Is Virginia High Going to the Former SWD?

V-Cats

The football ratings scale was the firsr one that was released, last April.

It's similar to the one from a few years ago that gave different points for each Division.

You get 4 points for playing a 1A, 6 for 2A, 8 for 3A, etc., then 12 more for a win.

Rider points are - 1 for each win by any (non-private) opponent you LOST to, or 2 if you beat them.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-ratings-committee-minutes-042012.pdf

so playing 5 1A teams vs 5 2A teams is going to cost you 10 points...win/loss/riders not considered.

I think we need to just do away with districts. I understand the travel purpose but it does Graham or Bland no favors having to play each other in Football and some other sports. I wish we could get to that level but when 95% of your football kids go from one sport to the next that only leaves summer to get bigger faster stronger. Some would say offer weight lifting as a class, good idea but with so few of students scheduling that is not possible. That has been tried before.

to me, bottom line is that if you are going to maintain the districts, then put teams where they should be and historically have always played in some cases and unless there is a reason for a mixed district such as Abingdon being the only 3A school around here, then don't mix them. Tazewell and Graham can travel to VA High just fine...they always have and the trip hasn't gotten any longer in the past 30+ years.

The districts should also mean something and be at least 6 teams...no more 3 or 4 team districts...if everyone played where they belonged this would not be an issue anyway as you would have mostly 6 to 8 team districts, playing other schools of the same level and travel times not that bad overall. District champ should get an automatic bid and then points for the rest of the teams to get in. This shouldn't be a big deal if you have 6 or 8 team districts as the top team would probably make it in 90% of the time anyway?

Teams like Marion that want to avoid playing in a district with Richlands and such...they should have a zero tolerance policy and put them where they belong.

As it stands right now i don't how much more the VHSL could have screwed things up.

Marion does not want to be with those schools. They would rather be in the Hogo or with proximal schools because it lightens their travel and consequently, their competition.

Disagree....

Chilhowie will still be the premier baseball team in the district...

GW will still be the premiere football team in the district...

Marion will compete with GW in basketball...

Marion will probably be the premier Boys soccer team in the district....

You'll get more points losing to them then they'll get beating you...

You won't have to play them in conference play anyway...

What's everybody so afraid of?

Whatever happened to wanting to play a tougher schedule and larger teams...

Glen Carlock went out of his way to make sure that Graham played schools 2, 3 or 4 times their size on a consistent basis....and they competed very well against them...it's what made them better.

On a tangent....

I know for a fact that Marion is disappointed in losing Graham from their schedule, but Graham decided to go in a different direction with Giles and Grundy....dropping Marion and Princeton... I thought the matchup with Graham and Marion for the past several years was a pretty good one... I would've preferred to see Marion on Graham's schedule than Grundy (no offense Lance). Easy to travel to and usually good competition.

Edited by futbolking

Graham, Grayson and Fort are all D-2

Bland, Narrows and Galax are all D-1

Are we rounding down and calling the MED a D-1 district???

Fort drops to D1 (1A in the new terms) next year, so it'll be 2 AA teams and 4 1A teams.

Fort drops to D1 (1A in the new terms) next year, so it'll be 2 AA teams and 4 1A teams.

Still think it's a good fit for Graham, they will be a small AA team...around 500 students...

They will be playing Richlands, Tazewell, Bluefield, Giles and Grundy for their out of district opponents

That's 4 D-2's and a D-1... Plus Galax and Fort Chiswell will be very good D-1 schools.... I'll take it.

Richlands, Giles, Bluefield....playing those guys out of district will pay off in the long run.

As long as the competition is good, doesn't really matter if it's D-1 or D-2 to me..

Edited by futbolking

I would've preferred to see Marion on Graham's schedule than Grundy (no offense Lance). Easy to travel to and usually good competition.

none taken...but Grundy vs Graham is a traditional SWD match up, so can't really complain much there. I'm a little worried about Grundy's level of competition over the next couple of seasons, I know they have some good skill players on the way up, but I'm not sure what we are going to have the next couple of years? could be really good...or....

Disagree....

Chilhowie will still be the premier baseball team in the district...

GW will still be the premiere football team in the district...

Marion will compete with GW in basketball...

Marion will probably be the premier Boys soccer team in the district....

You'll get more points losing to them then they'll get beating you...

You won't have to play them in conference play anyway...

What's everybody so afraid of?

