expansion

kevin

Expect a lawsuit- Maryland will probably find some way to go to court to get the price reduced. Maryland obviously thinks they can do better in the Big Ten financially- can't see it helping attendance or recruiting. The revenue factor may be more iffy than they think- expenses may mount up as well.

ACC messed up not getting WVU. Not that WV brings a huge market but they are centrally located and solid in Football and Basketball. Would have been a good fit imo.

Why doesent the ACC offer membership to Rutgers? The ACC is a much better fit for them and would further expand the ACC into the northeast.

Why does Maryland want to leave the ACC anyway?

ACC messed up not getting WVU. Not that WV brings a huge market but they are centrally located and solid in Football and Basketball. Would have been a good fit imo.

Why doesent the ACC offer membership to Rutgers? The ACC is a much better fit for them and would further expand the ACC into the northeast.

Why does Maryland want to leave the ACC anyway?

1. Academics.

2. No clue. Possibly academics.

3. Revenue.

"Why doesent the ACC offer membership to Rutgers? The ACC is a much better fit for them and would further expand the ACC into the northeast.

Why does Maryland want to leave the ACC anyway?"

Money.

"Big Ten apparently could pay for it, and then defer a portion of Marylands media rights money back into the league to cover it over X number of years."

Hadn't thought of this but you are absolutely correct. Maryland could still make money and pay a hefty departure fee with the Big Ten media rights package they want to negotiate.

"Why doesent the ACC offer membership to Rutgers? The ACC is a much better fit for them and would further expand the ACC into the northeast.

Why does Maryland want to leave the ACC anyway?"

Money.

"Big Ten apparently could pay for it, and then defer a portion of Marylands media rights money back into the league to cover it over X number of years."

Hadn't thought of this but you are absolutely correct. Maryland could still make money and pay a hefty departure fee with the Big Ten media rights package they want to negotiate.

Maryland has always seen itself as academically superior to the rest of the ACC with the exception of Duke. They feel like they fit better with the Big 10. They will find a way to get out of the ACC and into the Big 10. The ACC will go get Connecticut once Maryland leaves.

Once again, the ACC leadership is late to the party and playing catch-up.

I am also reading Florida State is back in discussions with the SEC.

The ACC lookin down on WV for academics is a joke. I mean look at the issues UNC ha shad over the past year. The last one I saw was a football layer plagiarizing at 7th grader.

I thought Rutgers was a solid school with a very good academic tradition?

Is there really that much more money in the B10?

UConn would be a solid replacement for Maryland.

I love college football but am by no means up to speed on the ins and outs of how things work off the field

FSU to the SEC will depend on Florida. Gators will have veto power. The SEC will not add just one- as of yet I have not heard another name mentioned. Think the Big 12 will make a play for FSU and possibly Clemson- depends how much money is on the table.

"Maryland has always seen itself as academically superior to the rest of the ACC with the exception of Duke. They feel like they fit better with the Big 10."

Still feel Maryland is driven by cash. If you compare the Big 10 payout to the ACC and then factor in what they want to get once they land Maryland and Rutgers- Maryland will be getting- on the face of it- a pile of cash. This may not work out as rosy for them as they think.

Outside of basketball- Maryland might have an easier go of it in the Big 10 for their other sports programs.

Here's an interesting take on things:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/18/big-ten-expansion-tv-money/index.html?mobile=n

The University of Maryland's Board of Directors will decide Monday whether to defect from the ACC to the Big Ten. If Maryland decides to leave, Rutgers will join the Terps as their dance partner.

When news first surfaced Saturday that Maryland was considering leaving a nearly six-decade relationship with the ACC to join the Big Ten, many wondered why. The answer is simple: television and money, the two biggest drivers behind the realignment chaos that's indelibly altered the collegiate landscape the past three years.

According to a television executive familiar with the Northeast corridor, the move could ultimately be worth as much as $200 million annually for the Big Ten in cable subscription fees. This is a Pollyannaish figure that's unlikely to ever materialize, but it shows the scope of the potential value. The interesting part, considering the current cable climate, is that the potential move also comes with considerable risk.

There are an estimated 15 million available households in the New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. markets. If the Big Ten Network got on basic cable in all those places, which is an enormous long shot, the per-household figure by the time Rutgers and Maryland joined the league would project in the neighborhood of $1.25 per month. That would equate to about $200 million per year.

The risk comes because none of that money is guaranteed. Considering the struggles the Pac-12 has had with DirecTV and the distribution issues surrounding the Longhorn Network, it's clear cable subscribers automatically handing over distribution is far from a given. (The Lakers have struggled to obtain distribution in Los Angeles this season, yet another sign of a new era in cable TV.)

