Bluefield, WV At It Again

Princeton and Bluefield, VA, as well as Mercer and Tazewell Counties, had better get on the stick quick with similar ordinances or face an influx of pit bulls. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want an animal that presents such a personal liability. Fire away.

Princeton and Bluefield, VA, as well as Mercer and Tazewell Counties, had better get on the stick quick with similar ordinances or face an influx of pit bulls. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want an animal that presents such a personal liability. Fire away.

The level of liability legally is no greater than an owner who owns a Yorkie, Papillon, or other breed of dog. Dogs are not adjudicated dangerous, at least in VA, until they attack someone. As it should be. In tort, you're given similarly one bite of the apple: knowing of the dog's dangerous propensities.

I don't know why it's so challenging for people to understand why so much of a dog's temperament lies with it's owners. The two meanest dogs I've ever seen in my life were a Jack Russell and a Beagle. The two kindest were a Black Lab and a Doberman/Rottweiler mix. It's almost solely indicative of an owner's level of attention and care.

Just like society today. Legislate against the gun, legislate against the soft drink, and legislate against the dog, and leave the people behind them spotless. God help us...

The level of liability legally is no greater than an owner who owns a Yorkie, Papillon, or other breed of dog.

Never seen or heard of a Yorkie, Papillon, etc..., killing anyone...so yeh, the liability of owning a Pit Bull is much greater...

I had a basset hound that was pretty mean once....he was too slow to kill even a mouse...

Had a mixed dog when I was a little kid, looked stocky and had big jaws like a pit bull....he wasn't very mean, but he killed a couple of other dogs who threatened us when we were little.... He could've caused some serious damage to a person, if he were so inclined,too...

German Shepards, Rottweilers, Bull Mastiffs and Dobermans all have been used as attack dogs, and are fearsome when trained, just like Pit Bulls. Are they being banned?

I find it interesting that no one has commented on the cultural aspect of the ban. Just which part of the community is owning and training these dogs? Answer that question and you will know the real reason for the Board's action.

Edited by Hacker
My English teacher fussed about typos.

German Shepards, Rottweilers, Bull Mastiffs and Dobermans all have been used as attack dogs, and are fearsome when trained, just like Pit Bulls. Are they being banned.

I find it interesting that no one has comment on the cultural aspect of the ban. Just which part of the community is owning and training these dogs? Answer that question and you will know the real reason for the Board's action.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Good post, Hacker.

German Shepards, Rottweilers, Bull Mastiffs and Dobermans all have been used as attack dogs, and are fearsome when trained, just like Pit Bulls. Are they being banned?

I find it interesting that no one has commented on the cultural aspect of the ban. Just which part of the community is owning and training these dogs? Answer that question and you will know the real reason for the Board's action.

While a majority of Pit Bulls are probably owned by African Americans in the City, I've seen plenty of "white folk" with Pit Bulls in Bluefield. Some of you need to take a drive around the City on a nice day...you will see for yourself.

BTW, I don't see nearly as many German Sheps, Rots, BMs, or Dobies in the City of Bluefield as I do Pit Bulls. I would almost bet there are more Pit Bulls in Bluefield than these other dogs combined. Also, as you mentioned, those dogs can be "fearsome when trained"...and that's the difference. Those breeds must be "trained" to be that way. With Pit Bulls, its inherent.

Please note that I said cultural, I could have easily said socio-economic. While the majority may be owned by African Americans, I can assure you that you won't find many in your neighborhood or the Mayor's.

This is certainly part of the "why" as to this action, the other being that the useless Animal Control Officer was bitten by one. I have focused too much on the "why not".

While a majority of Pit Bulls are probably owned by African Americans in the City, I've seen plenty of "white folk" with Pit Bulls in Bluefield. Some of you need to take a drive around the City on a nice day...you will see for yourself.

BTW, I don't see nearly as many German Sheps, Rots, BMs, or Dobies in the City of Bluefield as I do Pit Bulls. I would almost bet there are more Pit Bulls in Bluefield than these other dogs combined. Also, as you mentioned, those dogs can be "fearsome when trained"...and that's the difference. Those breeds must be "trained" to be that way. With Pit Bulls, its inherent.

It's no more inherent than it is with other dogs with small hypothalami in proportion to brain mass, such as Bull Mastiffs, Bull Terriers, Rottweilers, and Dobermans. I have to deal with a large roaming Bull Mastiff every day in my community, because my neighbors are too lazy to walk it. It's run out on me twice. Haven't once had a problem with the 3-4 Pit Bulls.

And you cannot logically get "Pit Bulls don't have to be trained to be violent unlike X, Y, and Z" from Hacker's post.

