Coaching Rumor Mill - Hokie Edition

Hacker

While at Temple in 2011 they were 39th in scoring offense ...35th in red zone efficiency

7th in rushing offense

I would suggest crossing the fingers....

I wish Tech the best... as some have stated...they need an identity and perhaps, Loeffler will at least give them an identity... and it couldn't get any worse, so Tech fans can hope for the best.

Stinespring had his chance...and 2nd chance....and 3rd chance...

I hope you're right about him, BigD. Auburn was a stone cold mess last year. Hopefully that was the reason he was so unsuccessful.

Hokie07, I live Alabama and Auburn football on a daily basis. Chizik only started micro-managing when it was too late to do anything else. I am constantly talking to Auburn fans, both in person and on message boards, and this is the first time I have heard Chizik's name mentioned in reference to offensive play calling. I doubt seriously if that's true. I'm not saying he didn't make suggestions from time to time, but Loeffler ran the offense. However Chizik definitely took control of the defense halfway through the season. That's his forte. But offense has never been Chizik's strong suit. I will say Loeffler had the cards stacked against him from the beginning. Auburn tried to switch from a HUNH spread to a more conventional run-oriented smash mouth offense in 2012, and it failed miserably. He didn't have the players suited for that type offense. But make no mistake, Loeffler had full control of the offense the entire season.

Hokie07, I live Alabama and Auburn football on a daily basis. Chizik only started micro-managing when it was too late to do anything else. I am constantly talking to Auburn fans, both in person and on message boards, and this is the first time I have heard Chizik's name mentioned in reference to offensive play calling. I doubt seriously if that's true. I'm not saying he didn't make suggestions from time to time, but Loeffler ran the offense. However Chizik definitely took control of the defense halfway through the season. That's his forte. But offense has never been Chizik's strong suit. I will say Loeffler had the cards stacked against him from the beginning. Auburn tried to switch from a HUNH spread to a more conventional run-oriented smash mouth offense in 2012, and it failed miserably. He didn't have the players suited for that type offense. But make no mistake, Loeffler had full control of the offense the entire season.

That's cool and all, and I don't doubt you. Just posting what I read on a Rivals...

Here are a couple quotes verbatim:

Loeffler is a solid coach. Don't let our season worry you. Chizik was the problem, not Lefty. Word on our end is that Chizik (a former DC) had his own play call sheet for the Offense and would override alot of Loefflers play calls. Jeff Grimes is an awesome recruiter if you guys hire him. Tough to tell on his coaching ability as his first two years here our OL had started for who years prior to his arrival. We didn't have much success with the guys he recruited and coached up the last two years. We had 5 1000 yard rushers in 4 years as OL coach so he was doing something right.

The last game he was the OC was the Clemson game and he called a great game. By the third game, Chizik, a former DC, had the fricking offensive play call sheet with his fvcking little reading glasses on the sideline. I remember saying to the TV "WTF are you doing with the plays? Youre a former DC!"

Also, I believe Scarbinsky, a local reporter, wrote an article after GC was fired saying the OC used to receive his strategy for the week back from GC with red marks all over it. GC was a meddler that thought he was God's gift to football coaching.

I don't doubt it was posted, but it's an emotional exaggeration. Loeffler called the plays for the entire season. Chizik was the head coach. Of course he had input. You think Saban doesn't have input on his offense? Or Beamer? Of course they do. I wouldn't put too much credence into what a poster on Rivals has to say.

Edited by blueinbama

I don't doubt it was posted, but it's an emotional exaggeration. Loeffler called the plays for the entire season. Chizik was the head coach. Of course he had input. You think Saban doesn't have input on his offense? Or Beamer? Of course they do. I wouldn't put too much credence into what a poster on Rivals has to say.

Dang I hope Beamer didn't have any input on our play calling. If he did he is dumber than what people know because VT's play calling under Suckspring was horrid at best.

Well, as a Colts fan, thank goodness that Stiney didn't sign with the Colts for the Offensive Line Coach.

Stinespring is a good position coach. I guess some of you are too young to remember but he was very highly regarded when he was just the offensive line coach.

Stinespring is a good position coach. I guess some of you are too young to remember but he was very highly regarded when he was just the offensive line coach.

True but he sucked as an OC...

Listen to Hermie Sadler on John Boy & Billy. Terrible accent. Sounds like someone pretending to be Cajun and failing miserably.

Hermit sounds exactly like what he is, a good ole boy from Emporia.

I remember they thought he was an up and comer as a coach, but I'm of the opinion that the o-line as a whole fell off steadily after J B Grimes left in '97 and Stiney took it over.

Hermit sounds exactly like what he is, a good ole boy from Emporia.

Not saying he's not a good ol' boy. I'm sure he is. But as I said before, the southern VA accent sounds like someone trying to sound Cajun and doing a very poor job at it. It's not exactly an accent that makes me place one in high esteem.

Accents in general from native American English speakers just bother me. It's not really that hard to speak semi-proper English if you have any kind of self-awareness. Some accents, like the midwestern "Minnesoota" accent, are gentle and make me feel at ease. Most, however, do not. Here's a list of a few that are bothersome.

(1) The inability of New Englanders to say the letter "R".

(2) The inability of Tennesseans to properly say the letter "I".

(3) The ability of New Yorkers to somehow fit a long "I" sound beside every vowel.

(4) The ability of western Pennsylvanians to only get the first and last letters of a word right.

(5) The Southside VA accent, for the reasons I say above.

(6) The Tidewater VA accent: "hoe, no, brohn, coe".

(7) The NOVA accent: they don't use enough air to finish a sentence, so the sentence sounds raspy and trails off at the end.

(8) The SWVA accent, to a limited extent: because I've lost about 25% of my hearing over the years, and I often can't tell if "ahrn" is "iron" or "arm".

This is not a reflection on the quality and merit of said people. But it's a large pet peeve of mine.

Leoffler may be highly regarded...but his performance as an OC blows monkey balls. At Auburn...115th in Total Offense, 116th in 3rd Down Conversions, 119th in 1st Downs, 91st in INTs, 112th in Passing Offense, 78th in Rushing Offense, 112th in Scoring Offense.

Even with Temple he wasn't really impressive. On the surface, it looks good...7th in Rushing Offense and 33rd in Pass Efficiency. But when you look further, 3 QBs combined for 11 TDs, 4 INTs, and 7 yards per attempt on the YEAR. Furthermore the leading receiver was a TE with a whopping 35 catches for 479 yards..lol... IMO that's not very impressive considering he was a QB coach before an OC...plus, Temple is in the MIGHTY MAC..(sarcasm)

Yeah, he coached Brady at Michigan and Tebow at Florida...that might explain why Brady wasn't drafted until the 6th round and Tebow shouldn't have been drafted at all. NFL coaches brought out the best in Brady, but Tebow is a lost cause as long as he's playing QB.