Coaching Rumor Mill - Hokie Edition

Hacker

I know all kinds of names have been bandied about as possible new hires, including most recently Mike Bobo.

So I have decided to create my own rumor. Dana Bible will be Tech's next OC. He has a proven track record as an OC and had a hand in the development of Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson.

This is based upon absolutely nothing concrete, just like all the crap on talk radio and ESPN.

I know all kinds of names have been bandied about as possible new hires, including most recently Mike Bobo.

So I have decided to create my own rumor. Dana Bible will be Tech's next OC. He has a proven track record as an OC and had a hand in the development of Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson.

This is based upon absolutely nothing concrete, just like all the crap on talk radio and ESPN.

Quick, do the following:

(1) Make a Twitter account.

(2) Get like 5 buddies to be your friends.

(3) Post "Chip Kelly leaving Oregon to be VT's OC".

(4) Get said 5 buddies to copy people and tweet the Hell out of it.

(5) Get mentioned by fan websites.

(6) In a day, when everyone's found you out, post half-assed "retraction" where you don't admit fault.

(7) Repeat 1-6 about ANYTHING.

Quick, do the following:

(1) Make a Twitter account.

(2) Get like 5 buddies to be your friends.

(3) Post "Chip Kelly leaving Oregon to be VT's OC".

(4) Get said 5 buddies to copy people and tweet the Hell out of it.

(5) Get mentioned by fan websites.

(6) In a day, when everyone's found you out, post half-assed "retraction" where you don't admit fault.

(7) Repeat 1-6 about ANYTHING.

Ha! Exactly. All the while, Shane Beamer has already assumed the position of OC.

Virginia Tech interviews former Auburn assistant coaches Scot Loeffler and Jeff Grimes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/virginia-tech-interviews-former-auburn-assistant-coaches-scot-loeffler-and-jeff-grimes/2013/01/14/0cb0a558-5e8a-11e2-90a0-73c8343c6d61_blog.html

Virginia Tech Coach Frank Beamer has yet to officially announce any openings to his offensive coaching staff, but the Hokies hosted two candidates on campus Monday.

Former Auburn offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler and former Auburn offensive line coach Jeff Grimes were in Blacksburg to meet with Beamer about potentially taking the same positions at Virginia Tech, according to two athletic department officials with direct knowledge of the situation.

One person said, however, that neither Loeffler nor Grimes have been hired by the Hokies as of Monday afternoon. Virginia Tech’s search for new offensive coaches has been ongoing since the Hokies’ worst season in 20 years ended last month in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

More to come…

That's about as uninspiring a hire as you could ever have.

Did well at Temple in 2011 with Al Golden's leftovers, then bolted to Auburn in 2012 and led a disastrous campaign as its OC.

Agreed. This whole ordeal has been one giant fustercluck...

That's about as uninspiring a hire as you could ever have.

Did well at Temple in 2011 with Al Golden's leftovers, then bolted to Auburn in 2012 and led a disastrous campaign as its OC.

The other name that's been floated is former Oklahoma OC Chuck Long. They called him Chuck "Third and" Long. In other words, par for the course.

The odds of UVA winning in Scott next year just tripled.

They just replaced the worst OC in the history of football... How can that not be an improvement? Of the names mentioned (after Hamilton said no) Loeffler is the one I wanted.

They just replaced the worst OC in the history of football... How can that not be an improvement? Of the names mentioned (after Hamilton said no) Loeffler is the one I wanted.

Please explain why.

With Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley and Jonathan Wallace taking turns at quarterback in 2012, Loeffler's offense at Auburn was 115th in the nation in yardage (305 per game) and 112th in scoring (18.7 per game). Tech just went from bad to worse.

Auburn was 3-9 last season, with a league low 0-8 record in the SEC.

His offense last season at Auburn was dead last in the SEC and 118th nationally in total offense.

OK, but you overlook the fact that he was given the task of changing Malzahn's spread, no huddle, pass-heavy offense into a more "pro-style" (whatever that means), run-first offense. In the SEC. That's not going to translate to success overnight, and that's more or less the timeframe he was given to succeed there.

I'm not saying he's going to transform VT's offense into the best in the country, but surely he can get slightly above average results from this team, right? That's all I ask.

Please explain why.

With Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley and Jonathan Wallace taking turns at quarterback in 2012, Loeffler's offense at Auburn was 115th in the nation in yardage (305 per game) and 112th in scoring (18.7 per game). Tech just went from bad to worse.

Rumor at Auburn was that Chizik micro-managed, especially when he was on the hot seat. He overruled Loeffler all the time and would call the offensive plays the majority of the time, leaving Loeffler's plan in the dust. I didn't watch a lot of Auburn games, but some fans noted that Chiz always had the offensive play sheet in his hands on the sideline. Chizik is/was a DC, not an OC. That might explain it.

This info is actually from Auburn fans on another board I read. Odd that most of them stick up for Loeffler and everyone else on staff except for Chizik. Take that for what it's worth. I don't expect this guy to work miracles, but I am glad that someone took the initiative to at least give the offense a shot to get better in Blacksburg.

Please explain why.

I never been one to use a single season as a gauge. I've looked at his coaching history. I've watched video of him talking about his offensive philosophy. And I've read glowing reviews from people who have coached with and played for him. I think if he's left alone to run the offense (and I believe he will be) then he will excel.

I agree with prior comment from Big Dave, this guy can't be any worst then Stiney. Bryan had no clue how to gameplan or run an offense and his units got worse each year.

Face it, VT isn't going to bring in a "sexy" hire when they are most likely going to look at VT as a stepping stone to something bigger. Beamer wants someone who wants to be there for several years.

His offense last season at Auburn was dead last in the SEC and 118th nationally in total offense.

While at Temple in 2011 they were 39th in scoring offense ...35th in red zone efficiency

7th in rushing offense

I would suggest crossing the fingers....

Stinespring's offense was better.

Numbers don't lie.

Better for opponents maybe. You made the comment that Loeffler had success at Temple with someone else's leftovers.... But the same can be said about his lack of success at Auburn. As for Stinespring's numbers... he's had more talent than any OC in Tech history. We will see how Loeffler's numbers look in a few years with similar talent.