The sign that's causing alot of fuss

battleftbl

*For the record, I would not have been a parent/onlooker to complain. I would have rolled my eyes but the message was positive. I could easily explain to my kids the situation and circumstances without problem. But not everyone is so lighthearted and forgiving.

What would your husband say about it though?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) It's a public school. It is not restricted to that of Christian faith.

2) Expressing your faith is fine. Wear a cross, pray, meditate, do whatever. Do it on your own time without influencing others.

3) Throwing it on a sign as a representation of the school gives it an appearance of organized faith which can suppress the opposing views of the minority.

4) My point was, at John Battle, if a group of Muslim students wanted a "Praise Allah" sign, everyone here would have a different tune. The word "freedom" gets tossed around pretty freely until conservative views are offended, then it crosses the line into un-American. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

I don't think the sign is meant to offend, harm, discourage, or attack any one of another faith, religion, or non-faith. I think it's obviously a positive gesture to the football team.. but I think you throw it on a church sign down the road and let high school football be just that.

Again public school or privaate school ..what's wrong with expressing faith..if muslims want to express faith allow it,same for Hindu,etc... Where's tolerance? We live in America right??

Again public school or privaate school ..what's wrong with expressing faith..if muslims want to express faith allow it,same for Hindu,etc... Where's tolerance? We live in America right??

as long as it it the kids idea and not the school saying you have to do this then the kids should have the right to do this. just as any other group would have and if there were muslims or hindus or kids of another faith and they wanted a banner to run thru then why not fair is fair. running thru a banner does not mean you support what the banner says or professes. some may say running thru it is a way of saying i am against this so i will run thru it and knock it down.

running thru a banner does not mean you support what the banner says or professes. some may say running thru it is a way of saying i am against this so i will run thru it and knock it down.

Yeah, that's sound logic.

I say teams start putting "We Suck!" or "We're going to Lose!" on their banners then run through screaming "I do not agree with this message!"

* You shouldn't have to turn away. If people were harassing you over your religious beliefs, you have channels you can go through to make sure that doesn't happen. It's messy, it can lead to other types of harassment, and its often not worth your time. This is what several minorities of religion/culture suffer through every day in America. "What's the use? I can deal with it."

* Why should they have to ignore a religious branding of their school? Is it easy for you to ignore anti-Christian sentiment? I bet it's not. Nothing in this sign was negative, mind you, and that's easier to swallow. Anyone in the stands who enrolled their kid into a public institution and not a religious one for that reason was probably not happy and rightly so.

No one really harassed me personally about being Christian. It was mostly just joking and other types of discussion between others in the class. I remember one time that the joking was going on between the teacher (who was actually one of my favorite teachers in college and still a friend) and some of the other students, the teacher asked me if I was religious. When I said yes I am, the whole atmosphere got really awkward and they all changed the subject really fast. It was kind of funny, and once in a while they'll joke about it with me.

The weird thing is that Virginia Intermont is branded as a Baptist school, yet they can't even follow that brand themselves. We even had a Catholic priest give our pre-graduation ceremony (some kind of religious ceremony, can't remember the name of it). I thought it was a little weird, and so did everyone else, but it was still a good speech. I'd say the schools I went to were pretty tolerant. We'd have arguments over religion and politics daily (even faculty and staff would take up a whole class on the issues, expressing their personal beliefs) but the arguments would eventually turn into pretty good discussions and even though everyone just had to agree to disagree, we at least learned some things. It doesn't really take a college education to be tolerant...but not enough people teach it at home, either these days or in the past.

I say teams start putting "We Suck!" or "We're going to Lose!" on their banners then run through screaming "I do not agree with this message!"

did not say it was sound logic this is just my opinion and you do not have to agree with it. i do not care if you do or not actually. you have the right to say what you want and i have the right to choose not to care what you say about my comments.

Funniest thing I've read all week, lol. I could see a team doing that.

did not say it was sound logic this is just my opinion and you do not have to agree with it. i do not care if you do or not actually. you have the right to say what you want and i have the right to choose not to care what you say about my comments.

Alright, cool.

Best idea anyone's had to this point.

Cool. I'm going to come hang a sign at your local school that says "God is a lie". If you don't like it, don't read it! I'm not forcing you to.

Also, the Westboro Baptist Church called, they want to hang some signs out front as well.

Just ignore them.

Cool. I'm going to come hang a sign at your local school that says "God is a lie". If you don't like it, don't read it! I'm not forcing you to.

Also, the Westboro Baptist Church called, they want to hang some signs out front as well.

