Union JV Coach quit during 3rd Quarter

battleftbl

The Union Bears JV team played at Sullivan North this past week. North was beating the Bears 34-16 when Union blocked an extra point attempt. When the refs blew the ball dead (correct call) the Union coach walked onto the field and QUIT. Took his ball, his players and went home.

Wow....way to teach your kids to face adversity head on. Guess when times get tough, just quit. Coaching JV football is not about wins/losses.

http://modelcitysports.com/North.htm#UnionQuits

I've been told over the years that this is why "Injun Joe" Garrett can't coach football at Battle anymore (well, nowadays I'm sure it's just because he's old). Pulled his JV team off the field because the players weren't into the game. Not sure the exact reason this coach did what he did, but he should take a page from history: this kind of move will end your career.

That's one way to sugar coat what went on over there... Leaves out a lot tho. I've heard several accounts of this game from both sides (and some who could care less) and from what I've gathered is that the game was called fairly at times, but every time Union got close the game was called completely one sided until North had a comfortable advantage again, causing the game to get chippy. And, at one point the refs were issuing 15 yarders to Union players for throwing forearms while blocking.

Now, the way I see it, once players start getting chippy with one another in a game, the penalties should offset as frequently as possible, because normally it's going both ways. Once a game has gotten to this point, refs can quell or accelerate the situation...and offsetting penalties usually do the trick. When the refs aim all the penalties at one team or another (especially if the road team is having all the calls go against them) it intensifies the situation usually. I realize that if a player commits a flagrant penalty that call has to be made..but I also think that once tensions are running high the refs should penalize for baiting as well (which is permitted in the rule book). Most any time a game gets to the point that an opposing coach packs up and leaves, the refs have lost control. Many times, schools will also use coaches or whoever they can get their hands on to call JV games because the school refuses to hire game officials because of the added expense. But, this isn't the first time teams have had trouble with officials at North, either. One varsity crew was suspended circa 2003 after calling consecutive games involving SWVA/NET teams (PV at Sullivan North and Twin Springs at Unaka). In both instances the games got a little out of hand as the SWVA teams were penalized in the neighborhood of 200 yards and the NET teams were relatively unpenalized (both SWVA teams won the games). So, shenanigans at North isn't a new occurance....and it really takes a class act to write an article as biased as the link provided here as well.

That's one way to sugar coat what went on over there... Leaves out a lot tho. I've heard several accounts of this game from both sides (and some who could care less) and from what I've gathered is that the game was called fairly at times, but every time Union got close the game was called completely one sided until North had a comfortable advantage again, causing the game to get chippy. And, at one point the refs were issuing 15 yarders to Union players for throwing forearms while blocking.

Now, the way I see it, once players start getting chippy with one another in a game, the penalties should offset as frequently as possible, because normally it's going both ways. Once a game has gotten to this point, refs can quell or accelerate the situation...and offsetting penalties usually do the trick. When the refs aim all the penalties at one team or another (especially if the road team is having all the calls go against them) it intensifies the situation usually. I realize that if a player commits a flagrant penalty that call has to be made..but I also think that once tensions are running high the refs should penalize for baiting as well (which is permitted in the rule book). Most any time a game gets to the point that an opposing coach packs up and leaves, the refs have lost control. Many times, schools will also use coaches or whoever they can get their hands on to call JV games because the school refuses to hire game officials because of the added expense. But, this isn't the first time teams have had trouble with officials at North, either. One varsity crew was suspended circa 2003 after calling consecutive games involving SWVA/NET teams (PV at Sullivan North and Twin Springs at Unaka). In both instances the games got a little out of hand as the SWVA teams were penalized in the neighborhood of 200 yards and the NET teams were relatively unpenalized (both SWVA teams won the games). So, shenanigans at North isn't a new occurance....and it really takes a class act to write an article as biased as the link provided here as well.

would have never made it at Carroll County 10 years ago...flag fest every home game.

would have never made it at Carroll County 10 years ago...flag fest every home game.

Certain places you go, that seems to be the case. But, more often than not, a VA team going on the road to play a TN team might as well pack the Vasoline...cuz they are gonna get the shaft...lol

All your points are taken but you never QUIT! As much as winning, coaches should be teaching their players to be men. Quiting is never a recipe for anything good. Sure winning is important just ask our 2010 football team. Nothing as far as the way the game was called went our way. Hugs, tears and broken hearts everywhere but no quit in them!