Whatever happened to wanting to play a tougher schedule and larger teams...

Glen Carlock went out of his way to make sure that Graham played schools 2, 3 or 4 times their size on a consistent basis....and they competed very well against them...it's what made them better.

On a tangent....

I know for a fact that Marion is disappointed in losing Graham from their schedule, but Graham decided to go in a different direction with Giles and Grundy....dropping Marion and Princeton... I thought the matchup with Graham and Marion for the past several years was a pretty good one... I would've preferred to see Marion on Graham's schedule than Grundy (no offense Lance). Easy to travel to and usually good competition.

I'm not sure you know what you're disagreeing with. Marion coming into the district is no big deal to the district. They'll be competitive but they won't dominate at anything off the bat. Competitively they're a good fit. My gripe is that it somewhat limits Marion in conference play in terms of pointing and competiton. Playing the bottom half of the hogo is weaker competition than the bottom half of the swd in most any sport. The same can be said for the top half most of the time. The hogo might have a good team or two but not the cumulative effect that a district wth similar school sizes might have. Aside from travel, it doesn't make sense for Marion. I would rather play against teams similar to those i might encounter post season and play a more challenging schedule. Works out well for the hogo teams though.

Edited by deuceswild

How is the new setup that much different than the old one?

People act as if it's some kind of travesty that 1A and 2A schools are in the same district, but essentially it's the same as the three-class setup with two divisions per class. For instance in the old Group A, the LPD had D1 schools in Clintwood and Burton, and D2 schools in Union and Central.

If the three-class setup still existed and Marion dropped down to Group A, there's a good chance they'd be in the Hogoheegee, same as now. Graham had to play a mix of D1 and D2 schools in the MED the last two years. They still will...they'll just be called 1A and 2A instead. If D1 and D2 teams could be in the same district, why can't D2 and D3? What's the difference?

At least the six classes are equal now because they are divided at the state and not regional level. No more of this BS where some school with 550 kids makes the D1 final four against a school with 200.

I agree with Lance in that too many teams make the post-season, but the new setup may actually improve that problem in sports like basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball. When divisional play started in those sports a few years back, pretty much everyone made the regional playoffs. At least NOW the conference tournaments will act like the district tournament did 10+ years ago and produce just two teams that will move on to regionals.

They will be playing Richlands, Tazewell, Bluefield, Giles and Grundy for their out of district opponents

That's 4 D-2's and a D-1...

FYI...all five of the schools you mentioned will be "D-2" next season...

...bottom line is that if you are going to maintain the districts...

As it stands right now i don't how much more the VHSL could have screwed things up.

My read on this is that the VHSL isn't really interested in maintaining the district alignment at all. Their present acceptance of oversight seems to indicate that they are tolerating districts as an organizational tool. And ultimately, I can see them abandoning them altogether along the lines of, "We don't really care who you play during the regular season. But to compete for any kind of 'legitimate' championship, you're going to do it the way we say you will."

Completely agreed. I've stated it before, but I have two gigantic beefs with this system. One, you hit here: if you're going to have "districts", make sure all the teams in said "district" are in the same classification as to avoid the problem that will arise for teams like Graham. Two, the whole "conference" concept is wholly unnecessary: just implement them in place of districts and be set on your merry way.

Well said!

the reason for maintaining some type of district system is as many have mentioned earlier, to maintain and ease scheduling conflicts.

However,

The more important reason is the powers that be, the VHSL, had opposition to many who just didn't want to lose the old rivalries, this was a HUGE issue. So the compromise was to maintain disctricts for "traveling and scheduling purposes," when actually it had more to do with people not wanting to see the district system completely dismantled.

IMO, it is dismantled, but for the time being folks will be somewhat happy, that the old rivalries are maintained.

Not saying I support this mess, just stating the obvious.

the reason for maintaining some type of district system is as many have mentioned earlier, to maintain and ease scheduling conflicts.

However,

The more important reason is the powers that be, the VHSL, had opposition to many who just didn't want to lose the old rivalries, this was a HUGE issue. So the compromise was to maintain disctricts for "traveling and scheduling purposes," when actually it had more to do with people not wanting to see the district system completely dismantled.

IMO, it is dismantled, but for the time being folks will be somewhat happy, that the old rivalries are maintained.

Not saying I support this mess, just stating the obvious.

if that was true they would have put Grundy and Graham back in the SWD where they belong anyway.