Just ignore them.

Are you or Westboro part of the student body? ..these were students right? Let the students express their faith and if others want to express their beliefs ,why not??

Are you or Westboro part of the student body? ..these were students right? Let the students express their faith and if others want to express their beliefs ,why not??

Because... that wouldn't go over well, and you know it. If it can't go over well for everyone, it should probably be left out completely. Just save it for Sundays. You have a whole day of the week to express all kinds of faith.

Because... that wouldn't go over well, and you know it. If it can't go over well for everyone, it should probably be left out completely. Just save it for Sundays. You have a whole day of the week to express all kinds of faith.

Should be. Not "must be". The difference there is clear.

Just as you suggest how religious people should be, so should the students.

Should be. Not "must be". The difference there is clear.

Just as you suggest how religious people should be, so should the students.

Needs to be, must be, should be, could be, would be.

Bottom line: It's a public institution. Doth not belongeth. Clear enough?

I don't get your second sentence..?

"My point was, at John Battle, if a group of Muslim students wanted a "Praise Allah" sign, everyone here would have a different tune. The word "freedom" gets tossed around pretty freely until conservative views are offended, then it crosses the line into un-American. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin." and then Christians are usally hostile.

Are you kidding me? Most local conservatives usually sit on their hands and say nothing until it is to late. I have never seen a hostile christian fly a plane into a building or drive a car bomb into a crowd.

You make the deduction ...it would not go over well.........Well who knows if is never given the chance..You also say..'' Just save it for Sundays'' ....Faith is not a one day a week for Christians or other faith groups... Why not tell the non -believers and atheists to keep their views to themselves just on Monday's ...every other day ...shut up!... America is a land of freedom ...and if other faith groups want to express their faith at a public school they should have the right too.. If it is not mandated by adults but student led and student initiated why is there a problem...

1) It's a public school. It is not restricted to that of Christian faith.

2) Expressing your faith is fine. Wear a cross, pray, meditate, do whatever. Do it on your own time without influencing others.

3) Throwing it on a sign as a representation of the school gives it an appearance of organized faith which can suppress the opposing views of the minority.

4) My point was, at John Battle, if a group of Muslim students wanted a "Praise Allah" sign, everyone here would have a different tune. The word "freedom" gets tossed around pretty freely until conservative views are offended, then it crosses the line into un-American. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

I don't think the sign is meant to offend, harm, discourage, or attack any one of another faith, religion, or non-faith. I think it's obviously a positive gesture to the football team.. but I think you throw it on a church sign down the road and let high school football be just that.

I AM a Christian but I agree with your post 100%! Your last sentence is well stated.

"My point was, at John Battle, if a group of Muslim students wanted a "Praise Allah" sign, everyone here would have a different tune. The word "freedom" gets tossed around pretty freely until conservative views are offended, then it crosses the line into un-American. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin." and then Christians are usally hostile.

Are you kidding me? Most local conservatives usually sit on their hands and say nothing until it is to late. I have never seen a hostile christian fly a plane into a building or drive a car bomb into a crowd.

I am not kidding you. Ever see them try to take the Ten Commandments out of schools? Yeah, if their sitting on their hands, then they must have four arms.

Your examples are of radical extremes are not what I meant by hostility, my apologies.

Edited by deuceswild

You make the deduction ...it would not go over well.........Well who knows if is never given the chance..You also say..'' Just save it for Sundays'' ....Faith is not a one day a week for Christians or other faith groups... Why not tell the non -believers and atheists to keep their views to themselves just on Monday's ...every other day ...shut up!... America is a land of freedom ...and if other faith groups want to express their faith at a public school they should have the right too.. If it is not mandated by adults but student led and student initiated why is there a problem...

To answer every single one of your points, please revert back to everything I've already said.

To answer every single one of your points, please revert back to everything I've already said.

From what I understand you would rather keep freedom of expressing faith to Sunday mornings and out of schools ...I simply expressed what would be the harm to allow all faith groups equal opportunity of expressing faith ,initated and led by students..We live in America and believe in freedom of expression and tolerance...

From what I understand you would rather keep freedom of expressing faith to Sunday mornings and out of schools ...I simply expressed what would be the harm to allow all faith groups equal opportunity of expressing faith ,initated and led by students..We live in America and believe in freedom of expression and tolerance...

"We live in America and believe in freedom of expression and tolerance..."

Do you believe black and white people should marry? Two men can marry and be publicly affectionate? Two women can marry and be publicly affectionate? If you believe these things, I will concede to you that your idea of a Utopian America is possible.