Snow...

I broke down and finally bought a generator today. Even if I don't need it this time, I'm sure I will use it eventually.

Surprised you were able to find one anywhere....Lowes' in Bluefield sold out 4 days ago...

Corporate Lowes is actually holding the Generators on trucks and will ship them out to stores that need them most after storm hits.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surprised you were able to find one anywhere....Lowes' in Bluefield sold out 4 days ago...

Corporate Lowes is actually holding the Generators on trucks and will ship them out to stores that need them most after storm hits.

Luckily they had some at the Abingdon Lowe's. A worker told me they had people from Maryland that drove down to buy one.

Just noticed Dickenson County and a few other counties are in a Blizzard Warning starting at 4 pm tomorrow...interesting

Yep, I figured with all the high wind warnings that if they upgraded they would just combine them with a blizzard warning. NWS in Charleston has Dickenson and Buchanan in VA; McDowell and Wyoming Counties in WV under the Blizzard warning. Expecting 1-6 inches below 2000 ft and over a foot above 2500 ft. A string of counties going up through WV in Charleston's coverage area also under the warning. I expect Blacksburg will probably be issuing either Blizzard or Winter storm warnings shortly.

Blacksburg now issuing winter storm warnings for Tazewell, Smyth, Bath, and Alleghany in VA; Mercer, Summers, Monroe, and Greenbrier in WV. Totals- 4-8 above 2500 ft with locally higher amounts.

Seeing some snow starting to fall already this afternoon, ahead of the predicted schedule for tonight, in some areas. Temps are dropping off quicker than thought.

i got a kerosene heater at lowes in abingdon today...been meaning to get one before winter for months now and if nothing else this got me to cross that off my list...lol.

i still don't think we will get it that bad here in A-town but you never know.

side note: they had a few generators left at $800 a pop if anyone needs them...this was about 5pm.

i'll get one of those myself at some point.

I think it snows on that mountain even when its 60 degrees at the base...Its still raining and 41 here in Clintwood..

Now Black Mountain on the VA/KY line is a place I've seen it near 70 and sunny down in Appalachia and get up to the top and it was snowing and fog was so thick you couldn't see 10 yards ahead of you. Worked up there a while and it wasn't fun. May have seen one day without it being windy.

And speaking of Black Mountain, here was the scene up there a couple of hours ago...

https://twitter.com/TannaLuu/status/262691931992252420/photo/1/large

Just noticed that the Weather Channel has "upped" their snow predictions for the Bluefield area...1"-3" tomorrow, 5"-8" tomorrow night, BLIZZARD on Tuesday. That's 6"-11" before it gets bad.

Most maps they show now are saying two feet possible in southern WV.

Just noticed that the Weather Channel has "upped" their snow predictions for the Bluefield area...1"-3" tomorrow, 5"-8" tomorrow night, BLIZZARD on Tuesday. That's 6"-11" before it gets bad.

Most maps they show now are saying two feet possible in southern WV.

gman seems we both keep up with weather due you agree weather channel tends to over due things or do you think this is legit...im thinking 6-8 inches in our area...thoughts?

gman seems we both keep up with weather due you agree weather channel tends to over due things or do you think this is legit...im thinking 6-8 inches in our area...thoughts?

If the temps are right...more...way more...

Snow is already falling across the region, and a blizzard warning has been issued by the National Weather Service in Charleston for McDowell, Buchanan, Wyoming and Raleigh counties. Mercer, Tazewell and Monroe counties remain under a winter storm warning and high wind warning.

Photo by Eric DiNovo

DiscussionOctober 29, 2012

Hundreds already without power as superstorm blankets the region

Anonymous Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Mon Oct 29, 2012, 03:53 PM EDT

BLUEFIELD — An additional 400 crews with Appalachian Power are now on stand-by in Princeton and Beckley in the event of widespread power outages. Several hundred families in the region were already without power Monday.

Appalachian Power reported 822 outages in Mercer County and 695 in Tazewell County. Virginia remains under a state of emergency, and Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Monday for West Virginia.

“We are going to be lodging people in both Princeton and Beckley because this looks like that is going to be where we expect the worse outages could occur due to this snowfall,†Jerri Matheny, a corporate communications manager for Appalachian Power, said. “They will be starting to move in today so that they will be ready to go tomorrow morning.â€

Matheny said heavy wet snow — combined with strong winds — could result in power outages.

“Our meteorologists predict heavy wet snow totals of 20 inches in some parts of West Virginia, and even 12 inches in the highest ridges in the Virginia, Kentucky borders, and the high elevations in the coalfield counties. Compounding that could be wind. As possibly we could get northwest winds gusting to 45 mph.â€

Life has many choices---eternity two