No matter the excuse he had, there is no excuse for walking your team off the field in the middle of a game. I am sure a lot of those young men were embarrassed to do that. I say forget that coach and let the young men on the team get a coach that really has their best interest at heart!

All your points are taken but you never QUIT! As much as winning, coaches should be teaching their players to be men. Quiting is never a recipe for anything good. Sure winning is important just ask our 2010 football team. Nothing as far as the way the game was called went our way. Hugs, tears and broken hearts everywhere but no quit in them!

No matter the excuse he had, there is no excuse for walking your team off the field in the middle of a game. I am sure a lot of those young men were embarrassed to do that. I say forget that coach and let the young men on the team get a coach that really has their best interest at heart!

This. You NEVER quit. It sends the wrong message to the kids.

That's one way to look at it...but there is no value or sport in an unfairly called game either. If a JV game gets to the point that tempers are boiled over and there is a risk that somebody may do something stupid...I see no problem loading the team up and taking them to the house. It happened to me and my team as a player in middle school. But, the team was never labeled quitters... Maybe the team going 35-4 with 2 State Titles in three varsity seasons (back then 9th graders didn't play varsity where I come from) had something to do with that. But, the point is, in the grand scheme of things JV football isn't very important. So, who cares if they left in the 3rd Quarter....that's better than a player from either team leaving in an ambulance. The thing you have to keep in mind is that 13-15 year olds don't always think their actions through before they act. It's all good to sit around as adults and say "I'd do this" or "I'd do that"...but realize the boys on that field aren't adults, and are subject to make boneheaded decisions that they would regret after everything settled down.

Edited by sup_rbeast

Certain places you go, that seems to be the case. But, more often than not, a VA team going on the road to play a TN team might as well pack the Vasoline...cuz they are gonna get the shaft...lol

Sounds like a VA team going into WV.......

That's one way to look at it...but there is no value or sport in an unfairly called game either. If a JV game gets to the point that tempers are boiled over and there is a risk that somebody may do something stupid...I see no problem loading the team up and taking them to the house.

I disagree. That's what the officials are there for. If a brawl broke out, and the officials lost control, I could see your point. But that wasn't the case here.

That's one way to look at it...but there is no value or sport in an unfairly called game either.

We have people protesting unfairly called games on this website every week. Should their coaches just quit and go home? I think not. Hell, Abingdon would never finish a game if that were the case.

I never said anything negative about the young men. Its the coach that is the leader and pier of the young men. He is in my opinion not worthy to be a leader. He sent a message to the young men that in life when you face adversity just walk off and leave it. Instead of battling through it even when life is treating you unfairly. Battling through those times are part of the recipe for becoming better. Its when you don't quit and fight on even when its not fair that makes winners and not a quitter.

Absolutely the coach at fault and not the players. My opinion is based on your post that he walked off and quit because things was not going his way. Just absolutely the wrong thing to do. Its not the young men here who are to blame.

I dont care if they had 500 yards in penalties....play through it. Wouldnt be the first time a team was beat by bad calls.....but you are the first to quit.

I've also talked to a nuetral observer and said that Union was just flat out getting outplayed. They had turnovers, sacked 4 times, couldnt play special teams. The coach was frustrated and the blown whistle on the blocked XP put him over the edge. *Also, the coach should know the rules, the ball should have been blown dead....Also, you cant throw forearms (flippers) in TN anymore. It's a 15 yard personal foul. The refs were doing their jobs.....the coach apparently doesnt know his.

Even if you are correct and the refs were 1 sided.....you never quit. In 3 years when Sullivan North is beating Union....this bunch is going to lay down. Attitude reflects leadership, sir. I think Travis will tell him to pack his bags.....I know for a fact that his dad would have.

We have people protesting unfairly called games on this website every week. Should their coaches just quit and go home? I think not. Hell, Abingdon would never finish a game if that were the case.

Post of the year

.Also, you cant throw forearms (flippers) in TN anymore. It's a 15 yard personal foul. The refs were doing their jobs.....the coach apparently doesnt know his.