"It's a long fight," the television executive, who has no connection to the move, said of the Big Ten cashing in on Maryland and Rutgers. "That's the potential. There's a lot of negotiating to happen before that."

While getting all 15 million homes is unlikely, this could potentially be a $100 million annual television windfall for the Big Ten. (That figure doesn't include the additional money that will come from the added markets and games when the Big Ten negotiates its next television contract in 2017.) It's estimated that the Big Ten's annual payout could increase to between $30-35 million per year, nearly double the ACC's $17 million payout.

There's optimism about the possibility for significant cable pickup in the Maryland and Washington areas, where the Terps have a strong presence. The same can't be said for Rutgers, which has little recent history of local relevancy in football or basketball.

"Rutgers is the wild card here," said the executive. "Rutgers in New Jersey and New York City isn't Ohio State in Ohio. Is it possible that the interest in Rutgers in the corridor is so marginal that no one is willing to carry it in that corridor? Is it possible that Rutgers doesn't resonate enough to justify 1.25 across any of the subscribers?"

One potential piece of leverage the Big Ten will have is FOX and News Corp's reported attempt to purchase the YES Network, which could help strong-arm the Big Ten into the New York market.

But with big potential comes big risk. This move will not come without some drama.

"Hey, it could be big money," said the executive. "But it's a lot of risk. Rutgers isn't the Yankees. It will be interesting to tell."

I thought snowballs had a better chance in Hell than did Maryland of leaving the ACC. See my quote below. Being virtually bankrupt in Athletics, I'm shocked and amazed that Maryland would do this. Good riddance. At least that fills 1 OOC game every year for us.

Announcement to come at 3:00 PM.

Edited by UVAObserver

I thought snowballs had a better chance in Hell than did Maryland of leaving the ACC. See my quote below. Being virtually bankrupt in Athletics, I'm shocked and amazed that Maryland would do this. Good riddance. At least that fills 1 OOC game every year for us.

Announcement to come at 3:00 PM.

Maryland accepts deal to big ten

Rutgers will announce Tuesday.

This could be interesting- outside of Jersey itself don't think Rutgers has a much of a fan base in metro Philly or NYC.

One factor influencing Maryland could be the simple fact that the state has changed orientation. Sixty years ago a lot of people would have considered Maryland a Border or even an Upper South state. This has changed dramatically with an influx of new people and the explosive growth of the DC suburbs. The area has changed a tremendous amount since I was there in the mid-seventies. There is probably a feeling that the newcomers may not be totally in love with the move but will accept it and that the older- more loyal to the Acc- alumni just don't matter.Even with the addition of BC, Pitt etc. no doubt a great many of those in influential positions in Maryland look on the ACC as a Southern slanted conference.

Should be curious as to how long it will take the ACC to invite UConn.

Rutgers will announce Tuesday.

This could be interesting- outside of Jersey itself don't think Rutgers has a much of a fan base in metro Philly or NYC.

One factor influencing Maryland could be the simple fact that the state has changed orientation. Sixty years ago a lot of people would have considered Maryland a Border or even an Upper South state. This has changed dramatically with an influx of new people and the explosive growth of the DC suburbs. The area has changed a tremendous amount since I was there in the mid-seventies. There is probably a feeling that the newcomers may not be totally in love with the move but will accept it and that the older- more loyal to the Acc- alumni just don't matter.Even with the addition of BC, Pitt etc. no doubt a great many of those in influential positions in Maryland look on the ACC as a Southern slanted conference.

Should be curious as to how long it will take the ACC to invite UConn.

This latest move seems to be based entirely on TV markets and, to a much lesser exctent perceptions of academic quality (Maryland and Rutgers are both AAU members). There was an odd comment about the fact that they are both in states that are contiguous to the Big Ten footprint. But this mainly has the look of a pure business decision based on expectations of profit. And a pretty shrewd one at that.

If the ACC completely unravels (and I sincerely hope with all hope that it does not), I think that Virginia Tech will land in the SEC. And under such an "all other bets are off" scenario, I wouldn't be surprised to see UVa and Georgia Tech join Maryland in the Big Ten.

Very interested in the opinions of others about this. (What say you in particular, UVAO?)

Interesting fan post from an FSU supporter who claims to be “in the know:”

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I left the ACC for a gig with an NFL team.

When I was with the ACC and FSU and MD voted against the increase we were told by our attorneys that if someone was going to challenge the 50 million exit fee it would need to occur before the next school year.

Changing the rules in the middle of a school year was a move that the ACC knew could backfire.

