Nice Buchanan County Elk

better than the rattlesnakes they dumped in there a few years ago...who in the hell decided Grundy was a good place to start dumping wild animals????

If I'm not mistaken, the elk were placed in Kentucky, and given Buchanan County's proximity to it, nature took its course.

You hit a deer, you repair the car. You hit an elk, the hospital repairs you.

Actually, this elk and several more just like it, were released in Buchanan County last year. True, we are in close proximity to Kentucky and some could have possibly migrated over, but this elk and several others were part of a release program to help develop an Elk Herd here in the county.

The Lottery will play out in the near future, beginning first with only 1 winner, which can claim one Elk only. Then it will move on from there.

The county is already using the moniker on brochures, websites and on signs that say , "Welcome to Buchanan County, The Elk Capital of Virginia!"

If I'm not mistaken, the elk were placed in Kentucky, and given Buchanan County's proximity to it, nature took its course.

yeah they were dumped just outside of Grundy.

oh, and just wait until mating season and someone wanders up on one of these in the woods once they get "thick" around here....lol...I hear they are mean around that time.

yeah they were dumped just outside of Grundy.

oh, and just wait until mating season and someone wanders up on one of these in the woods once they get "thick" around here....lol...I hear they are mean around that time.

Aren't we all.

Incorrect. The VDGIF "stocked" 16 elk in Buchanan County last year. There are now 24 total elk, with 8 of the elk are Buchanan County "natives"...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1303532635/Transplanted-elk-herd-at-100-percent-in-Buchanan-County

Elk are native to Virginia....

Incorrect. The VDGIF "stocked" 16 elk in Buchanan County last year. There are now 24 total elk, with 8 of the elk are Buchanan County "natives"...

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1303532635/Transplanted-elk-herd-at-100-percent-in-Buchanan-County

we also went from zero rattlesnakes to killing 3 or 4 a night on Watkins Branch in the course of only a few years...although there are also a lot of copperheads though and always has been the case. I'm not a big fan or rattlesnakes...I think they made a huge mistake putting them in there.

we also went from zero rattlesnakes to killing 3 or 4 a night on Watkins Branch in the course of only a few years...although there are also a lot of copperheads though and always has been the case. I'm not a big fan or rattlesnakes...I think they made a huge mistake putting them in there.

Why in the world did they put rattlesnakes there?

Why in the world did they put rattlesnakes there?

that is a GREAT question! From what I heard it was to promote the owl population if you can believe that...insane if you ask me. They are totally screwing around with the eco system here by introducing things like this. In my opinion, it's not even been 20 years worth of tooling around with it and it's already out of balance. I remember around 1985 you would hardly ever see a deer in Buch. Co....now they are everywhere....thick. I hate to think what the rattlesnakes will be like in another 10 to 20 years....and they are not small either...the ones that were getting killed this year are already up to 6ft.

that is a GREAT question! From what I heard it was to promote the owl population if you can believe that...insane if you ask me. They are totally screwing around with the eco system here by introducing things like this. In my opinion, it's not even been 20 years worth of tooling around with it and it's already out of balance. I remember around 1985 you would hardly ever see a deer in Buch. Co....now they are everywhere....thick. I hate to think what the rattlesnakes will be like in another 10 to 20 years....and they are not small either...the ones that were getting killed this year are already up to 6ft.

That's really weird. I assume that the snake are for the owls to eat maybe? But it's still crazy to use such a dangerous snake.

That's really weird. I assume that the snake are for the owls to eat maybe? But it's still crazy to use such a dangerous snake.

as far as i know, prior to them putting them in here, the rattlesnake had been previously killed off completely...now they are rampant.

I stand corrected, then. I figured that with all the uproar in Buchanan County when Kentucky transplanted the two dozen or so they did 4-5 years ago, it wouldn't have happened. Some did cross the line in the meantime.

I do know they were indigenous to the Appalachians, hence the names Elk Creek, Elkton, etc. that dot the hills here.

I had seen a few killed in my area as a kid in the '90s.

Taz Co? I've heard of them being there...something else that is kinda odd...the skunk population in Taz Co is pretty large, yet over in Buch. Co you hardly ever see/smell them for some reason? You would think they would be just as bad there, but not even close.

...something else that is kinda odd...the skunk population in Taz Co is pretty large, yet over in Buch. Co you hardly ever see/smell them for some reason? You would think they would be just as bad there, but not even close.

All the damn rattlesnakes in Buchanan Co. ate them...

Some of the KY Elk moved into Western Dickenson county. I dont know of any that stayed but some passed thru before goiung back to KY or over to Buchannon Co.

The Rattlesnakes are just rediculious. And dont even talk about a 6ft rattler, I bout $#!t my pants back in the summer when I came across a 16" copperhead in one of our out buildings! lol

Ive noticed alot of Skunks here in the past few years too, at one time they were hardly ever seen

Deer and skunks are all over the place here in the Bristol/Washington County area (I usually see about 10 or more deer every other night/morning on my road alone and possoms, racoons, and skunks galore every day). Snakes are a different story. I usually see a little gardner snake or a black snake every once in a while (which are appreciated for keeping the mice away), but I can't remember the last time I saw a copperhead or anything else.

better than the rattlesnakes they dumped in there a few years ago...who in the hell decided Grundy was a good place to start dumping wild animals????

Wonder if this practice has anything to do with the large number of "idiots" that have been dropped off in Washington D.C.? Could be a similar experiment.........

Wonder if this practice has anything to do with the large number of "idiots" that have been dropped off in Washington D.C.? Could be a similar experiment.........

both are toxic

Taz Co? I've heard of them being there...something else that is kinda odd...the skunk population in Taz Co is pretty large, yet over in Buch. Co you hardly ever see/smell them for some reason? You would think they would be just as bad there, but not even close.

GMan's response is epic, BTW.

I remember, may have been '94 or '95, a neighbor ran into one clearing brush. Pulled out a pistol and blew it's head almost off. He drove it up the street in the back of his pickup, and the whole street came out to gawk. 5 or 6 rattles. I remember being intrigued, but unaware of just how rare they are.

And yes sir, I don't know how there are so many skunks in Tazewell County. Tazewell is downright infested with the SOBs. Not a day goes by that I don't see a new one dead on the side of the road. Don't see nearly as many over in the Abbs Valley area, but I wonder if that's tied to the multiple confirmed mountain lion sightings that the DGIF refuses to acknowledge.

Many years ago used to ginseng with my father, covered a bunch of ground, then the only place you would find rattle snakes was in the ridge valley mountians, Walker, Brushy but did come across a few in the Shorts Gap area called Boyd ridge.

Can't understand these eco people, their creating dangerous problems, friend went coon hunting back in the fall, in the dark felt something smack his leg, had to medivac him.

Have you noticed them skunks seem to be more so in the ridge valley parts of Tazewell co,

lime stone country? more farm country? Have to imagine it revolves around what they feed on and what creates the ideal living conditions for them as well as what might or might not feed on them.