I can assure you that you won't find many in your neighborhood or the Mayor's.

I know of at least two in my "neighborhood"...which I consider to be anywhere within a several block area surrounding my house.

And you cannot logically get "Pit Bulls don't have to be trained to be violent unlike X, Y, and Z" from Hacker's post.

Don't have to get it from his post, its pretty much commonly known.

I have to deal with a large roaming Bull Mastiff every day in my community, because my neighbors are too lazy to walk it. It's run out on me twice.

I would deal with this Mastiff one time. We farmers don't have problems, we fix problems.

I disagree about the pits being naturally violent. I have raised several litters of pit pups and not a single one gave the slightest hint of being aggressive and that was with a couple different bloodlines in each litter. So to me(and everyone has their opinion) it's all about who raises the dogs no matter the breed.

A funny twist. Mercer County's commissioner states that it will not treat pit bulls differently than other dogs. This means: the Mercer County Animal Shelter will return all confiscated Pit Bulls to their owners upon request. This, of course, wholly neutered the ordinance!

Bluefield, WV now intends to sue to force the MCAC to abide by its ordinance. Absent code provisions that mandate this, Bluefield, WV cannot force Mercer County to do anything.

There are two options. One, Bluefield, WV must build its own shelter. Two, live with the embarrassment of having a toothless ordinance on the books. I'm loving this. You go, Mercer County.

A funny twist. Mercer County's commissioner states that it will not treat pit bulls differently than other dogs. This means: the Mercer County Animal Shelter will return all confiscated Pit Bulls to their owners upon request. This, of course, wholly neutered the ordinance!

Bluefield, WV now intends to sue to force the MCAC to abide by its ordinance. Absent code provisions that mandate this, Bluefield, WV cannot force Mercer County to do anything.

There are two options. One, Bluefield, WV must build its own shelter. Two, live with the embarrassment of having a toothless ordinance on the books. I'm loving this. You go, Mercer County.

Well, I guess the owners could take them back and continue to get fined......would be just fine with me....or better yet, send them to jail for not complying.....Surely they can find somebody to take these loving animals off of their hands OUT OF CITY LIMITS!! I believe most city residents support the ban....

Well, I guess the owners could take them back and continue to get fined......would be just fine with me....or better yet, send them to jail for not complying.....Surely they can find somebody to take these loving animals off of their hands OUT OF CITY LIMITS!! I believe most city residents support the ban....

This city resident doesn't. Even if I did support it, I wouldn't be too confident in it.

Who is going to fine these owners? You know the city won't. It's like clockwork with every issue. The city passes an ordinance that is supposed to be enforced. It never happens. Do you really think that the city is going to be competent enough to stop this? Are they capable? Yes. But will they do it? No. It requires work. Work that no one on the board and/or associated with it will do. The reason this banning has even come to this is because the city and its employees failed to enforce their existing ordinances in the first place.

"Ban" Pits, that's fine. Someone has to see it that the job gets done and I guarantee you they won't. There will still be Pits running the streets... along with, in all likelihood, an increase in those other "vicious" dogs too like German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rotties, etc.

A. The fine is not large enough to prevent repeat offenders.

B. There is no provision to "jail" repeat violators of a CIVIL ordinance.

C. Most city residents were solidly AGAINST the ban. Notice the outpouring at the meeting.

This city resident doesn't. Even if I did support it, I wouldn't be too confident in it.

Who is going to fine these owners? You know the city won't. It's like clockwork with every issue. The city passes an ordinance that is supposed to be enforced. It never happens. Do you really think that the city is going to be competent enough to stop this? Are they capable? Yes. But will they do it? No. It requires work. Work that no one on the board and/or associated with it will do. The reason this banning has even come to this is because the city and its employees failed to enforce their existing ordinances in the first place.

"Ban" Pits, that's fine. Someone has to see it that the job gets done and I guarantee you they won't. There will still be Pits running the streets... along with, in all likelihood, an increase in those other "vicious" dogs too like German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rotties, etc.

No more calls...

I just find it funny that Mercer County flat out told Bluefield "yeah, we're not doing your dirty work." And as you say, Bluefield, WV's got a lot of quit in it...

You are a mountain of a man, but you are just one man. ;)

And a handful of people in a room is not a majority. BTW, several of the folks that were at the meetings protesting weren't even residents of the City of Bluefield...

A. The fine is not large enough to prevent repeat offenders.

B. There is no provision to "jail" repeat violators of a CIVIL ordinance.

C. Most city residents were solidly AGAINST the ban. Notice the outpouring at the meeting.

B.S.

EVERYBODY I've talked to in my neighborhood want them banned.

Edited by futbolking