If that's the case, put panties and dresses on them and play flag football... The way I see it football is a game, and there is a rule book set forth governing high school football. (link: https://www.iahsaa.org/football/2012%20Football%20Information/2012%20Football%20Rules%20for%20IA.pdf) If it's not in that rule book it's not illegal. If Tennessee doesn't abide by it, they are playing by a different set of rules, so why even bother to play them.

Even if you are correct and the refs were 1 sided.....you never quit. In 3 years when Sullivan North is beating Union....this bunch is going to lay down. Attitude reflects leadership, sir. I think Travis will tell him to pack his bags.....I know for a fact that his dad would have.

That's laughable...The Tom you knew and played for isn't the same coach he was prior to the mid 90's...he had softened up considerably. By the time you got there Tom had already let HIS OWN PLAYERS quit the team and come back on quite a few occasions. As far as his assistant coaches go, you don't even want me to go there.. (I knew many of them and liked most of them) because they weren't the most stellar cast of characters. Regardless, I highly doubt the JV coach is going anywhere. As far as Sullivan North beating Union in 3 years, maybe they will and maybe they won't...but I'd bet the farm that Battle will not have beaten Union once in that time frame.

Edited by sup_rbeast

I'm telling you...I coach 8th grade football in Tennesee. I prefer throwing the "flipper" when blocking. This is my first year over here and tried to do some of it with our line. Was told that would couldnt do it. I was surprised also. BTW, Tom hadnt softened up when I played. A few kids quit (Josh Fleenor, Tony Galloway) because they couldnt get their way, and Tom benched them. My older brother also played for Tom from 1988-1991. A kid quitting or getting kicked off a team because they dont get their way.....is a whole lot different than a COACH quitting/making his players quit in a game. C'mon man.

I'm telling you right now...I would've notifed him last night after the game that he was no longer needed......and so would any of the head coaches I've worked for or played for. You NEVER QUIT.

Edited by battleftbl

I coached in VA for a few years and every time we went to TN it was drama. Fleenor was one of the players I was referring to. And, the national rule book doesn't make the flipper illegal. If TN uses that set of rules they need to get with the program.

I'm not sure what the deal is. A ref told us in a game.....and then one of our assistants who coached with Harry Fry at Gate City told us we couldnt do it. With all of the concussion stuff, I just assumed that was the reason. I've coached in VA for the last four years, so it was the first I'd ever heard of it. I'm sure thats why the refs were calling it.

BTW, Fleenor quit because he was benched after throwing a fit because Coach Turner wouldnt let him ride home from Sullivan Central with his girlfrield. lol Thats all you need to know about that. He wasnt ready to fill the big shoes left by Turner, Clark and Jessee. Just wasnt a leader.

I'm not sure what the deal is. A ref told us in a game.....and then one of our assistants who coached with Harry Fry at Gate City told us we couldnt do it. With all of the concussion stuff, I just assumed that was the reason. I've coached in VA for the last four years, so it was the first I'd ever heard of it. I'm sure thats why the refs were calling it.

BTW, Fleenor quit because he was benched after throwing a fit because Coach Turner wouldnt let him ride home from Sullivan Central with his girlfrield. lol Thats all you need to know about that. He wasnt ready to fill the big shoes left by Turner, Clark and Jessee. Just wasnt a leader.

I actually know quite a bit about the goings on in Appy at that time...I had relatives working in the Appy schools who were in contact with Turner all the time because of that. Anyways, a forearm to the head has been illegal since the head slap was outlawed back in the day..but the ability to throw a good forearm to the solar plexus is a great tool to learn and have at your disposal.

I agree. I've always taught to aim at the bottom of the shoulder pads. 1-It'll take their breath if it's a solid hit....2) If you get under their shoulder pads, they're on skates.

Either way though, couldnt do it over here across the state line.

The Union Bears JV team played at Sullivan North this past week. North was beating the Bears 34-16 when Union blocked an extra point attempt. When the refs blew the ball dead (correct call) the Union coach walked onto the field and QUIT. Took his ball, his players and went home.

Wow....way to teach your kids to face adversity head on. Guess when times get tough, just quit. Coaching JV football is not about wins/losses.

http://modelcitysports.com/North.htm#UnionQuits

That's sorry.