http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_4455f958-86d1-11e2-8291-0019bb30f31a.html

Alpha denies report that mining jobs are returning

Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:46 pm | Updated: 9:47 am, Thu Mar 7, 2013.

HARLAN, Ky. — A contracting company has been taking applications to fill more than 800 coal mining jobs in Kentucky and Virginia, but those jobs appear not to exist.

A company called Professional Contracting LLC has been accepting applications for coal jobs that they said were coming back to the region with the reopening of several mines. Alpha Natural Resources had idled four mines and laid off hundreds of workers in January.

But officials with Bristol, Va.-based Alpha Natural Resources told WYMT-TV that they have no plans to reopen any of the mines. Alpha spokeswoman Samantha Davison said, to her knowledge, Alpha has never been affiliated with Professional Contracting.

Thousands of people have already applied for the jobs. Applicants were told they had to apply in-person at the office in Norton, Va.

If Alpha doesn't want to mine it, somebody else will.... Westmoreland left SWVA in the mid 90s claiming that there was no coal left to make a profit on. So, other folks just came in and made a profit on the coal Westmoreland didn't want to mine. Alpha is just giving the same ol' song and dance sob story that every other coal company has given as they stuffed their pockets with as much loot as they could carry on their way out.

These staffing firms don't just go out and start interviewing without a contract from someone. We'll just have to watch for the other shoe to drop.

Exactly. I seriously doubt it's Alpha...but it's somebody interested in getting some coal out of the ground.

Not sure what's going on but I bought some ANR stock on Monday @ $7.50/share (bottomed shortly thereafter @ $7.37) and its @ $8.77/share now...

If I had the $ thats exactly what I wouyld be doing. Alpha will be strong again in 5-10 years. Just have to wait it out.

Alphas strong, but not as strong as they were. Maybe thats what redtiger was getting at.

A year or so ago it was running about $78/share...then the bottom fell out...