However we were told that if FSU and MD were still members when the next school year started they were locked in. JS was never too worried about MD leaving, candidly no one thought about them leaving. FSU leaving was a concern.

Personally MD has some major financial issues they cut like 7-8 sports because of budget problems. They fail to fill their stadium which only holds like 50,000 anyway.

My personal opinion is that this is a move driven by Plank to gain more visibility for UA.

I also think that the ACC will add Conneticut and it will be a lateral move in football, and a step up in basketball and baseball.

Alot of people will clamor to knock the ACC about adding UConn but as a replacement for MD it is an even swap. Look at the possibilities that are out there.

Personally I still think FSU stays in the ACC, and I still think the Big 12 stays at 10.

We never thought that another conference would target MD, I still find it hard to believe

We knew any conference outside the SEC would welcome FSU

If the ACC completely unravels (and I sincerely hope with all hope that it does not), I think that Virginia Tech will land in the SEC. And under such an "all other bets are off" scenario, I wouldn't be surprised to see UVa and Georgia Tech join Maryland in the Big Ten.

Very interested in the opinions of others about this. (What say you in particular, UVAO?)

First, I think that the ACC is fine, and that there far too many Chicken Littles on the internet. Which makes the rest of this post practically useless.

Second, I think that, for better or worse, UNC/Duke and VT/UVA are inextricably linked.

In the doomsday scenario, I think the SEC would jump at the chance to acquire the geographic footprint of the old Confederacy. I think SEC would pass on UNC/Duke and take NC State as #14. That leaves VT/UVA or UNC/Duke. Athletically, UVA is just as good a fit for the SEC as VT. VT's football program is the key, but UVA is strong in baseball and swimming/diving, where VT is not. I just don't know if the conference wants 2 Vanderbilts.

I think Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, and FSU would go to the Big XII - II. Here comes the interesting part. Does the Big XII - II take UNC/Duke, or VT/UVA? I think it takes UNC/Duke, partly for what I described above.

Wake Forest would go to some place like C-USA, where it really belongs.

I could see Pitt/Syracuse/BC jockeying for position in the Big XIV. Problem is, there may only be 2 spots for them.

There may be some interesting academic ramifications if the General Assembly allows VT/UVA to be split. The established powers at UVA have, for the longest time, been very unhappy with Richmond and a perceived neglect. Part of that comes from the "state-supported v. state-sponsored" distinction, of which VT gets the lion's share. The latest blow comes from McDonnell reappointing Helen Dragas as a Rector (rectrix?). I get the perception that if VT is allowed to join the SEC without UVA, UVA's going to tell Richmond to shove its funding (a shave under 7%). In that case, UVA would proposition the Big XIV, and would likely be a nice plum for them.

First, I think that the ACC is fine, and that there far too many Chicken Littles on the internet. Which makes the rest of this post practically useless.

Second, I think that, for better or worse, UNC/Duke and VT/UVA are inextricably linked.

In the doomsday scenario, I think the SEC would jump at the chance to acquire the geographic footprint of the old Confederacy. I think SEC would pass on UNC/Duke and take NC State as #14. That leaves VT/UVA or UNC/Duke. Athletically, UVA is just as good a fit for the SEC as VT. VT's football program is the key, but UVA is strong in baseball and swimming/diving, where VT is not. I just don't know if the conference wants 2 Vanderbilts.

I think Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, and FSU would go to the Big XII - II. Here comes the interesting part. Does the Big XII - II take UNC/Duke, or VT/UVA? I think it takes UNC/Duke, partly for what I described above.

Wake Forest would go to some place like C-USA, where it really belongs.

I could see Pitt/Syracuse/BC jockeying for position in the Big XIV. Problem is, there may only be 2 spots for them.

There may be some interesting academic ramifications if the General Assembly allows VT/UVA to be split. The established powers at UVA have, for the longest time, been very unhappy with Richmond and a perceived neglect. Part of that comes from the "state-supported v. state-sponsored" distinction, of which VT gets the lion's share. The latest blow comes from McDonnell reappointing Helen Dragas as a Rector (rectrix?). I get the perception that if VT is allowed to join the SEC without UVA, UVA's going to tell Richmond to shove its funding (a shave under 7%). In that case, UVA would proposition the Big XIV, and would likely be a nice plum for them.

I'll happily go with your first instinct.

Although, on a tangent....

I think UVa probably should tell Richmond to go scratch. That might shake the General Assembly out of its 20-something year slumber and force the powers that be to do something about educational funding throughout the Commonwealth.

And on yet another tangent.... Whatever became of the "chartering" effort by UVA, Tech, and W&M?