer either. I would be happy with the power running offense if they would stick with one thing and do it right!! Just pick something and stop with the multiple sets for shit's sake